UFC on Fuel 4 Results: Chris Weidman makes case for contendership with stoppage of Mark Munoz

It may not have been the sexiest card on paper but tonight’s lineup at UFC on Fuel 4 featured a number of interesting match-ups topped by a bout between Mark Munoz-Chris Weidman with major implications on the middleweight division. Munoz had won four straight entering the bout, including victories over Chris Leben and Demian Maia, while Weidman was unbeaten at 8-0 with a quartet of wins inside the Octagon.

In the end Weidman maintained his perfect record with a scintillating strike-based stoppage of Munoz in the second stanza. The finish came when Weidman landed a beautifully timed elbow-strike, sending Munoz tumbling to the canvas where the Serra-Longo student pounded out the victory. After the bout Weidman wasted little time capitalizing on the moment, calling out champion Anderson Silva in hopes of earning a title-bout with the performance.

Joey Beltran also made his return to the infamous eight-sided cage, though this time as a light heavyweight, where he faced fellow striker James Te Huna in an exciting back-and-forth fight seeing Te Huna pick up the Unanimous Decision nod.

Read below for a complete list of UFC on Fuel 4 outcomes:

Raphael Assuncao def. Issei Tamura via TKO Round 2 (Strikes)
Marcelo Guimaraes def. Dan Stittgen via Split Decision
Andrew Craig def. Rafael Natal via Knockout Round 2 (High-Kick)
Chris Cariaso def. Josh Ferguson via Unanimous Decision
Alex Caceres def. Damacio Page via Submission Round 2 (Triangle Choke)
Rafael dos Anjos def. Anthony Njokuani via Unanimous Decision
T.J. Dillashaw def. Vaughan Lee via Submission Round 1 (Rear-Naked Choke)
Karlos Vemola def. Francis Carmont via Submission Round 3 (Rear-Naked Choke)
Aaron Simpson def. Kenny Robertson via Unanimous Decision
James Te Huna def. Joey Beltran via Unanimous Decision
Chris Weidman def. Mark Munoz via TKO Round 2 (Strikes)

• Beltran looked like a different person at the weigh ins, Im so stoked to see him back, he’s not the most technical fighter, but he always comes back swingin hard!

• AlphaOmega says:

Rafael dos Anjos
    T.J. Dillashaw
    Francis Carmont
    Aaron Simpson
    Joey Beltran
    Mark Munoz

my predictions, I really hope Munoz wins so he can get a title shot, not that I think he has anything for AS, I just think the guy deserves it.

• AlphaOmega says:

Also I’m saying Alex Cacares does 2 nut shots this fight, one less then his last fight..

• Richard Stabone says:

Yeah, I’m pulling for The Mexicutioner. One of those dudes that is always fun to watch fight, and I respect that he was willing/able to put in the work to drop a weight class… it’s given him an opportunity to prolong his UFC career and hopefully he makes good on it.

Hoping to see Simpson lose.

Main event is basically a coin toss from my perspective. Guess I’d go with Weidman if I had to pick.

• YetiLee says:

@Alpha – I wouldn’t count Munoz out against Silva if he gets that fight. Silva has trouble with wrestlers and Munoz could cause him some problems. I think he would have a shot, besides Anderson can’t stay on top forever, somebody has to beat him and I think Munoz has a chance.

• Creature says:

So.. anyone else watch the Fbook prelims? What in the hell was up with Marcelo’s “grunting” and the end of the third round? Sounded like he was prison raping Stittgen up against the cage.

Hopefully the rest of the card is.. More entertaining

• AlphaOmega says:

I’m not really counting him out, I’ll always root for someone taking down a dominant champ if it’s not a champ that’s my favorite fighter, (yes I’m biased so what?). He trains with Chael right? So he does probably have a good chance to do it, just the few fights I’ve seen Munoz in he likes to stand and punch more times then not, I don’t think he can do that against Silva.

• AlphaOmega says:

I didn’t Creature, I’m on a DL limit due to sat internet and I can watch about 1 min of one of their vids before my limit is up and then it’s downloading like dial up.

• Creature says:

Aw well that sucks Omega.. Not missing much this time around though, it was very awkward just watching lol

• Creature says:

I take that back! Holy what a comeback and KO from Andrew Craig, that guy has some serious heart

• Lord Faust says:

Prelims heated up nicely after the weird grunting / rape sounds from Marcelo. That was… I still don’t know.

Craig did me proud head-kicking a guy who did so much taunting.

• Creature says:

Nice Triangle by Bruce Leeroy, Hes really starting to come into his own, showing off that talent he has,

• Lord Faust says:

Ninja Kawani, Dillishaw, Te Huna, Munoz, Carmont, Simpson.

• Lord Faust says:

Dos Anjos looked great. Anthony showed a lot of heart, fighting through a broken right-hand.

• Lord Faust says:

As bad as Dillashaw’s stand-up was, great finish. Pretty sure that was more of a face-crush than a choke but it’s semantics.

• Richard Stabone says:

Damn that’s a tough Mexican.

Can’t cut a FOTN participant can they?

• Lord Faust says:

Anyone but Joey would have been dead after that first round. I expected him to lose but I cannot understate how tough that motherfucker is.

So far the best night of fights in several weeks. Go figure, a free card.

• Lord Faust says:

Rosenthal fucked up big time. I thought Munoz was going to die on TV.

• Niv says:

Faust agreed, Rosenthal should be fired for that one. Munoz was out for a long time eating nasty shots, that was atrocious reffing by Rosenthal.

• Richard Stabone says:

Ugh… that was 8 or 9 unnecessary shots to a defenseless fighter.

As dominant as Weidman looked, are we really buying into feeding him to Anderson already?

• Lord Faust says:

Nah but they’re hedging their bets in case Lombard shits the bed.

• stone says:

Weidman gots a the blue-print on how to beat Anderson Silva from Chael. Weidman gots the striking & brute power that Chael doesn’t have to finish Silva in th 1st round
    Weidman is the Jon Jones of the 185 division……YEAH I SAID IT

• Niv says:

I tghink Weidman will be a viable opponent in the near future. I think he needs another upper level win and then give him his shot.

That finish was both horrific and amazing considering the delivery of that nasty short elbow, seriously one of the best elbow strikes I’ve ever witnessed.

• Richard Stabone says:

Weidman looked awesome but I think folks are getting a little carried away with the Anderson Silva talk. Tonight was the 10th fight in the octagon and he’s still never beaten a top-10 opponent. Munoz is a very solid win on Weidman’s resume–particularly the way he did it–but the jump in competition from Munoz & Silva is enormous.

Lombard with a win gets the next shot at Silva, and let Weidman win one more contender match against someone like Belcher. No reason to rush the kid.

(Stann & Bisping is a fun matchu to keep those guys busy.)

• Richard Stabone says:

“Tonight was the 10th fight in the octagon and he’s still never beaten a top-10 opponent.”

^ for Munoz, since I wasn’t very clear on that part. Not trying to wiz in Weidman’s Cheerios (dude looked phenomenal)…just suggesting the enthusiasm be held somewhat in check. Chael and Bonnar were going batshit crazy with some of their post-fight talk.

• Richard Stabone says:

Chael was ready to crown Weidman king of 185… Lol, Chael we love to listen to ya talk buddy but you’re not promoting your next title shot anymore, it’s time for that blurry line between reality & silly hyperbole to come back into focus.

• qat says:

@Richard
    So Weidmann needs another top win to get the shot, but Lombard who has NO top wins on his record should get the shot if he wins against Boetsch? What? Where is the logic in that?
    Weidmanns last two wins are Maia (on like 2 weeks notice) and a dominant win over Munoz, Lombards would be Boetsch and well.. Prangley!

For me Lombard has to prove that he is better than Belfort to even be considered to be a threat to Silva, because making that fight on an off chance that he lands a lucky punch on Silva.. thats what i feel it would come down to if he gets the shot now, is just not that interesting to me.
    Maybe im having it wrong, and i gladly let Lombard prove me wrong, but a win against Boetsch should not be the indicator of that, if he doesnt absolutely murder him. We’ll see.

• AlphaOmega says:

Everyone’s expecting Lombard to get the next shot because he did hold the belt in Belator, kinda like Shields and Diaz were suppose to get shots after one fight, Shields did and well Diaz didn’t due to circumstances.

Also I agree that was a horrible stoppage by rosenthal, all that damage to Munoz’s face could of been avoided, at least the majority of it.

• Screenplaya says:

Josh Rosenthal needs to be fined and otherwise penalized for putting Munoz in such danger. I am sure most fans were, like me, yelling at the TV for him to stop the fight. I think an example needs to made here.

I believe the outcomes are wrong. Carmont defeated Vemola.

• Richard Stabone says:

@qat

First off, I think you’re forgetting that Lombard beat JT Money. Am I right or am I right?

OK but seriously… there just aren’t any great options for Silva’s next title defense. I’m glad Munoz lost, cuz with a win over Weidman he was probably the most logical choice but I had no interest in that fight. I don’t want to see Silva’s career wind down fighting fringe contenders like that.

So with only Lombard and Weidman as viable options at this point, I’ve gotta go with Lombard (obviously he’ll need to get by Boetsch). He has a tremendous advantage in terms of experience over Weidman, and that’s the biggest determining factor for me. His 20-fight win streak has been built on overall lesser competition but still… 20 straight is 20 straight. Similar to Barao who’s set to face Faber, it’s a pretty impressive feat that cannot be disregarded. Mixed in there he gave Ebersole his only loss in his last 16 fights, and a win over Boetsch to push the streak to 21 will give him enough momentum, especially in the current lackluster field of MW contenders, to get the next title shot.

And honestly, I think that’s best for Weidman anyway. He’s still very green and the jump in competition from Munoz to Anderson Silva is a massive leap. How long has he been training MMA full time? Maybe 2-3 years? The additional development time can only help; not just in terms of another fight but more importantly an additional full training camp and the improvement it can yield. Even Jon Jones had 13 pro fights under his belt (7 with the UFC) before he got his first title shot; Chris only has 9 total fights with 5 under the UFC banner.

I think everyone just needs to take a deep breath, relax and not be in such a rush to fast track this kid. Hell, if he gets a title shot after only one more win that’s still an incredibly aggressive trajectory.

And oh by the way, then Anderson Silva will be another year or so closer to age 40. The guy to dethrone Silva, should it happen before he hangs up the gloves, will have Father Time in his corner.

• Richard Stabone says:

On a somewhat related note, I’ll predict that Anderson Silva will be the last guy to successfully defend a UFC title past age 35.

Of the current UFC champions, the average age (excluding old man Silva) is 27 years old, with GSP the only one to have joined Silva on the other side of 30. (And GSP’s last defense came at age 29).

With the ongoing expansion of MMA across the globe, and continued evolution of the sport as more elite athletes pursue MMA and are exposed to legitimate training at earlier ages, the landscape is shifting right before our eyes. It really makes Silva’s incredible run, at age 37 & counting, that much more amazing… the man is truly a living legend.