Shoulder injuries caused Cheick Kongo problems at UFC 149

Cheick Kongo tends to be involved in thrilling fights that are nothing short of all-out brawls. However, over the weekend at UFC 149, Kongo and Shawn Jordan exchanged in what turned out to be a clinch-fest for the better part of three rounds.

Kongo, who was given the decision victory over Jordan, has now explained why his performance was on the less-than-spectacular side.

“I dislocated my left and right shoulder and right clavicle. It’s painful,” said Kongo, in a post-fight interview with MMA Heat. “In training camp, I had good partners; they pushed me a lot, even with my injuries. They were not nice.”

Kongo improved to 18-7-2 in his career with the victory over Jordan. He was originally set to face former champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira but Nogueira was forced out after his broken arm failed to heal in time. No word has surfaced on how long Kongo will be out recovering from his shoulder issues.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• hindsightufuk says:

should have pulled out, saved us 15 minutes of our lives.
    i think being a sub par dull as fuck fighter with a penchant for getting knocked out rather quickly probably had something to do with the lessthanspectacularness

• hindsightufuk says:

i was about to say isnt it time he was cut but he’s actually only lost one of his last 6 fights.
    admittedly 4 of those have be boring as my 90 year old grandfathers cock, but its not that bad a record.
    just seems worse cos of all the shitfests

Good for Kongo to get the win & a paycheck… BAD for the fans who continue to pay for hurt fighters to wing it come fight time.

I fully understand why the fighters push themselves to get in the cage even if hurt BUT this isn’t fair to the fans… and what kind of work up do the drs do to deem these guys ready for combat?

• qat says:

hindsightufuk your comparison makes me curious, are there other cocks you do find interesting? and why do you care about the one of your grandfather? :)

As for Kongo, i cant find much compassion from me for him either. If he is well enough to fight, he has to fight the best he can. He just tried not to lose..

• Screenplaya says:

I am not sure I believe Kongo’s excuse. I think Greg Jackson trained Jordan to “fight” the boring style of “fight” that gave him his only chance of winning. When it became clear to Kongo that Jordan had no chance, even using the tactic of boring Kongo to sleep, Kongo just settled in, let Jordan choose the type of fight he wanted to lose, and Kongo’s chin didn’t need to be tested.

• MCM says:

So everyone bitches about fighters pulling out of the this card due to injuries and when a fighter actually fights with an injury, everyone bitches that he should have pulled out?!? MMA fans are fickle.

I agree Screenplaya. Even before the fight Jordan was saying that he didn’t mind going to a decision cause a win is a win and that’s all that matters.

• AlphaOmega says:

What’s up with all these articles with comments are closed now?

• Kamakosmo says:

“…admittedly 4 of those have to be boring as my 90 year old grandfathers cock”

Ummm…maybe you should just try your Dad’s next time?

J/K ;)

• THEGUNNER says:

Nobady wants to read how bisping sucks any way keep the comments closed fuck it.

• AlphaOmega says:

The new weidman article’s comments are closed too..and renan baros, it seems any article that there might be arguments in the comments, they are now closing.

• Angry Mike says:

Yeah, what’s up with closed comments? The controversial articles always generate the best and funniest comments.