Chael Sonnen: “(Quinton Jackson) is not on my level.”

Former UFC light heavyweight champ Quinton Jackson recently had a go at Chael Sonnen in an interview where he offered harsh criticism towards the silver-tongued scrapper’s performance against middleweight title-holder Anderson Silva a few weeks ago at UFC 148. Sonnen had an opportunity to address Jackson’s words in his role as one of the analysts on UFC Tonight and needless to say his retort was as classic as fans might have hoped for

“‘I’m sitting here in my fancy suit. I’ve got my ear piece in. I’ve been branded an analyst on the #1 watched MMA show on TV today. So, to keep it professional, my answer would simply be, listen, ‘Rampage’ has one fight left and it’s not against me. ” stated Sonnen on the show. “Now, had you had asked me outside, in my kingdom, amongst my people, when I’m not wearing the suit and I don’t have my earpiece and I’m in sponsor’s T-shirt, my answer might have been different. I would have probably said, ‘Hey, Rampage, why don’t you stick to violating female reporters, making box office disasters, and driving the wrong way down the freeway while you’re jacked up on Mountain Dew because you, ‘Page, are not on my level.’”

Sonnen’s comments reference a few of Jackson’s past incidents including his penchant for getting touchy-feely with media members and a 2008 run-in with the law stemming from a situation where a delusional “Rampage” took his monster truck on a hit-and-run spree down a California roadway.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• climbarock says:

I’m no fan of Rampage these days, but stylistically he’s a tough matchup for Sonnen…maybe tougher than Anderson, who has shown iffy takedown defense in the past.

Maybe Rampage leaves UFC as planned and this is all speculation. But I think there’s got to be some chance that Rampage continues his UFC career after his next fight. Dana patched things up with Tito, he patched things up with Randy after Randy left to fight Fedor and UFC sued him….it could happen. Money talks.

• Lord Faust says:

Someone call the fire department, because that was a burn.

Rampage would be lucky if Chael trash-talked him back into relevance.

Well-Done. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

haha ” ramped up on mt dew”

Your correct Faust- Rampage would owe a great deal to Sonnen if this turns into a money generating & career resurging beef

• JabCrossHook says:

Chael can say what he wants but at least rampage was a UFC champ and unified the titles with a brilliant performance against hendo. He accomplished way more than Chael with his fists not his mouth.

• fanoftna33 says:

Very true Jabcrosshook, both guys have more than earned my respect as fighters, but looking at there respective careers Sonnen doesnt even come close. Professional careers that is, I know Chael was a very accomplished NCAA wrestler but that was amateur.

• Richard Stabone says:

Completely opposite career trajectories for these guys.

Rampage was a beast thru his 20s, as both a PRIDE and UFC champion, only to turn into a lazy sack of crap on the other side of 30.

Chael on the other hand was a completely mediocre fighter thru his 20s, with a failed UFC stint and not a single noteworthy victory on his resume, only to hit his stride on the other side of 30 and become a top contender and one of the biggest draws in the sport.

So they both sorta have bragging rights on the other… just in different ways. The advantage for Chael is he’s the one whose stock is up *now* while Rampage is just a turd leaving shit stains wherever he goes these days.

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 1

• THEGUNNER says:

I dont see this fight happening but if it did im sute somnen would look stupid after getting his ass kicked agian.

• Lord Faust says:

At LHW, Chael would be the same size as Bader (roughly), but with better takedowns and way more confidence in himself.

I doubt Chael would TKO Rampage, but Rampage would have indentations of the sponsor stickers on his back by the time Buffer read off 50-45 for Sonnen.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 0

Battle of TRT patients!

• AlphaOmega says:

As much as I’ve said it here lately, everyone should know what I’d love to see if these two people fought..

Also climbarock while silva has shown iffy TD, Rampage seems to have completely forgotten his here lately which I don’t understand.

• JabCrossHook says:

Doesn’t change the fact that rampage was a champ and has a better resume than Chael. Makes no difference on where they are now as rampage has better wins and achievements overall. Chael got lucky that silva was injured in their first fight. Silva let Chael win the first round IMO because he stuffed every single attempt in the 2nd. He completely embarrassed sonnen, to me Chael is just a roider who got a legal exemption.

• Lord Faust says:

Sonnen still showed a lot more heart and determination in trying to take the fight to Anderson than Rampage has shown as of late. All he’s done is run his mouth, talk about how he’s going to knock people out, and then goes on to lose terribly boring fights.

Yes, their overall resumés don’t stack up so well, as far as wins / losses go.

The thing is, Rampage is losing the buzz around him; he’s looked terrible in his last few fights and is sounding more and more like Tito these days I am just waiting to hear that “I lost to Glover because I had a cracked skull”.

As far as the history books go, I’ll give Rampage is due. As far as what he’s done lately, fuck the guy. The dumb shit he says only gets attention because it’s Rampage saying it; he sounds like an uneducated fool every time someone puts a mic in front of him. What people call “charisma” I call just a complete lack of tact.

Records notwithstanding, Chael is someone I care about listening to and watching fight, while Rampage is just someone I wish would STFU and fade away.

• THEGUNNER says:

rampages highlights will always be bettet than chaels. I like chael but 1 thing I will say that I domt like is the fact that he likes to talk his way into fights and the next generation is watching and probobly following which I hope not. I would not want to go to a mma gym for practice and have someone talking trash to get noticed. Id hate to beat the crap out of a 20 year old because he learned to talk like chael but not fight like chael.

• Lord Faust says:

There will always be guys who talk bigger games than they fight, that’s not new.

I think, if nothing else, Chael proving the value in selling yourself is a net positive. I am sick and tired of template soundbites “yeah, he’s a tough guy, probably my toughest test… bla bla bla …. I train to go all 5 rounds, may the best man win.” *YAWN!*

• JabCrossHook says:

Lord Faust you just said that rampage says dumb shit for attention. Are you serious? What do you think Chael does? He ran his mouth until he got a fight with Anderson a fight he didnt even deserve after such a controversial decision

But it’s ok, silva proved how relevant Chael is after all. Which is not that much, I’m happy silva took Chaels words and kneed them right back into his mouth. Chael had no respect for silva when he was talking all that trash and he will get no respect from me either. Enjoy never being the champ Chael, you earned it with that mouth and pitiful performance against silva

• Lord Faust says:

No, I said Rampage says dumb shit. Period. There’s no point to it, it’s just his only means of expressing himself.

• JabCrossHook says:

Hey at least Rampage didn’t get caught roiding, and never took the trash talk too far like Chael did. No one says not to talk trash or hold a grudge against some fighters, that makes good promotion, but Chael took it too far by talking about Anderson’s family and country. This is still a professional sport and you have to treat your opponent with a certain degree of respect. Shit even Ceronne and Nate Diaz buried the hatchet but when tempers were flared did either one of them talk about each others family? No because that’s a line that doesn’t get crossed, Chael went on a 2 year trash talking spree which in how it ended in a completely embarrassing loss for Chael. Even with his BS TRT exemption which is a legal pass to do PEDs.

• Lord Faust says:

Sir, I believe you’re the only one this worked up about anything Sonnen has said at this point.

Chael said outlandish — almost cartoonish — things for the sole purpose of selling a fight. In doing so, he was at least articulate and engaging. He didn’t cross any more lines than Frank Mir did when he said “I want to kill Brock Lesnar”, or when Babalu said the same thing before Chuck blasted him to sleep a second time.

Rampage’s best moments on the mic are as follows: calling a pudgy heavyweight “titties”, telling an opponent his “bref stanks”, and the rest is basically a pile of gibberish with equal parts slurred street talk and “you know what I mean” used in place of a comma.

Seriously, did you watch the TUF season with Rampage and Evans? The guy sounded like the lowest intellect dudes I’ve ever heard in a gym anywhere. The guy is a walking embodiment of a lot of negative stereotypes.

With Chael, you’ve got to nuts to not think it’s an act, whereas with Rampage you know that he really is an oaf with poor communication skills — “keeping it real”, if you will.

• Lord Faust says:

BTW – Rampage is on the TRT bandwagon too, and signed up before the Bader fight.

Secondly, Chael did not test positive for steroids. He had an elevated T:E ratio which, according to his explanation to the athletic committee was because he Epitestosterone level was incredibly low, thus throwing the T:E ratio out of whack.

Let’s not drag TRT into this, though. It’s a loaded subject and, frankly, Chael passed all of his tests — including the additional testing required for his TUE — so it’s moot.

• JabCrossHook says:

You’re missing the point, I’m not talking about the way Rampage was out of the ring, I’m just talking about his professional accomplishments in his entire career compared to Chael’s. Which if you look there’s no comparing of the two. Rampage was the first fighter to completely dominate Chuck Lidell when he was in his prime (twice).

The only thing that I was saying is that unlike Chael, Rampage never crossed the line the way Chael did with his relentless disrespecting trash talk. Chael did cross the line because so many Brazilians hated him as well and most of them are pretty respecting towards their opponents.

As far as TRT at the end of the day the only reason Chael’s testosterone levels were so low is from previous PED use, at 35 even with an athlete his T ratio shouldn’t be that low naturally. Many fighters have mentioned that PED use is rampant in MMA. If you’re getting testosterone injections its still going to help you perform in camp better and be able to gain strength, conditioning, muscle mass, etc at an increased rate than a completely 100% clean athlete. The evidence points to these facts, but there’s whole business in that “supplement” industry so its not going to die out that easily. I just hope in the future the random testing is so strict and the procedure so advanced that its impossible to use any form of PEDs.

Also don’t they do a T/E ratio test to avoid testing for a list of substances and instead just look at the evidence of the use of PEDs?

• AlphaOmega says:

(completely off topic but since Faust brought up rashad/rampage TUF) My friend and I talked about this and we both noticed something, ever since that TUF does anyone else notice that every fighter when they touch gloves now, touches straight out from their body, instead of up in the air like they use to?

• MCM says:

JXH -“I’m just talking about his professional accomplishments in his entire career compared to Chael’s. Which if you look there’s no comparing of the two. ”

Have to agree with you there JabCrossHook. When you look at the two, Rampage PALES in comparison to Chael.

I know people like to point out that Rampage was a PRIDE and UFC title holder, but that’s simply not true. Rampage never held a belt in PRIDE. Infact, Rampage never held a title in ANYTHING outside of the UFC. His win over Chuck and subsequent defense against Hendo was the highlight of his entire career. Up till then he had Never beaten two top 10 ranked fighters in a row.
    Hendo, Chuck and Matt Hamill are also the only top 10 ranked fighters he’s ever legitimately beat. (I say legitimately cause he lost to Machida and the Arona slam was a headbutt.)

Chael on the other hand, has beaten 3 top 5 ranked opponents (Filo, Marquardt, and Okami) and 3 top 10 opponents (Dan Miller, Stann, and Bisping), as well as held titles in other orgs.

You can say that Chael “talked” his way into a second title shot (even though he had to go through 2 top 10ers first), but Rampage “talked” his way into a career. The guy has never been the best of the best, but always been the best of the rest.

I would take Chael in a heartbeat over Rampage, cause as Rampage’s record shows, he’s not nearly as good as he thinks is.

• Lord Faust says:

Well, Page and Chael are both polarizing — nothing’s new there haha.

Jab, I respect your opinion — and the fact you laid it out pretty well. I guess we’ll agree to disagree. If they ever fight, we can revisit.

In closing: the amalgamation of Chael and Rampage would be the scariest fighter ever.

• JabCrossHook says:

McM rampage beat numerous ranked oppnents during prIde which includes chuck, arona, and Igor v to name a few. Being a belt holder in lesser org means jack shit. I also never said Rampage held a pride belt but he unified the titles which counts just as much. He also defended the belt. Fact of the matter is that rampage has better wins and held a belt that he defended in the number one org in mma. Chael didnt accomplish any of those things, to even hint that Chael accomplished more in his career than rampage shows either bias from being Chaels fanboy or bias from hating rampage. I’m a fan of neither of these fighters. Rampage overall is the more exciting fighter of the two before he turned into a lazy unmotivated flabber.

• MCM says:

or……and hear me out….we could actually look at their respective records. Take out any “fanboy”-ishness (is that a word) and look at their wins over level of competition and it’s a lot more even before each came to the UFC. Compare their UFC records and Chael wins hands down.
    Sure Rampage beat Chuck, twice. But BJ beat Hughes twice and he was never a great WW.
    Ignoring “excitement” factor an just looking at records, Yes. Chael is right in that Rampage isn’t on his level.

• JabCrossHook says:

Fine lets look at records. Chael 27-12, Rampage 32-10

Chael “notable” wins
    Jason Miller (don’t know why I’m including him but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt)
    Trevor Prangley (first ranked opponent he beat after being submitted by him)
    Paulo Filho (pretty much a gift fight because Paolo looked like he was high on painkillers in that fight, missed weight, Chael couldn’t have had it any easier, and he still couldn’t finish a fight)
    Dan Miller (never that great of a fighter but hey once again I’ll give you the benefit of a doubt)
    Okami (legit ranked opponent)
    Marquardt (legit ranked opponent)
    Stann (legit ranked opponent)
    Bisping (slightly overrated but still a ranked opponent but a very controversial decision)

Rampage’s notable wins
    Igor V (don’t need to explain why Igor V is a legit opponent who usually fought a weight class above Page)
    Kevin Randleman (at the time was a ranked fighter with numerous quality wins) former UFC HW champ
    Arona (no explanation needed there, Arona was a beast during the Pride days)
    Chuck Lidell (finished him twice) another UFC champion X 2
    Murilo Rua (at the time the elder Rua brother was in fact ranked)
    Matt Lindland (at 2006 lindland was a legit ranked opponent)
    Dan Henderson (one of the greatest fighters in MMA history) PRIDE MW champion
    Wanderlai (at the time Wandy was still a ranked opponent)
    Jardine (another ranked opponent)
    Machida (close fight but Rampage did take the first two rounds) UFC LHW champion (former)
    Hamill (was a ranked opponent at the time)

Now lets count Chael: 8 but ZERO former RELEVANT champs (Mayhem and Dan Miller don’t belong in that list but like I said benefit of a doubt)
    Rampage: 12 and 4 former RELEVANT champions

Like I said no comparison, Chael should just be quiet.

• MCM says:

When you say “Ranked” are you talking top 10 or top 30?
    I’m talking top 10, that excludes…
    from Chaels side Mayhem (he shouldn’t have been added anyway) but adds beating Arman Gambaryan who was ranked at the time.
    from Rampages side Randleman, Rua, Lindland (185lb ranked), and Wandy
    That’s three top fighters each before they came to the UFC. After they came to the UFC Chael has 5 legit wins of top 10 and the biggest beatdown of the P4P he ever received. While Rampage has 4 legit wins, I forgot Jardine was still top 10 when they fought, my fault. My argument as to why the Machida fight was a loss….outside the fact that even Rampage thought he lost.

So they are pretty close. But at this point in their careers I still have to agree that Rampage is not on Chaels level. 4 years ago I would have laughed at that idea.

• Richard Stabone says:

Dang, are you guys really counting Dan Miller & Paulo Filho as legitimate “top 10″ wins on Chael’s resume?

Dan seems like a great guy, and is a solid fighter, but trying to squeeze him into the top 10 is a tricky one. Either way, using Miller as part of the case to bolster Chael’s legacy as anything resembling an elite fighter… ehh, that’s even more of a reach.

Honest question: What is the best victory in Dan Miller’s career?

During his time with the UFC, which dates back to 2008, Dan Miller has compiled a 6-5 record. Of those victories, would you believe me if I said the combined UFC record of those six opponents is 7-21?

And Paulo Filho…

Very talented fighter. But let’s consider the circumstances of when Chael beat him. First, the bout was initially postponed cuz Filho was in rehab. Then the bout happened, and Filho couldn’t even make weight. But other than that, awesome win on Chael’s resume.

From my view, Chael’s got 4 big notches on his belt: Marquardt, Okami, Stann & Bisping.

Nate’s days as a top-10 MW were numbered, Okami has gone 3-2 since losing to Chael, Stann was a dominating win for Chael (although I do still think Stann is underrated, but time will tell there & I might be wrong), and the Bisping fight could have gone either way.

Toss in Chael’s work in the two Silva fights, which gained him some cred despite coming away with a loss each time, and he’s had a hell of a run on the other side of 30. But not enough to catapult him past Rampage, whose overall body of work in MMA is clearly ahead of Chael IMO. Rampage is a Hall of Famer; Chael is not.

• Richard Stabone says:

^ Errr…meant to say I think Stann is overrated. Nothing against him personally, and I’ll be rooting for him to beat Bisping, but don’t expect it’ll happen.

• MCM says:

Last I’m gonna say on this.
    Richard, you have to look at fighters ranking at the time they fought, not what happened afterwords. Paulo Filo was the #1 or #2 MW at the time Chael beat him. No matter what has happened since, that’s where he was ranked. Dan Miller was an 11-1-1 fighter with three wins in the UFC over very solid competition and had just cracked the top 10.

If you’re going to use your logic to pick Chael apart, why not do it for Rampage. Jardine was top 10 according to both JXH and me, but since he’s gone 2-6-1 since then let’s remove him from Rampages record. Chuck may have been the #1 or #2 fighter at the time, but he lost 4 of his next 5 fights before retiring with three being by KO so we’ll take him off of Rampages record too. And since you don’t like Dan Miller, let’s also take off Matt Hamil for the same reasons.

I’m not trying to come across as a dick, but your smarter than that.

• JabCrossHook says:

Exactly thank you Richard for being on the side of logic and reasoning. There is NO way Chael’s career overall has more relevant wins and accomplishments than rampage. Even in the UFC rampage accomplished more because he managed to win the belt and defend it and unify it at the same time. Also randleman was a legit ranked opponent when rampage fought him.

• Richard Stabone says:

The fight with Filho that Chael won was initially canceled due to the fact Filho had checked himself into freaking rehab. Not rehabbing a bum ankle. Substance Abuse. The guy was (and would continue to be) a mess.

But eventually the fight happened, after nearly a year away from action for Filho, and he wasn’t even able to make weight. To be perfectly frank, I don’t give a shit what some arbitrary ranking system said at the time, given that type of extreme extenuating circumstances.

And back to Dan Miller, who are these solid opponents he was beating? Start naming names instead of talking in the abstract. As I mentioned, the six guys Dan beat in the UFC have a combined UFC record of 7-21. In other words, of the 28 times those bums stepped inside the octagan they were losing 3 outta every 4 fights.

So if you’re trying to build the case for a fighter’s legacy as a supposed elite fighter, Dan Miller does nothing to bolster that argument, IMO.

As I mentioned before, Chael’s got 4 big notches in his belt: Marquardt, Okami, Stann, Bisping (giving him the full benefit of the doubt there).

That’s a damn fine career which most fighters would love to have. But it doesn’t stack up with what Rampage’s body of work, which you guys already pretty well hashed out… Arona, Chuck (x2), Hendo, Wandy, with the other stuff mixed in there. Rampage, though he now leaves a bad taste in my mouth, is a legend of the sport and Chael simply is not. That’s the way it was in the past, that’s the way it is today, and that’s the way history will remember these guys.

• JabCrossHook says:

Richard I also don’t think Dan Miller should be in that list, I just mentioned it as a “notable” win for Chael giving MCM the benefit of a doubt but honestly he should not be considered a top 10 opponent that Chael beat.

I also agree that Chael was getting a gift of a fight against Filho just like he got a gift in terms of Anderson with a rib injury. The fact that Anderson stuffed his TDs so easily in the 2nd round shows that he was injured.

• Creature says:

Well time for me to get in on this lol.

“The fact that Anderson stuffed his TDs so easily in the 2nd round shows that he was injured.”

…LOL no, i think it was more the mass holding of the shorts that did it, and with that type of logic, Anderson must have just let Chael easily take him down and mount him in the first right? Cmon now, this is Fiveouncesofpain! Sherdog logic isnt allowed here haha ;)

See I think Rampage has definitely done more for the sport overall than Chael, but the whole number of wins over a notable opponent thing is pretty even IMO. And with how bad Rampage is looking lately, and good Chael is looking.. Chael could surpass him without a doubt in the next 2 years.

• JabCrossHook says:

What mass short grabbing? I saw Anderson get underhooks on Chael multiple times and shrug off TD attempts in the center of the octagon as well as against the fence. if there was mass short grabbing the ref would’ve said something. The first round I honestly think that Anderson let Chael win that shit so he got a little reckless and overconfident in the next round.

I think it was just a weird coincidence that after the first round Anderson’s corner was like “Ok now the real fight begins” and after that Anderson stuffed every single TD attempt. The big reason for Anderson’s success in that aspect of the fight is that he relentlessly worked for both underhooks whenever he was in the clinch, while keeping himself squared out more to lower his center of gravity to make it harder for him to be taken down. That requires a lot of core leg and abdomen strength and with an injured rib that explains why Andy didn’t do any of that in the first fight.

Creature the wins over notable opponents is not even, Chael has less and Rampage has beaten 4 former relevant champions also he unified the Pride MW title and the UFC LHW title. He basically made history. I don’t see Chael winning the title in the next 2 years so there’s no way he can accomplish what Rampage did in his entire career.

• MCM says:

He never unified anything. He never held the PRIDE belt so he couldn’t “unify” it. Dan Henderson was the only man that could have unified the belts. Saying Rampage did is like saying Gilbert Melendez unified the Strikeforce and DREAM LW belts by beating Aoki.

Dan Miller had just beaten
    Rob Kimmons 21-4 at the time
    Matt Horwich 23-11-1 at the time
    and Jake Rosholt undefeated at the time at 5-0
    and had only one stumble, an NC injury due to accidental Headbutt, in 3 yrs and 10 fights.
    So yeah, he counts.

Ok. Now I’m done.

• Richard Stabone says:

Again, I will contend that none of those names, including Dan Miller, has any sort of significant relevance in trying to distinguish between the legacy of Rampage and Chael.

If what we’re really after is who had the greater career, I’d boil the whole thing down to the Chuck/Rampage and Anderson/Chael sagas.

Chuck and Anderson afforded these two much greater notoriety than they otherwise would have gained on their own (or against any other opponent). Without those two guys, Rampage & Chael just wouldn’t have had the same limelight they’ve ultimately been able to enjoy.

Taking it a step further, the big difference is that Rampage was able to cash in his opportunity for a UFC belt, which catapulted him to greater fame. Plus Chuck was more popular than even Silva.

Chael, on the other hand, was not as fortunate, coming up short twice. He had the tougher draw against Silva, compared to Chuck at the stage Rampage got him. But that’s the way things broke, and that’s how history will record it – Rampage is one of the legends of a relatively early period of the sport, while Chael is an interesting character who was also a really good fighter.

Anyway, good discussion all around. I’m not particularly fond of either guy but I just can’t put Chael on Rampage’s level (overall body of work). Appreciate the civil back & forth… just cuz we disagree doesn’t mean we need to be disagreeable. :)

Cheers all…enjoy the weekend.

• JabCrossHook says:

MCM stop arguing semantics, Rampage held the UFC 205 belt and then he beat Hendo who held the Pride MW 205 belt, therefore he UNIFIED the titles by becoming the undisputed 205 king for the time being. You’re grasping at straws and Chael never held one significant belt and never defeated any former RELEVANT champions.

• AlphaOmega says:

It was the UFC that started calling Rampage the Unified champion, because that was one of his big bitches it they never made a big deal about it anymore.