Stephan Bonnar leaning towards retirement without “marquee fight” on the horizon

In the last week, Quinton Jackson has been linked to a bout with Glover Teixeira and coaches have been attached to the upcoming season of TUF. While both stories may have been music to the ears of many, UFC light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar was not among the group after actively lobbying for a bout with “Rampage” or spot opposite Forrest Griffin on the Ultimate Fighter 16.

In fact, Bonnar was so disappointed by the developments he has since come forward to announce he may be retiring rather opting to chug along on the cusp of contendership without receiving a significant scrap despite his fan-friendly personality or consecutive wins.

“I’ve been doing this eleven years and I’ve been through the ringer. So, I promised myself, I put a nice streak together, and I said if I won my last fight I’m gonna go back in there with someone with a lot of Twitter followers,” explained Bonnar of his mindset during the post-event coverage for UFC on Fuel 4. “So I said, ‘Hey, you know, if I can’t get that big, marquee fight, it’s God’s way of telling me to go do something else for awhile.’ Enlightenment is the quiet acceptance of what is.”

When pressed for an answer on whether or not he’d made up his mind, Bonnar remained elusive though his feelings on the matter were clear.

“Put it this way – I have no interest in fighting the next big thing before the whole world realizes the talent of the guy. I’ve done that much in my career and I’m near the end of it,” stated the famous Ultimate Fighter finalist.

The 14-7 Bonnar has emerged with his hand raised in three straight outings but hasn’t fought in 2012.

Check out Bonnar’s full take in the video below with things starting up at the 5:30 mark (preceded by UFC President Dana White breaking down last night’s co-headlining clashes):

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC/TRASHTALKINKIDS

• Lord Faust says:

With all due respect, I don’t see Bonnar in any marquee match-ups. Long layoffs and going to decisions against some fairly mid-level talent is all I recall of Bonnar since the mugging Jones put on him.

He does great work with Chael in the broadcast both; if he can’t do the third dance with Forrest, I would much rather see him as a TV personality. Bonnar and Sonnen is a great combination.

• G-DUB says:

So we’re totally going to disregard those 2 incredible wars against Soszynski in 2010? I was entertained.
    He’s great in the broadcast booth and hope he takes on a more active role in the future ( …. like replacing Florian), but my heart went out to him after hearing his comments last night. He’s on a 3-fight winning streak and richly deserves the big name he’s asking for. Come on Dana/Joe …. respect that man and give him one final marquee opportunity.

• Richard Stabone says:

I’ve thought of Bonnar more for his TV work than fighting for quite a while now anyway. The transition has been in the works for a while; time to make it official.

And he & Chael are pretty good together, but they were a little too giddy after last night’s main event. I thought they were gonna start jerking each other off while they were going on about Weidman. Bonnar was tripping over his own tongue. Chael was proclaiming Weidman king of the MW division. It was amusing, yes, but my god..slow it down, boys!

• Richard Stabone says:

…but if he is gonna fight again, figure out a way to get him & Kos in the cage together. I know it won’t happen, but it would be a lot of fun.

• Lord Faust says:

I have not forgotten about Bonnar’s good fights with Kristof, but didn’t he retire?

He’s been so inactive that it’s somewhat easy to forget he’s still an active fighter.

Bonnar is awesome but he’s lost in the shuffle, nevermind the mix.

• trupert says:

He’s just whining a bit. Basically he’s saying he doesn’t want to fight Nedkov or maybe even Gustafsson. He could still fight Rashad again or Lil’ Nog or Thiago Silva. Those are recognizable names. My votes would be: Gus vs Lil’Nog, Nedkov vs T. Silva and Bonnar vs Rashad…and Matyushenko vs Igor Pokrajac
    My sidebar question is: If Rashad crushes Bonnar and Rua crushes Vera and One person stands out and crushes the other with Machida vs Bader…..who gets the title shot since they all already fell to Jones? Do you throw in Gus if he beats Lil’Nog just for new blood? Rashad was the only decision but most recent. Bader was the most distant then Rua then Machida but all still in 2011. Hmmm

• Lord Faust says:

Light heavy still has the ability to get interesting, as Jones hasn’t beaten all of his credible opponents into a bloody mess (yet).