Dan Henderson: “My focus is to win every round, not to land the ‘H-Bomb’.

UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones recently came forward to reveal he was more concerned about top contender Dan Henderson’s power than wrestling. “Hendo”, who has held PRIDE and Strikeforce belts in the past, is known for being one of the few Mixed Martial Artists to truly blend consistent takedowns and ground control with the ability to knock an opponent out with a single blow when standing.

However, based on some comments from Henderson, it sounds like Jones could be overlooking some key elements to his game if he’s expecting a wild slugger in the Octagon rather than a seasoned competitor.

“My focus is to win every round, not to land the ‘H-Bomb’. I’ll make sure I win every round and if I hit him good along the way, hopefully it knocks him out,” said the 41-year old in an interview with ESPN.

On the topic of Jones as an adversary, Henderson seemed less impressed by “Bones” than most have been when asked to describe the title-holder’s talents.

“He’s young and sloppy a little bit. He still has a lot to learn, technically,” stated Henderson, adding he was completely confident in his ability to beat him and win the one golden strap of significance thus far eluding him in his career. “I’ll never go into a fight or accept a fight if I didn’t think I could beat the other guy up.”

Jones-Henderson are set to showdown on September 1 at UFC 151.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE/UFC

I’m a big Hendo fan… The TRT thing bothers me a lot…I think Hendo at 41 is truly enhanced by using it.
    Not a fan of Jones…but I respect his skillet.

I hope I’m wrong but I highly doubt Hendo is the guy to beat JJ.
    To tell you the truth even of he beats him a few years from now there will be an next to that win that says Hendo beat him before TRT was banned.

* there will be an astrik

• Big Stank says:

I love Hendo but I think he’s gunna get grounded n pounded a whole lot

• jasonah says:

Big fan of hendo but , Ithink he’s going to need some stiches after this one!

• darth_irritable says:

I love that he’s now also calling his own right hand the H-Bomb.

• Creature says:

Im Prolly the biggest Hendo fan out there.. And I have 200$ on him beating Jones :) Thats how confident i am in that old walking battle tank that is Dan Henderson

• Big Stank says:

Send me ur info Creature, I’ll take that bet

• Creature says:

Haha no thanks, maybe i should have been a little more clear on what i meant. I have a $200 bet with a friend of mine. I keep things like that within my own little circle of trust :) sorry Stank.

• This can truly go either way. I lean towards Jones but you can never ever count out Henderson due to his skillset, his will to win, and yes his gnarly power. I don’t have a solid lock on who I think will win but someone will have their first tko/ko loss when the smoke clears is the one prediction I Will make now.

• Big Stank says:

Damn I was thinking EZ MONEY lol

• Lord Faust says:

This fight is going to make a nice early birthday gift. I can’t wait.

• Richard Stabone says:

Jones is younger (obviously), more athletic and has over a foot reach advantage. Henderson is a legend and this is a cool matchup, but the Jon Jones beat goes on.

• MCM says:

I can’t stand Jon Jones (surprise), but I honestly don’t think he gets beat by Hendo. I still think Rashad has the best style to take out Jones. Even though Rashad and Hendo are similar in style, I don’t think Dan has the speed or TDD to deal with Jones.
    I could be wrong, but I think Hendo get’s taken down and submitted by the end of the third round.

• Lord Faust says:

The visual of seeing Hendo training for this fight with Cyril Diabate was nuts man… Jones has so many advantages in this fight. Dan needs to close the distance on Jones, which even Rashad really couldn’t do — and he’s easily the fastest LHW on the pro circuit.

This is probably going to play out a lot like Anderson / Hendo, except Dan’s chin should offer a lot more protection against Jones. (Anderson smashed him with a better punch than he’s been knocking guys out with, and it may have staggered Dan but he still had to choke him for the win.)

Dan’s a miracle worker, and one of the toughest bastards out there… This is one of those fights where I am siding with the ffavourite, but if Dan wins I will be impressed but not surprised.