Chael Sonnen: “I’m going to beat Anderson up.”

While UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva confirmed he would remain loyal to his MMA roots and show Chael Sonnen respect after their fight Saturday night, the idea that Sonnen will do the same seemed highly unlikely given his past behavior. “The Spider” has been the focal point of Sonnen’s verbal assaults for years based on a few person issues as well as the fact he’s the divisional king.

Though custom says the referee will ask the fighters if they want to touch gloves before the action starts, this time around the practice doesn’t appear to be necessary.

“No – no touching of the gloves,” said Sonnen during a recent interview with MMAJunkie. “I’m here to fight.”

Sonnen went on to say he doesn’t hate Silva, but added, “I want to beat Anderson up. I’m going to beat Anderson up. He’s a phony, a fraud, and he’s got what I want.”

Fans can catch their epic encounter tonight on PPV with things starting up at 10:00 PM EST. Prelims will air on FX/Facebook in the hours leading up to the main card.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

“However, Sonnen did say he would shake hands with Silva after they fight, because, “I will always shake hands, win or lose, after a competition.”

HA, I knew they’d at least shake hands if not hug

• darth_irritable says:

He’ll certainly be beating up Anderson’s fists with his brutal chin assault.

Silva is going to embarrass him

• Richard Stabone says:

Alpha, you know by now not to take anything Chael says at face value :)

Once he gets smashed tonight, we’ll see if he’s in the mood for (or capable of) handshakes & hugs.

• Lord Faust says:

His hands will be shaking all right. Like Schaub doing the unconscious rope-climb.

• raker says:

My gut is telling me that this fight is going to be completely different than the last one. Same guys wins of course. Silva by complete destruction. Round 2 4:15.

• Richard Stabone says:

I’m a fan of pretty much all professional (men’s) sports, and this was literally the easiest big time sporting event to predict in my lifetime. Seriously. I still don’t get how people let the wool be pulled over their eyes.

• Richard Stabone says:

It really is a shame Chael blew his chance at politics with the federal charge & guilty plea to money laundering. Chael is a really good fighter but I have no doubt he could do better in politics; that’s his real calling. Think of how much support (and tax money) he could have drummed up for whatever level of government he was afforded to occupy. Whatashame.