Nate Marquardt considers himself to the best welterweight in the world

Strikeforce welterweight champ Nate Marquardt may only be a single fight into his 170-pound career but his performance against previously unbeaten Tyron Woodley this past Saturday night already has some people ready to rank him in the division’s Top 10. However, to hear Marquardt tell it he isn’t among the pack of elite 170ers – he’s at the head of it.

“I really feel like it’s my time. I’m one of the best in the world, and actually, I feel like I’m the best in the world…the best welterweight,” said Marquardt at the post-event presser for Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy. “This is a sport where everybody at this level is going to be tough. But I feel like I’m the best in the world, and that’s who I expect I’ll be fighting for my next fight.”

Marquardt looked solid against Woodley en route to a knockout set up by a pair of standing elbows followed by an uppercut to seal the deal. The win improved the 33-year old’s overall record to 32-10-2 and was his ninth win by way of strikes.

No opponent has been named for Marquardt’s first title-defense though a logical selection could be Jason High. High also exited this weekend’s event with his hand raised, choking out Nate Moore in the opening round to notch his seventh straight victory.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC/STRIKEFORCE

• fanoftna33 says:

The great one will tear through anybody in Strikeforce right now, but Coker said they are bringing in some new highly regarded talent in the weeks to come so we will see what they have to offer for opponents.

• AlphaOmega says:

Wait so one fight at 170 against a guy who it was his first time cutting to 170 as well (right? or am I confusing fighters), and you think that makes you the best WW in the world? I’d like to think diaz, condit, GSP, hendricks, and others would disagree with him.

• AlphaOmega says:

I think I confused Larkin with Woodley, so ignore that part of my comment, but the rest still stands.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Perhaps he’s abandoned his TRT for “crazy pills”?

• Richard Stabone says:

Kind of an awkward & confusing statement, but if I’m interpreting it correctly Nate is basically trying to say he’s the best in the world while at the same time saying he expects his next fight to be against the best competition.

I don’t think he’s boasting here, but rather just talking about the dual mindset of supreme self-confidence (“I feel I’m the best when I step in the cage”) but also never taking an opponent lightly (“The guy across the cage is always the most dangerous”). That sorta thing.

Whatever he actually meant, the past year had to be pretty brutal for Nate, so I think he was probably just on cloud 9 on Saturday night following his victory, and trying to put into words just how good it felt to be back in the cage and the confidence along with it. Nothing really over the top.

But now it’s just another top fighter stuck in SF. There’s really nothing interesting left for Gil at this point, and with Rockhold & Marquardt there’s maybe one or two more fights. Set these guys free!

• Dufresne says:

I really hope SF is bringing in some fresh talent for the WW division sometime soon, because even though Marquardt has only had one fight at WW I really do think he’s the best WW on the SF roster for now. As for being the best WW in the world? That’s ridiculous. I think he could easily be a top contender, but he got mauled by a great wrestler in Sonnen and the WW division of chock full of dominant wrestlers. He might survive a fight with Kos, Hendricks, or Ellenberger, but I wouldn’t put money on him beating any of them. And I don’t think he’d even get to the judges’ scorecards against Diaz, Condit, or GSP (if GSP ever gets back to the style and aggression that earned him the nickname “Rush”)

• Creature says:

Honestly i think Nate is and will be considered one of the best WW by everyone else soon enough, Hes got all the technique and experience needed to hang with the top boys, and now hes no longer going to have a size disadvantage to anyone.. the guys a huge WW.

Getting mauled by Sonnen isnt anything to be ashamed of especially since most still consider him one of the best TD artist in the sport right now, and Hendricks, Kos, Fitch, and GSP are all much smaller than Sonnen so im doubtful anyone at WW will be able to handle Nate like Chael did.

Like i said in another post i think Nate vs GSP would be a great fight. And i think he has the best chance out of any at WW to take out GSP.

• Lord Faust says:

We’ll see how GSP looks in his return, but he’s the WW Chael, so I am curious to see how a fight between them would play out. I’d pay money for GSP -vs- Nate, but only after I get GSP -vs- Nick Diaz.

• Lord Faust says:

Obviously I mean “the WW Chael” with regards to his quality takedowns and stifling, active ground game. The two guys are worlds apart, although who knows what GSP would sound like in a pure French market.

Nate looked good but he also fought TWood not exactly a Top 5 WW…. and if he is expexting to fight the “best” in his next fight, I assume he isn’t planning on fighting in SF.