UFC still hoping to secure Cung Le-Rich Franklin for card in China

Cung Le doesn’t tend to take too many fights a year. The busy actor, and former Strikeforce middleweight champ, recently earned his first UFC victory by defeating Patrick Cote at UFC 148. The bout was his first since a November meeting with Wanderlei Silva and came preceded by an extended break from competition due to film commitments.

UFC officials, however, are hoping the 40-year old Le wants to step back inside the Octagon and face Rich Franklin in the main event of UFC on Fuel 6. Scheduled for November 10, the underlying significance of the card is that it marks the promotional debut for the UFC in China.

“If Cung fights in China, it’ll be against Rich Franklin,” UFC President Dana White confirmed Thursday during the pre-fight press conference for UFC 149.

Le (8-2) and Franklin (29-6) were on schedule to face each other earlier this month, but Franklin was moved into a match with Silva.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

It’ll also depend on how Cung’s foot is, he said on twitter he’d like to if his foot is 100%

• MCM says:

I hope he’s healed. I think that would be a hell of a fun match, but Rich would take it IMO.

• Lord Faust says:

Côté could have won that fight if he just pulled the damn trigger, so I have to strongly agree that Rich would win that. I don’t want to use any clichés like “he’s getting better with age”, but Rich certainly hasn’t dropped off, and he’s a damn smart fighter. Rich is big enough to bully Le, and technical enough to stand with him.

Damn it, now I want to see this.

• AlphaOmega says:

Faust is breaking out the fancy typing with the symbols above the letters and stuff

• Creature says:

Rich looked better in his last fight than he ever has IMO, and that just makes me wonder how good hes going to look not coming off a year and a half layoff.. I think he picks Le apart for a UD or actually might get a sub in the 3rd.

• JabCrossHook says:

Cote was beaten to the punch or kick almost everytime on the outside. His offense was sporadic because Cung kept him out of his game. Cote got countered every single time he had any momentum, that’s something Cung did extremely well and not something Cote did wrong. Cung is just a much better technical striker.

I’m rooting for Cung Le against Rich, I just love his fighting style, always puts on a show and goes for the finish.

• fanoftna33 says:

Hope Cung Le is in great shape here because we all know Rich will be, I think if Cung is in great shape and can go 5 rounds he wins this fight.