Hector Lombard wants Mark Munoz with a win at UFC 149, not Anderson Silva

It looks like fans can remove Hector Lombard from the list of possible challengers to UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva’s throne, at least in terms of the immediate future. While Lombard has a stiff task ahead of him in the form of a fight with Tim Boetsch this weekend at UFC 149, the former Bellator title-holder has no intention of lobbying for a crack at Silva’s crown even with a dominating win in tow.

Rather, Lombard has his sights set on Mark Munoz. Though Munoz came up short in his last bout, suffering a TKO loss to Chris Weidman, a handful of comments he made leading up to the rumble apparently rubbed Lombard the wrong way.

“I’m going to call Mark Munoz out. I’m focused on the fight, but I’m going to call out Mark Munoz after. That’s my goal,” said the Cuban judoka in an interview with MMAJunkie. “He’s been talking a lot of trash about me.”

“One hundred percent,” added Lombard when asked if he would bypass a match-up with Silva in favor of mixing it up with Munoz. “You got it. I don’t want to talk about it. I don’t want to talk about him. I just want to fight him. I want to fight him bad.”

Much of Munoz’s criticism of Lombard was directed at the need to pay dues inside the Octagon before being fast-tracked to the front of the contendership line. While many would side with him in most instances, few fighters are more deserving than Lombard would be with a victory this Saturday night considering his overall record of 31-2-1 and an unbeaten streak dating back to late 2006.

Regardless, as it stands currently, other options like Alan Belcher and Weidman now appear most likely for a date with Silva rather than Lombard.

PHOTO CREDIT – BELLATOR/FAIRTEX

• qat says:

The only thing i recall Munoz said is that he “recycled cans”. So thats enough to make him that mad?

Either way hes an idiot passing up the big check and opportunity for something like that or he has another agenda like not wanting to fight Silva right now and wait till hes older or retired. I guess its the first one..

• AlphaOmega says:

Bisping said worse things about Lombard when they first signed him then Munoz ever did, why isn’t he pissed off at him.

• AlphaOmega says:

Also so lombard would rather pass up the chance of fighting the best MW the UFC has to offer, and the chance to get a title, and instead fight someone who just got KOed who may or may not of been disrespectful? Smart.

• raker says:

I don’t think the UFC would pair Lombard up with Munoz if he beats Boetsch. They might if he loses but I’d be willing to bet that all this talk was just a message to Munoz to let him know he’s pissed of at what he said, and is coming for him….. eventually. These little grudges are good for marketing too and if the fighters are getting a chunk of PPV sales then it’s to their benefit to play the game and sell as many PPV’s as possible.

• Richard Stabone says:

I agree with raker’s comments… I’m not buying for a second that Lombard, if he defeats Boetsch on Saturday night, will be facing Munoz next. If he loses, great, make the matchup but otherwise it has no chance.

And like AO said above, Bisping got some words in against Lomard as well…

“(Hector Lombard getting a title shot if he beats Brian Stann) does piss me off a little bit, you know? I’ve been slugging away in the UFC for six years now, fighting the best guys in the world, and just because Hector Lombard’s been knocking out part-time fighters who probably hold down jobs full-time and he’s been knocking out people that I haven’t got a clue who they are, I haven’t even heard of them, you know, while I’ve been knocking out the best fighters in the world and fighting the best consistently for six years and he’s going to come in from knocking out John the baker from around the corner and you know, he gets a title shot?”

I get what Bisping is saying. There’s no question Lombard has faced lesser overall talent in recent years, but he has beaten some tough guys along the way as well and if he gets by Boetsch on Saturday I’d still rather see him get the shot than a dude with less than 10 pro fights.

But Munoz has never beaten a top-10 opponent in his career and after the complete beatdown he suffered against Weidman the only way it makes any sense for Lombard to fight him is if he also suffers defeat on Saturday.

• darth_irritable says:

Bit on the nose of Bisping to claim he’s been “knocking out people”. The only actual KO on his record in the last 8 years involved The Right Hand of Dan Henderson*.

Lombard _is_ part Australian – not unexpected that he might make boneheaded decisions.

*For the record – I like Bisping. Just not against Silva.

• MCM says:

Does nobody pay attention to the FW division!?
    Bad move Lombard. Call out Silva and don’t stop until you get that title shot.

• Lord Faust says:

If he wanted to be a real tough guy, he’d call out Weidman, not the guy he left unconscious in a pool of his own blood.

Regardless, if he wins I highly doubt that he’ll see a bout agreement with Munoz’ name on it.

• Lord Faust says:

Also, Raker’s comment seems spot on. Didn’t think about it until I saw it put into those terms.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Lombard is Cuban but with Australian citizenship. He is not part Australian unless you consider living in Australia as getting Australian cooties Darth.
    Quade Cooper is full of Austaralian cooties, him and Russell Crowe are as Australian as Skippy and Steve Irwin.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Lombard does not want to jump straight in with A.Silva and I dont blame him. I doubt Lombard would care too much about what Munoz said but he may want to take baby steps in the UFC. Rack up a few wins and then next year get his shot.
    I would start with Tim then move to Stann, Munoz or Beltcher then to a Bisping, Belfort, Okami or Sonnen and then when he is a name with ticket selling power and experience go for Silva.

• AlphaOmega says:

I don’t think the UFC will let/want him to do that, they want him to challenge as soon as possible most likely