Forrest Griffin: “I worked too hard to gas out.”

Last night didn’t mark the first time UFC light heavyweight Forrest Griffin fled from the Octagon after a bout’s conclusion but was definitely the only instance of him doing so before an outcome in the match-up had even been rendered. The fan-favorite and former champion ran out of the ring seconds after the final round of his co-headlining clash with Tito Ortiz and had to be steered back inside by event officials so scorecards could be read, leaving many to wonder about the root of his antics.

Griffin, who ultimately won a Unanimous Decision, spoke about his behavior in a post-fight interview on Fuel TV where he explained he wasn’t worried about losing but rather concerned with how he’d won.

“I was upset with my performance. I knew he had nothing and I still didn’t…he had nothing, I saw it in him…and I said, “Okay, I’m gon-…Oh my gosh, I don’t have anything either!’ People want to see fights finished. And a guy gasses, you have an opportunity to finish. It’s really about that discipline and that conditioning. I worked too hard to gas out,” said Griffin, noting that there was a two minute span in the third round where it was clear to him Ortiz was running on fumes.

As far as what’s next for Griffin, in standard self-deprecating style the original Ultimate Fighter dead-panned, “Well, there (are) still other old guys fighting,” indicating he no longer believes he can compete against fresher talent based on the outcome against Ortiz.

Watch the full interview with Griffin below where he also discusses being rocked by Ortiz and more:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

According to a livid Dana at the post-fight presser, he’s fighting Cody McKenzie next.

• AlphaOmega says:

He also laughed right after saying that Faust. Forrest said he was in a weird state of mind after that fight, and he’s apologized so much for taking the mic from rogan, I think he genuinely feels bad about doing that and wishes it’d never happened

• hindsightufuk says:

its a shame man, i always enjoyed watching Forrest fight but he seems to be getting worse. his punches were missing Titos big ol head constantly, his aim was abismal. i acnt think of too many fights that really suit Forrest now, a third with Stephan maybe, but other than that there doesnt many others he could really compete with

• AlphaOmega says:

It was mentioned here before and I think it’d be a cool idea, do a TUF with forrest and bonner, then have them fight the third fight with it being both of their retirement fight

• Lord Faust says:

Both guys looked broken down. Not sure what happened to the Forrest who outstruck Rashad Evans until he got caught clean, or who fought a technical, smart fight against Rampage.

The weird behaviour makes me wonder about all the times he’s had his bell rung. There’s not much difference between some of his outbursts and the horror stories you hear from ex-football players.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

As I said in another thread, Forrest should’ve STFU and given the mic to Tito, rather than try to pull off a comedy schtick.
    Tito earned the right to have the mic and address the crowd on his ‘final’ UFC fight.
    It was one moment I was looking forward to.

DW said Forrest & Bonnar weren’t in line for TUF… He didn’t seem to enthusiastic about the match up…

Sorry or not Forrest shouldn’t get a pass on that bs…. Tito should have been able to address the crowd his way and have a moment on the mic not be asked ?s by his opponent whom he just lost to in his final fight… Even when Forrest was done they should have made more time for Tito… Love him or hate him he deserved the mic.

• Lord Faust says:

Something I had forgotten about, but Tito was shit-talking Mark Coleman from the audience during his retirement speech. Doesn’t make what Forrest did right, but it’s a rather amusing coincidence.

• Angry Mike says:

I thought Forrest’s interview with Tito was hilarious, especially since he did a credible job. And because he was coherent and reasonably articulate, I don’t think you can blame it on a concussion or the cumulative effects of concussions. Forrest is a goofball, usually harmless, and this is what happens when he’s in the spotlight. Who wants to hear Tito talk, and what would he say? Every time he’s interviewed he rehashes the same stuff about how he carried the UFC back in the day and doesn’t believe he was adequately compensated for it. Even if it’s true, I’ve heard it too many times to listen to it again.

• AlphaOmega says:

Breaking news…Tito broke his thumb.