Anthony Johnson confesses move to light heavyweight was long overdue

When Anthony Johnson takes to the cage for his next fight he’ll do so as a light heavyweight despite the bulk of his past success coming at 170 pounds. However, Johnson’s struggles with making weight have been well-documented including a failed attempt to make 185 pounds for a co-headlining fight at UFC 142. The stumble ultimately resulted in Johnson being cut by the organization, landing in Titan FC, and finally realizing his body was best suited for 205.

Johnson spoke some about his journey to the division in an interview with Sherdog where he revealed his wrestling background and confidence blinded him from the obvious truth in front of his eyes.

“Now that I sit back and think about it, it should have happened a long time ago,” said Johnson of his decision to fight at 205 pounds. “But things don’t happen until they’re supposed to happen, so I guess right now is the right time for it to happen.”

“I’m going to be a fighter that’s more focused; somebody who has 10X less stress on his head and on his body because I don’t have to worry about how much I have to lose, how much cardio I have to do to make the weight,” he continued. “Now I’m just happy. I’m happy now, smiling every day in the gym. I’ve just got to keep beating people up and get back in. That’s always how it is with the UFC. You get put out, you’ve got to work your ass off to get right back in. That’s what I plan on doing.”

There is no specific date/opponent for the 11-4 Johnson’s light heavyweight debut though it is likely he will fight at Titan FC 24 in August.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

I still have a feeling he’s going to miss weight at 205

• THEGUNNER says:

After his loss to vitor I gained a lot more respect for vito. A j was huge compared to vitor and.still lost. Im a fan of a j and would like to see him back in the ufc.

• Lord Faust says:

In other news: I’d like to confess that I indeed need to inhale oxygen to live.

Seriously, though, I hope AJ gets it together as the guy has loads of talent. Also, like I said several times before, I don’t want to see him hurt / killed because he pushed his body way too hard cutting weight.

I am still unsure how he made 170 without removing organs / bones.

• Lord Faust says:

Funny thing is, they were the same weight by the time they stepped in the cage. AJ is just built like a goliath.

• Dufresne says:

I was wondering how long it was going to take his kidneys to finally convince him to stop trying to make 170.

His handlers & trainers share the blame as well… Can’t just be a yes man to the talent or they’ll fail.

• justafan says:

“In other news: I’d like to confess that I indeed need to inhale oxygen to live.”

Lord Faust, Thank you I needed a good laugh and that was funny shit.

• jasonah says:

LOL, He only has 3 more wieght classes to fight in before hold a Candle to Ken Flo. I think he’s going to have mixed results 205.

• MCM says:

Looks like Lorenzo’s been hitting that TRT too. :0

I still find it amazing that he made 170 for so long, but he really is built like most top MW’s. I hope he gets his body under control and figures out what’s best for him, cause he’s pretty fun to watch fight.

• Lord Faust says:

MCM — I have seen numerous training pictures where AJ looks comparable to lower-weight heavies. I know it’s not the best example, but he dwarfs Rashad.

• MCM says:

He was no larger than Vitor. He’s definitely not bigger than Chael or Belcher. And he sure as hell didn’t look two weight classes larger than Kos. I still think his body is built MW. (also bad example) but he didn’t look larger than Branch in their last fight.

For the record, I also think Roy Nelson is built for MW. So…..there’s that.