Jon Jones says fight with Anderson Silva would be a “lose-lose situation”

One of the few legitimate “super-fights” in MMA is unquestionably a bout between UFC champions Jon Jones and Anderson Silva. Both men have personified greatness in their respective weight classes, taking out a number of high-level adversaries in highlight-reel fashion. However, despite being relatively close in size, neither man has expressed an interest in competing against the other based on mutual respect.

Jones recently elaborated on the reasoning behind his apprehension to action against Silva, calling it a “lose-lose situation”.

“It’s not that he won’t fight me or I won’t fight him. To be dead honest, it’s – we both have a lot to lose. And we both respect each other a lot and we are both striving for personal greatness,” explained Jones on ESPN Radio. “I don’t want to crap on his greatness; I don’t want him crapping on my greatness.”

“If we were in the same weight class, it would be inevitable but it’s like ‘Dude, I’m dominating my weight class, you’re dominating your weight class.’ Some things were just not meant to be seen,” Jones continued, stating he had too much admiration for Silva to risk being the one to beat him.

Presently Jones is preparing for a September title-defense against Dan Henderson, a man Silva beat in 2008. Meanwhile, Silva is fresh off a successful outing this past weekend, retaining his divisional strap after stopping Chael Sonnen with strikes in the second round of their headliner at UFC 148.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Jon Jones means to say ” Don’t fuck wit my paper Braah ”

But seriously I’m all for these guys NOT crossing paths… It may be the right place, but it’s def. the wrong time.

Plus UFC needs as many branded champions to promote there brand and generate interest in ufc as possible… They would never sacrifice one fighter of that caliber for the other.

• qat says:

I can see why Silva would think that, he is not far away from 40 and already a legend, he has nothing to prove anymore, be it at MW or LHW or even to himself. A win against Jones would cement his status, but nothing more than that really.. a loss on the other hand against a young gun like that, maybe even a devastating loss, could be hurtful for his legacy. So for him to take the risk to fight a much younger and bigger guy in a weight-class above him would be nice to see, but i totally get it if he doesnt want a part of that.

As for Jones.. i dont like his attitude here. He is young and still relatively new to the sport, and he should be the new strong bull aiming to be the top dog. Why would he not want to fight the best guy out there? Why would he not want to prove to himself how far he has come or how far he still has to go? A win against Silva at this stage would skyrocket him. A loss would only teach him what he still needs to learn or how he can become better. It would not hurt him much at all imho. So why? Because he “doesn’t want to crap on his greatness”?.. well fuck that.

On top of that that fight would be a money-machine. I personally can live with it if this fight will never happen, but i really think Jones should be pushing for it.

• stone says:

If Jones beat Silva, everyone would just down-play the win. People.would say “he couldn’t beat Silva 5 yrs ago” or “he won because he’s the bigger fighter” & blah blah blah….. Jones is right, it’s a lose-lose situation

JJ = 24 Yrs old
    Silva = 37 yrd old

Regardless of current ranking and performances… Just look at the above practically 13 yr age difference between these professional fighters in a very physical combat sport and whole heartedly tell me that it’s fair to match them up at this time.
    Silva has nothing to prove… and if Jones wants to prove something then fight HWs while still young in his career… Let him try and be a dual weight class champ. I think that’s more impressive then beating a war worn fighter 13 yrs your senior.

• Lord Faust says:

I don’t exactly have a degree in economics, but these super-fights have zero business sense for anyone with a long-term view.

I’d settle for Hendo winning the strap, then calling out Silva. I think that’s a more fair fight but I think Silva beats Hendo 9/10 times.

• THEGUNNER says:

If there is a super fight id like to see some one else besides silva switch weight classes. Like gsp diaz or even phil davis or bader or someone for pure entertainment.

• Richard Stabone says:

The age gap certainly can’t be ignored, but I don’t think it makes it an unfair fight. Not yet anyway. Bones has the youth & athleticism while Anderson has the experience and overall savvy. It would be fascinating to see how it played out in the octagon.

Now obviously there will come a point where the age thing does become ridiculous. With each passing year Jones gains on Silva in the experience department, while Silva gets another year older. So that’s why if there’s any chance for it to happen (probably 5% or less at this point) things would have to be set in motion much sooner than later.

As for the business angle, I think like most deals it brings some risk but not without upside.

SiIva beating Jones would probably be the biggest long term risk. At age 37, Silva’s days of UFC immortality are dwindling, so knocking off the younger Jones and removing some of the luster from his name wouldn’t necessarily play out well for the UFC in the long run… in terms of Jones’ marketability, and all things related.

But on the flipside, if Jones were to beat Silva it would only further his mystique as the next/current great thing, increasing his drawing power. As for Silva, he’s close to the end anyway so he’d be the big loser there while the UFC exposure would be minimal.

But regardless of how it played out, if the superfight was to actually happen it would make an enormous amount of money in the short term. Put together the fights the fans most want to see (within reasonable measure, of course) and then let the chips fall where they may. That’s what it comes down to for me.

• Screenplaya says:

Never gonna happen. I bet the UFC doesn’t really want it, either. It will get tons of coverage, which means tons of camera pointed at Bones, prodding him for sound bites. Either neither guy says anything interesting and marginal fans lose interest, or Bones says something stupid and loses popularity, casting himself as the heel.

Let’s all jump on GSP vs Silva superfight bandwagon, instead. They won’t hype the fight, either, but neither will say anything stupid to upset the fans.

• AlphaOmega says:

“Anderson beating up the Bisping & Munoz type guys just feels like a bit of a waste for the last leg of the career for the greatest fighter of all time.”

Maybe so but what else is he suppose to do? Drop the belt and only do big high profile fights? Or hold the belt hostage saying he will only do high profile fights and turn anything else down?

• Richard Stabone says:

Anderson can & should do exactly what he wants to do. I’m just kicking around ideas, with a focus on what *I* would like to see happen, from a fan perspective.

As I mentioned under a different article yesterday, Anderson can cap his career by beating a few more of the fringe contenders in the current MW mix, and then call it a career with his brilliant UFC streak intact. Certainly no shame in that.

But would I rather see him fight Jon Jones? Hell yes.

• sdouglasmc says:

Say what you want about age, experience, money, etc… the biggest and only reason why I wouldn’t want to see this fight made is because I don’t think it would be very entertaining. There would be lots of ways to hype it up but I couldn’t see anything other than 5 feeling out rounds.

• Richard Stabone says:

Another potential problem with Silva just riding it out at MW is that I do not believe the current crop of MW contenders will keep him motivated & bring out the best in him. Motivation is key for any high caliber athlete, but when we’re talking about a guy who’s reached the top of the mountain (and been camping out there for years now), who is constantly told he’s the greatest fucking fighter ever, I’d say it’s especially critical/difficult to find that motivation factor. Thankfully, Chael’s antics did the trick. But what’s next?

We know he’s entertained the “super fight” idea in the past…

It wasn’t all that long ago that he gave serious consideration to fighting Chuck when Dana was kicking the tires on it.

And he definitely wanted to fight Roy Jones.

So while I can’t pretend to understand what the Anderson Silva psyche is all about, I think it’s safe to say he needs unique challenges to truly motivate him at this stage of his career.

We’ve seen him bored in the past… not good.

• Niv says:

I’m surprised with the comments regarding the age difference because Jones next opponent is in his 40’s and that seems to be ok?

Hey Niv great point…but just to add on to that Hendo is a TRT patient, and as Rampage Jackson said he feels like he’s 25 again ;)