Shane Carwin-Roy Nelson tabbed as coaches for Ultimate Fighter 16

This September, the Ultimate Fighter will return to FX for the groundbreaking reality show’s sixteenth season. This time around a pair of heavyweights will head the respective teams, as the UFC has announced Roy Nelson and Shane Carwin have been slotted in as coaches. Each man will lead a group of eight welterweights whittled down from an initial field of 32 fighters in hopes of outdoing the other where total wins and the Ultimate Fighter 16 crown is concerned.

The UFC revealed Nelson-Carwin earlier today in a press release to media. Nelson will join Rashad Evans, Forrest Griffin, and Matt Serra as past TUF champions returning to the show in a coaching capacity, while Carwin has been sidelined for more than a year due to health-related issues.

However, despite the extended absence from competition, Carwin is clearly amped about the chance to coach against Nelson.

“I’m very excited to get this opportunity,” said the 12-2 Carwin in the organization’s official statement. “Coaching TUF is something I asked for and really wanted to do. I see myself being an MMA coach when my own career is over and can’t wait to start working with my Grudge Training team to help the next generation of UFC stars achieve their dreams.”

“I also asked to coach against Roy Nelson. The fans know how I like to conduct myself both in and out of the Octagon, and I respect every fighter, coach, official and fan in the UFC. But I cannot respect a man like Roy Nelson – because he shows no respect himself,” Carwin continued, alluding to some personal issues with Nelson. “He is a keyboard warrior who doesn’t have the guts to talk trash to my face, but now he’s going to have to be in the same room, the same gym and finally the same Octagon as me. I know I am a better fighter and trainer than he is. I will prove I’m a better trainer in TUF and then, when we fight, I will hit him harder than anyone has ever hit him and teach him some respect.”

Nelson fired a few verbal shots in Carwin’s direction as well, stating, “When I found out I was coaching against Shane Carwin I was so happy to get a chance to compete against this guy. As for being in the same room as him, I try not hang out with people that make me feel icky on the inside but, to coach TUF, I will make an exception.”

Taping for TUF 16 will begin in August.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• G-DUB says:

OK….nice to have a little bad blood in the mix. However, is this a better call than Griffin vs. Bonnar?? Either fight is of little title contention relevance (though one could argue that Roy is 2 fights away from a title shot) and I have to believe that Griffin/Bonnar would garner higher ratings and more memorable moments. They could’ve easily thrown Bonnar a bone here.

Carwin hasn’t fought in a year and if Big Country can take a JDS onslaught he can take on Carwin for a round or 2 until Shane gasses then Roy works his magic. Becareful what you wish for Carwin.

• AlphaOmega says:

Dana won’t do Stephan/Forrest TUF because there’s no bad blood drama there, they are friends and will just crack jokes all the time. Which sucks because I think that’d be more fun to watch

• THEGUNNER says:

The shouldve got bj and nick daiz. I think nick would be entertaining. Or even daniel from strikeforce and barnette..

• Lord Faust says:

Seems interesting but I can’t see this fixing their ratings problems.

Also, I thinK Carwin will easily be the first guy to KO Roy. I find Roy amusing and fairly entertaining but he’s one of these guys that gets their heart and durable chin confused with actual top 10 talent.

Being able to take a lot of punches means you have shitty defence.

• Lord Faust says:

Sorry, KO Roy in the UFC… I am pretty sure Arlovski already did it, back in IFL.

• Richard Stabone says:

This surprises me. Dana reluctantly gave Roy a shot with the UFC via the TUF route, and now he’s giving him a leading role on the show. I guess things have come full circle.

But I don’t see this breathing any new life into TUF, and if Carwin is relatively I think he stops Roy. Ol Roy has shown his ability to take a beating over the years, but the wear & tear has gotta catch up to him eventually and Carwin’s certainly got the power to hit that cracking point.

• Richard Stabone says:

^ relatively healthy*

• AlphaOmega says:

Also I don’t know about anyone else, but I find Carwin to be very boring

• Lord Faust says:

He’s not the most outspoken guy in the world, but when he engages with fans online he’s pretty interesting. I’m still amused by the idea of a guy with an engineering degree being that scary looking.

• Lord Faust says:

Sorry, got the promotion wrong, Arlovski did KO Nelson though. Here’s the proof. So yeah, it’s hardly impossible.

• Big Stank says: