Dana White: “I’m not done talking to Forrest yet.”

The final fight of Tito Ortiz’s career will be remembered for a number of things including his competitive desire and how close he came to beating Forrest Griffin, knocking his fellow former champion down on two separate occasions. However, unfortunately, it will also be remembered for Griffin’s strange behavior after the bout’s conclusion.

Griffin exited the Octagon before the scorecards had even been read and only returned after being instructed to by event officials. Were that not enough, shortly after the judges’ decision was unveiled, Griffin stole the spotlight by offering up an impromptu interview with the retiring Ortiz rather than let broadcaster Joe Rogan talk to the 37-year old icon.

UFC President Dana White was asked about Griffin’s antics during Fuel TV’s coverage of UFC 148 and was noticeably irritated by what he’d witnessed.

“Is this live? Yeah, okay…I said, ‘Are you out of your f*cking mind? What are you doing?’ I just grabbed him in the hallway back there too,” stated an animated White when asked what he’d said to Griffin to make him head back to the ring. “I just grabbed him and said, ‘What is your problem?’ He said, ‘I was upset and disappointed.’ I said, ‘Well, next time you’re upset and disappointed about winning, do it in the back.’ Stay in the Octagon. It’s like professional suicide. You leave the Octagon before the decision is called in the fight that you won? Are you out of your mind?”

“And then he grabs the mic and starts interviewing,” continued an upset White. “I’m not done talking to Forrest yet. Forrest and I are gonna talk some more. What he did tonight was ridiculous.”

Griffin’s explanation for leaving the cage involved his disgust at his own performance and inability to put away a winded Ortiz.

Watch the full interview with White below including commentary on Anderson Silva’s win over Chael Sonnen:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

Despite outward appearances, I am sure Forrest is very well-off financially. Given his recent actions, performances, and general demeanor, I think all parties would be best served by Forrest retiring.

I’m not trying to be funny whatsoever, but the guy either has some serious emotional problems and / or has taken way too many shots to the head. The guy is not totally grounded. I don’t think more head trauma in fights, or even training, are a great idea for Forrest.

Sincerely, a concerned fight fan.

• AlphaOmega says:

You know out of everyone being mad about forrest doing the fight interview, the one person who probably should be mad hasn’t said anything and was laughing the whole time, and that’s Joe Rogan. I don’t know maybe I’m just weird and don’t think it’s that big of a deal, it was entertaining and kinda refreshing and cool.

• AlphaOmega says:

Of course it could also be my bias coming through, I like forrest, I don’t like tito, so that probably affects my opinion of it.

• Lord Faust says:

I think it was the principle of the thing, not what he actually said or did. I can’t speak for others, though.

• fanoftna33 says:

It seemed like a shitty thing to do, running from the cage, then he tried to make up for it and it snowballed into a side show. I wouldnt say it was the worst thing I have ever seen, he didnt put Tito down or whine about a injury but it wasnt the most sportsmanlike thing either.

• Angry Mike says:

I thought it was hilarious. Tito already plenty of attention and accolades before the fight, including his induction into the Hall of Fame. Who cares if Forrest had a little fun with it? His interview wasn’t bad, actually.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 4

• raker says:

My thoughts were that Forrest was trying to show Tito a tremendous amount of respect by, as a fighter who had battled him three times, giving him a parting interview. It was impromptu and fine in my books. I was more bothered by Titos whining about it after the fight. He sure didn’t seem to mind when I re-watched the interview.

Forrest has to learn to stay in the ring though. Bolting out when he doesn’t like the way the fight went is BS.

• Angry Mike says:

If White had any sense of humor, he’d run (no pun intended) with this. Set up an interview between Forrest and him. White could ask him questions like, “What made you run, Forrest, run?” If he gave Forrest the right set up lines, it could be epic.