Dana White: “Lombard, maybe should fight at 170.”

If it appeared as though Tim Boetsch was facing a smaller man on Saturday night at UFC 149, it’s because he was. While Hector Lombard only measured in at a half-pound lighter than Boetsch at the weigh-ins, he stood a few inches shorter than him and likely cut a lot less weight to hit the required mark based on his frame.

However, if UFC President Dana White has his way, the size disadvantage the 5’8” Lombard is often at when he takes to the cage will be gone by his next outing, as the opinionated executive has hopes that the former Bellator middleweight champ will give welterweight a go.

“You can’t be angry with (Lombard), but it just shows you guys, ranking guys who don’t fight in the UFC, it’s two different worlds. Guys that fight in other organizations that end up in the Top 10 rankings, it’s a whole other world over here. Lombard, maybe should fight at 170. He made 185 easily. He’s short and wide, but I think he could make 170,” said White at the post-event press conference attached to this past weekend’s event.

Lombard has also mentioned welterweight in the past, saying he could get down to 170 pounds but prefers 185 based on the ease in making it when compared to the difficulty in shedding more pounds during the days leading up to a fight.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

I liked that one post fight press conference where Dana said he’d never tell a fighter or suggest to them that they should fight at a different weight class, that it’s up to them, and yet he does it all the time. Here he is doing it again.

• Lord Faust says:

I’m still getting a kick out of the post-fight reactions. Aside from a very defensive / inactive opponent, this was EXACTLY the type of fight Hector engages in.

People are pissed the UFC hype machine lied to them. Anyone expecting a Cuban version of Anderson Silva was a fool.

That said, I thought Boestch got a gift decision in a fight that was hard-to-watch. Boestch ate some staggering shots and was taken down in both rounds the judges inexplicably award to him.

• climbarock says:

Shit fight, shittier decision. I am not imprez with either fighter’s performance.

That said, Lombard landed all the significant strikes, won every grappling exchange….and Boestch timidly bounced around on the outside and threw slapping low kicks. Fuck compu-strike and all the statistics geeks, all strikes are not equal.

Rogan has an unhealthy obsession with leg kicks. Boestch ain’t no Jose Aldo.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

• AlphaOmega says:

You’re right climbarock, Rogan sure does love his leg kicks

• Lord Faust says:

Leg kicks are basically the only narrative Joe can apply to a fight.

• darth_irritable says:

Faust – unless there’s a D’arce choke involved.

• Lord Faust says:

Haha, true.

I like Joe and Mike, but both have their own vocabulary issues.

I still contend that a team of Mir and Sonnen would be the dream commentary team. Your mileage may vary.

• THEGUNNER says:

Im so glad I didnt order these fights but I still feel like I missed out. Bas rutten should become a ref and commintater for ufc.

• “The decision could have gone either way in my eyes but what a painful way to watch Lombard’s winning streak end.”

Perfectly said. I figured Hector would find out how much tougher the competition is in the octagon(aside from Schlmenko), but I also figured people looking to take Hectors win streak away would actually go after it and not just point fight nervously. I anticipated Hector losing his first fight in the UFC by split decision, I just figured itd be FOTN candidate not something that sucked so bad people bitched about it for days after.