“Rampage” Jackson offers up his take on Ortiz-Griffin III

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson has been very critical of MMA judges in the past.

Jackson, who last fought in Japan at UFC 144 against Ryan Bader, has been away from the sport for several months. That, however, doesn’t mean he hasn’t been paying attention to what is going on.

Saturday night, Tito Ortiz competed for the final time against Forrest Griffin at UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II. Ortiz was handed a decision loss in the fight, giving Griffin a 2-1 advantage in head-to-head meetings.

Jackson sounded off on Twitter that he believed Ortiz should have been declared the victor.

“I feel bad for Tito Ortiz he won 2 out of 3 rounds. Y cheat a man on his last fight?” Jackson posted. “It’s scary when u can drop a fighter twice n still lose.”

Jackson, of course, lost to Griffin several years ago now for the UFC light heavyweight title. “Rampage” earned another shot against current champion Jon Jones last year, but was defeated via submission.

PHOTO CREDIT – LEXANI TIRES/UFC

• Lord Faust says:

Forrest outstruck Tito something like 3:1. Rampage still does not understand how he lost to Forrest, not a surprise that he would misjudge this fight.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Just for the record, I think Jackson’s nickname should have a ‘?’ added to it. eg.
    “Rampage?” Jackson offers up his take on Ortiz- Griffin III.

Griffin won,and Tito’s awesome.

Griffin approached Douchebag status when he hogged the mic post-fight.
    He should have just STFU’d and let Tito have his moment to address the crowd.
    Bad form by the UFC for not giving Tito the stick.

Forrest was a dick last night.

• YetiLee says:

I agree with Rampage, sure Forrest threw more strikes but they were weaker and never once was he close to finishing Tito. I also had Tito winning 2 rounds.

• AlphaOmega says:

I had tito winning round one, Forrest rd 2, and I thought it could of went either way on rd 3, sure tito got the take down but after they got up tito didn’t really do anything and forrest did throw punches.

• Lord Faust says:

Tito had a few flashes of control, but only in his final rally did it really seem to accomplish anything. It was a shitty fight, but Forrest landed more strikes — both in volume and significance — while Tito gassed in the first 3 minutes and plodded around for the rest of the fight.

I only have Tito round 3.

• Lord Faust says:

Thumbs down does not change mathematical fact: FightMetric Report.

The only way that fight gets scored for Tito is if you disregard reality.

• king mah mah says:

I could care less how much he was outstruck. Even if it was three to one ratio Tito still dropped him twice and was the only one remotely close to finishing the fight.

I thought tito won. If someone punches you three times, but you keep moving forward and then land one punch that drops the other guy, I would say you’re winning the fight. Thats your 3:1 ratio for ya.

• Lord Faust says:

Tito’s only rally was at the end of the fight. The few times Tito had Forrest down, he couldn’t go anything in his guard. The rest of the fight, Tito stood flat footed and got punched / kicked. Forrest was more aggressive, more active, and had more effective striking — you know, the criteria used to measure a fight.

• Paulo says:

@ Lord Faust: I agree that Forrest won, but I thought it was way closer than Fightmetric would make it out to be. It really depends on how you judge a fight since the criteria isn’t so clear cut. What scores more… quantity or quality? In boxing’s 10 point system, every knockdown loses you a point. Tito would have won had this been a boxing match. I think a lot of viewers still see scoring like that. This isn’t boxing, but at the same time, we don’t have clear cut scoring methods. Just to put how difficult it can be into perspective. What if Tito floored Forrest twice in one round and hurt him, but Forrest still outlanded him 3 to 1 in the same round. Who wins the round? I would say Tito for effectiveness but Fightmetric would say Forrest. It’s tough to be a judge sometimes.

• Lord Faust says:

I absolutely agree it looked closer than the numbers indicate, but I thought Forrest’s win was pretty obvious. I’m normally pretty good at predicting judge scores, and it seemed like a clear 29-28 win for Forrest. If Tito had been just a little more controlling when he had top position, he could have very possibly stolen one of the earlier rounds.

I’m not trying to say Forrest dominated Tito, but he was busier and was landed more. Forrest won a clear point fight, IMO.

I still marked out big time when Tito rocked him at the end. I don’t think Tito’s got anything to be ashamed of in this last fight; his body is being held together by science — he’s been through a lot and it’s time to finally relax.

• king mah mah says:

Tito dropped him in the 2nd and third plus he controlled the first half of round one.

• Lord Faust says:

Disagree. Tito had roughly 3 minutes of offence over the course of the entire fight.

• AlphaOmega says:

I still think it was closer then a UD, but agree with Forrest winning, but think he should of won a Split..again