UFC 148 Weigh-In Results (VIDEO)

The final hump for UFC middleweights Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen to get over arrived in the form of tonight’s UFC 148 weigh-ins where both men made weight for their main event meeting before squaring off for what was as predicted another intense staredown. This past Tuesday, divisional champ Silva forced Sonnen backward after going chest-to-chest and had to be held back by UFC President Dana White in order to ensure things didn’t get out of hand.

Things, however, got physical this time around with Silva delivering a shoulder-bump when the two went toe-to-toe after each hitting their weight-related marks. The move was a tipping point for the 8,000+ in attendance who went from splitting their cheers/boos between the fighters to showering “The Spider” with their disapproval.

Also worth noting, today’s festivities also marked the final appearance of soon-to-be Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz on the scale, as the former light heavyweight champ is set to retire after his co-headlining clash Forrest Griffin.

Footage from the weigh-ins followed by complete breakdown of weights can be found below:

Rafaello Oliveira (156 lbs) vs. Yoislandy Izquierdo (156 lbs)
Shane Roller (155 lbs) vs. John Alessio (156 lbs)
Constantinos Philppou (186 lbs) vs. Riki Fukuda (185 lbs)
Gleison Tibau (155 lbs) vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov (155 lbs)
Melvin Guillard (155 lbs) vs. Fabricio Camoes (156 lbs)
Ivan Menjivar (136 lbs) vs. Mike Easton (135 lbs)
Chad Mendes (146 lbs) vs. Cody McKenzie (145 lbs)
Dong Hyun Kim (170 lbs) vs. Demian Maia (170 lbs)
Cung Le (185 lbs) vs. Patrick Cote (185 lbs)
Forrest Griffin (204 lbs) vs. Tito Ortiz (204 lbs)
Anderson Silva (184 lbs) vs. Chael Sonnen (185 lbs)

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• THEGUNNER says:

Cody looks like tom green.

• AlphaOmega says:

I couldn’t get any of the vids to work, here or the 3 the ufc posted on twitter to watch

• Creature says:

If Silva is this irate before the fight even starts, i wonder how emotional hes going to be when he loses tomorrow night ;)

• AlphaOmega says:

oh wait its working now

• Lord Faust says:

Man, you guys need to watch some pro-wrestling. That shoulder was as intentional and contrived as possible; Silva knows exactly what he’s doing. If Silva was really that mad he could have suckerpunched Chael, gone back to Brazil with his millions and left Chael with another botched title fight where he would get the belt by default — like in his ‘win’ over Filho via dementia.

• Lord Faust says:

Cody looks like tom green.

Speaking as a Canadian, there is no need for such vulgar language. :P

• Creature says:

Why would he suckerpunch him and put such a dark stamp on his legacy? Whats one punch compared to the possibility of getting multiple punches and kicks? Hes pissed off not full blown retarded cmon now. Its obvious hes trying to give Chael some of his own medicine and get into his head, but all the while Chael has remained calm and collected laughing at Silva on the inside because he knows hes gotten Silva to snap which is exactly what hes been trying to do.

Silva is going to be like a raging bull, and its going to be Chael standing there going “olay” until the final bell sounds the end of the fight

• THEGUNNER says:

Silva looked a little shaky. Im starting to think sonnens gonna frustrate him and get a ref stoppage which I hope dont happen because then he ll stay around longer.

• AlphaOmega says:

I don’t know forrest and tito looked more angry to me then Silva did, I think Silva just wanted to give him a little pop to aggravate chael

• Lord Faust says:

I respect the contrary opinions here, but this mental aspect is just stupid, and I am tired of people giving it credibility. Unless you’re Anderson Silva or Chael Sonnen then you don’t know what’s going through their heads.

“He’s in his head”, “he got to him”, on and on. None of that can be proven, and the bearing it has on the fight will be minimal — at best. These are professional fighters, they quite literally eat, sleep and breathe this sport; some pre-fight histrionics are going to have little-to-no effect.

Also, I am just sick to death of talking about this fight. Once it’s over, and Chael’s working on giving us an accurate count of the number of lights hanging over the cage, I will be happy to finally talk about something else.

It’s 9PM on a Friday night. I just got off work and I think I’m going to drink myself into a coma until about 4PM tomorrow afternoon.

One way or another, this shit is getting settled. I obviously made my pick, either way, I just want a good fight to reward me for surviving this tsunami of hype.

• AlphaOmega says:

This hype while a lot of, was no where near as bad as Evans vs Jones though.

• Lord Faust says:

I think the problem with Jones / Evans was they were milking such a bland story. Like blood from a stone…

Jones / Evans was like a feud over a tree-fort and neither guy really has much verbal charisma. Chael at least kept dropping soundbytes that probably gave the media a long enough sustained erection that they considered calling 911.

You’re right though, that build up was grueling. This, I think is worse largely because it’s actually polarized a lot of forums; I basically swore off every other site but 5oz for the last week — I’ll admit it, I couldn’t handle it!

• moosebaby02 says:

Amen Lord Faust Amen

• Creature says:

Jesus Faust i think your getting a little to worked up over it, maybe someone is getting in your head!?!?

Lol im kidding im kidding ;) i understand what you mean, but in truth either argument could equally be correct or incorrect lets just leave it at that.

So does anyone else do the whole Sherdog Pick em thing? I just recently started doing that, figured id see if anyone else does so i can compare some picks, since this site is prolly the best on the internet and is full of actually intelligent people and not a bunch of 13 year old trolls, it would be the best place to ask.

• raker says:

Anderson looked so different than what I’ve grown used to seeing in the first fight that I can’t rule out that there wasnt an underlying issue. He got out struck by a wrestler, was easily rocked and gave hardly any resistance to being taken down. I thought that perhaps we were seeing a fighter get old and have diminished skills, like Roy Jones Jr., but he was back to his old antics versus Vitor and Okami. We’ve heard about the possibility of broken ribs but I read an article by Showdown Joe today that indicated that Silva was so bothered by the Nogueira brothers BJJ comment that he allowed himself to be taken down so that he could submit Chael. This seems likely and if he keeps this fight standing itll get ugly for Chael quickly.

• raker says:

I wanna see Sonnen – Henderson really bad!!

• hindsightufuk says:

never wanted to see a white man raped so bad

• Creature says:

Sonnen/Hendo would be a hell of a fight, but it will never happen, there old teammates and friends.

Even though there both about to be champs in their divisions ;)

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yeah that could be it Raker or perhaps it could be that he has never been able to defend good takedowns. Right throughout his career he has not been able to defend takedowns very well. Against some inferior takedowns he has done well but Luter, Hendo, Chael, Newton all took him down and dominated him. Its not new, its not a freak event, its not something we havnt seen before, infact we have seen it everytime he has fought a guy with good wrestling and sometimes against guys with just OK wrestling.
    Irvin, Okami, Belfort, Leben, Cote, Franklin, Forrest etc made either no takedown attempts or very few poor ones. Maia and Leites butt scooted around the cage and Silva refused to follow them down.

• AlphaOmega says:

I could be wrong Logic, but I think raker was talking about the fact that Chael was able to rock Silva and actually stand with him for a bit, not just his takedowns.

I expected to see a long Richard post by now, hope he’s not out of town and unable to see the fight.

• raker says:

Silva has only been taken down more than once in two of his UFC fights…. Lutter and Chael. Being taken down by a world class grappler doesn’t necessarily mean that he has bad takedown defense, just that a particular fighters takedowns are really good. Still, he didn’t put up any resistance to Chaels takedowns and lost the stand up battle in the first fight too. There were times when he was tagged repeatedly without even moving. That’s not the fighter I’m used to watching. I’m really just curious as to whether he got caught up in trying to submit Chael last time and actually underestimated him too. I dont think its that far fetched. I guess we’ll see tonite.

• qat says:

Its true that Silva’s standup in the first fight seemed strange too, we arent used to see him get tagged like that.
    Roy Nelson said it might be that Silva has almost no trouble fighting orthodox guys, but has much more trouble against southpaws like Chael, also im very sure he underestimated him in the standup big time.

Well there are a lot of questions, we will get the answers tonight!
    Im rooting for Chael, but my money is on Silva..

• AlphaOmega says:

I wonder if that is true qat, because I’ve heard for the longest time that silva can’t beat Machida when they are sparring, that he hasn’t been able to one time.

• hindsightufuk says:

i just rewatched the first fight in anticipation of tonight and i noticed in the first round Chael does catch Silva pretty good while standing and lands a few more, Anderson seems kinda wobbly but then he drops his hands and takes a couple more solid punches to the chin, actually invites those punches.
    chael seems to then just keep catching him throughout the fight and keeps Silva off guard, when Silva hits the deck in 5 its a slip. i thought from rd 3 on Silva was way better in the stand up and if he coulda kept the fight standing could have done some damage. also seemed the entire fight he was constantly protecting and resting on that right hand rib cage, makes you wonder how bad the damage really was. Also in rd 5 Chael got sloppy, sunk really low in Silvas guard, inviting the triangle, Silva had no choice but to take it, guarenteed if the fight gets that far he wont lose concentration that deep again.
    i also think Anderson will just go batshit crazy with elbows from the bottom if he is taken down. all those cuts Chael had in the first fight were from Silva elbows from the guard.

cant wait to see the contrest, shame Chael is such a tool, cos he sure can put on a fight.
    no idea who takes this one though i hope its Anderson, i cant ake any more ego

• Lord Faust says:

LOL, no hard feelings over anything said in the build-up to this fight. In hindsight, I think it’s awesome that a fight has stirred up so much emotion. I woke up this morning feeling like I was 10 years old, awake at 6:00AM on Christmas Day, and I just have to hold out a little longer to open my presents.

Regardless of how this event turns out, the shit talk has been epic, the discussions pretty damn fun, and I think we’re in for a piece of history unfolding tonight.

• darth_irritable says:

I think Qat put his finger on it – in the first, Silva’s standup was so off – seriously? he got outpunched by Sonnen? – that I think it really speaks to his rib injury.

I think Silva puts a beating down for 2.5 rounds – because he can (I think he could finish this in the first if he wants) then ends it brutally.

Also – this article is awesome:

• Lord Faust says:

I don’t think Chael being a southpaw is a big deal. Look up the Judo Chop series of articles about Silva’s striking and the way he perfectly dismantled Okami — who is also a southpaw.

• Lord Faust says:

Oh, and since I don’t know when the real-time result post goes up, here are my picks:

Silva, Griffin, Côté, Mendes, Kim, and Easton.

Silva via massacre round 2