Chael Sonnen admits Anderson Silva is better than him

Given the outrage expressed by some fans regarding Anderson Silva’s in-ring antics against Chael Sonnen this past Saturday night at UFC 148, it seems the fallen contender has plenty of ammo to fire in the Brazilian’s direction in hopes of earning a third title-fight in the immediate future. The criticism surrounding Silva stemmed from the champion spreading Vaseline from his face onto his body before the start of the opening round, as well as from gripping Sonnen’s shorts at times to control his movement.

However, at the post-event press conference Sonnen was not only respectful of his rival but quite humble as well.

“Anderson grabbed my trunks but I grabbed his right back. It goes both ways,” said Sonnen, not taking the bait when asked about the matter. “And we can’t sit and nitpick some of that stuff. It’s a two-man sport. It’s kind of like moving the chains in football. It evens itself out. What goes around comes around. If Anderson grabbed my shorts tonight I’ll grab somebody else’s down the road.”

Sonnen also showed Silva some love when discussing the title-holder’s offer of a handshake and future BBQ, expressing appreciation for Silva’s sportsmanship and offering it back in return.

“I thought it was very nice of him,” said a gracious Sonnen. “It’s very important when you lose a fight that you don’t say things like, ‘My opponent was better…tonight.’ The better guy wins every time. The better guy won tonight.”

While the two talented 185ers aren’t quite exchanging Christmas cards just yet, it seems the bad blood between the two has gone from a raging boil to a mild simmer…at least until Sonnen’s next run at the divisional strap, that is.

Check out some Sonnen’s responses at the presser, plus Silva explaining how motivated he still is, in the video below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

LOL pretty sure he’s appealing the legal knee strike. (Rumoured on Twitter, anyway.)

• AlphaOmega says:

I just saw that Faust, but it said that his camp wants to appeal the legal knee, so wonder if its him and his camp, or just his camp.

• THEGUNNER says:

At least he stopped lying to himself. Im hoping to see silve smash bisping next.

• Lord Faust says:

I really hope it’s his camp. Chael was gracious in defeat and seemed genuine at the press conference. He knows he lost fairly.

• Lord Faust says:

Looks like it was his coach. Near as I can tell, they didn’t go through with it yet.

Probably wise, considering the NSAC didn’t see anything wrong with the judging in the Pacquiao fight. Even if he had a case — which he doesn’t — I doubt they would act on the appeal.

• Angry Mike says:

I thought Silva’s remark about the bbq was a reference to Sonnen’s pre-fight statement about going by Silva’s house and having Silva’s wife make him a steak. From that perspective, I thought Silva’s remark was sarcastic rather than sincere. Sonnen kind of chuckled, so I think he realized what it was, too.

• AlphaOmega says:

I saw two rumors of why they wanted to appeal it, one being that Silva had the intent to throw at his head and either missed or changed his mind, which you cant prove. And two was that silva’s thigh grazed chael’s chin after silva threw the knee, which is kinda obvious since silva has kinda big thighs.

I saw it that way too Mike, it was funny though

• Lord Faust says:

I think Silva was 50/50 sincere / sarcastic in his comment. Speaking from experience, it’s easy to be the bigger man when you just dummied a guy. Throwing one of Chael’s more incendiary remarks back at him was just icing on the cake — I assume they serve cake at BBQs in Brazil anyway.

Silva aimed precisely at the target Chael drew for him: see here.

Also, Chael moved his face into the line of fire. Whatever contact Silva’s leg made with his face with aided by Sonnen’s movement.

• darth_irritable says:

I actually read the whole post-fight behavior on Silva’s part as a complete snub. Kind of like a participation prize. Just a complete slap in the face.

“Hey not only did I just mess you up, but now I’m going to have everyone cheer for you, because you gotta have _something_.”

• darth_irritable says:

Though – I have to give Kudos to Sonnen. No post-fight BS – he’s owning his failure like the anti-Tito.