Frank Mir believes Alistair Overeem is still heavyweight division’s top contender

Frank Mir was the beneficiary when Alistair Overeem was removed from a planned UFC heavyweight title fight with Junior dos Santos earlier this year. Mir, however, was unable to wrestle the belt away from Dos Santos.

Meanwhile, Overeem remains sidelined until the end of the year, but Mir, a former champion himself, believes that “The Reem” should be granted his shot at “Cigano” upon his return.

“I think that’s fair,” said Mir in an interview with MMAMania recently. “What we base #1 contenders on is what happens inside the Octagon. He was #1 contender before the incident. Once he is available again, I don’t see why he doesn’t automatically skyrocket back up.”

Dos Santos has said he believes Overeem needs to be screened several times to prove he is a clean fighter. Overeem has agreed, already submitting monthly tests with the Nevada Athletic Commission to prove that he is not a dirty fighter.

UFC President Dana White has mentioned former divisional king Cain Velasquez as the next opponent for Dos Santos, but nothing has been made official.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Big Stank says:

I don’t care when they fight but I need to see Reem face both JDS and Cain.

• Richard Stabone says:

^ Heck yes.

I believe those are the top 3 guys, with a fairly significant drop off to Werdum after that.

And things were setting up so perfectly too… Overeem vs. JDS in May, with the winner (IMO Reem) then slated to face Cain on New Year’s Eve.

Would have been damn cool. But instead we gotta keep playing the waiting game to see how it all shakes out.

Once the dust settles I think Cain holds the belt.

• Big Stank says:

I also think Reem blasts JDS but struggles with Cains GnP.

• Richard Stabone says:

My thoughts exactly.

Just as I was confident the 2nd Silva-Sonnen fight would be a stark contrast to the first, I think Cain coming in healthy, on weight (instead of 10 lbs heavy like the first fight) and with his usual relentless gas tank will allow him to overwhelm JDS in the rematch.

The striking between JDS and Reem would be amazing though.

• Screenplaya says:

Like most people here, I want to see Junior, Cain, and Reem all fight each other. While I think JDS is marginally the most talented of the three, I think you have to give Cain the slight edge, based on contrasting styles. That is, unless it turns out Junior has crazy-wicked jiu-jitsu and just hasn’t had the chance to show it.

What’s next for Mir? Send him over to SF for a one off with Barnett.

• darth_irritable says:

Rece – give him Cormier. Barnett would be an interesting fight, but since he won’t be thrown at Cain, let’s give him Cain-lite, so we can see how he’d handle that fight.

I’d like to see Nelson get a crack at Barnett.

• Richard Stabone says:

Cormier would ragdoll Mir.

At this point I’d match Mir up with somebody like Bigfoot or Russow.

• Richard Stabone says:

I might be a bit biased against Mir, but I just don’t get what the deal is with him.

Since coming back from the motorcycle wreck, the only top-10 opponent he’s beaten is Nog (who’s been on the backend of his glory days for quite a while now, to be kind). And yet, Mir has had the grand fortune of participating in 3 title fights during that same span… each time getting smashed in a completely lopsided fight.

But people still believe him when he says he’ll go back to the drawing board and come back. Meanwhile, I fail to see when he was ever a legitimate top contender. His most recent title shot was “earned” by beating Cro Cop (where “washed up” is putting it kindly, in what was one of the worst fights in recent memory), followed by a victory over Big Roy (who’s never beaten a top-10 opponent himself, and had walking pneumonia leading up to the Mir fight) and then finally the miracle comeback against Nog.

I mean, yeah, there are lucky runs in Vegas. But when does it run out for Mir? Him fighting Cain would be a complete waste of time with Mir on the receiving end of another concussion. He’s a gatekeeper, and I think after about one more fight this will finally be acknowledged.