Vitor Belfort calls out Chris Weidman

In his quest to earn a second crack at the divisional title, UFC middleweight Vitor Belfort has decided to set his sights on a scrap with the man many feel is currently the company’s top 185-pound contender – Chris Weidman. Belfort recently went public with his desire to dance with Weidman, saying he’d already approached the UFC matchmaking team about putting the fight together on October 13 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil at UFC 153.

“I want the belt but I am not desperate,” wrote Belfort on Twitter. “I think Weidman is the next for the belt, but Anderson Silva deserves to see who is next… So let’s make this fight the next contender.”

Unfortunately for “The Phenom”, Weidman didn’t take the bait and wasted little time dismissing the notion of a bout with Belfort.

“Love ya @vitorbelfort but you already had your shot at the belt and I’m sure u will have another in the future. Now is my time though,” responded Weidman on the social networking outlet.

Weidman is unbeaten nine fights into his career including five wins inside the Octagon and success against the likes of Tom Lawlor, Demian Maia, and most recently Mark Munoz. Comparably, Belfort has come out with his hand raised in two straight tilts with victories over Yoshihiro Akiyama and Anthony Johnson.

For now the futures of both men remain up in the air though one thing appears clear – Weidman and Belfort won’t be locking horns anytime soon.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

13 COMMENTS
  • Rece Rock says:

    “Love ya @vitorbelfort but you already had your shot at the belt and I’m sure u will have another in the future. Now is my time though,”

    I translate that as “I’m not going to take the chance of losing to you Belfort.”

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 4 Thumb down 4

  • Richard Stabone says:

    With things so wide open for the #1 MW contender spot, I can’t blame any of these guys for speaking out and trying to gain any inch of leverage they can while everyone jockeys for position.

    I hope Silva himself chimes in on the matter at some point… I wonder if there’s any particular guy he’d like to fight next or if he’ll take the company line of “whoever the UFC chooses for me next.”

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • AlphaOmega says:

    Silva probably won’t come out and say who he’d like to fight next, but him or his manager will probably make comments about whoever they pick doesn’t deserve to fight for the belt against him.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 4 Thumb down 0

  • MickeyC says:

    Ya his management always has a reason why some one does not deserve a shot.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • MCM says:

    “Love ya @vitorbelfort but you already had your shot at the belt and I’m sure u will have another in the future. Now is my time though,”

    I translate that as “I’m not going to take the chance of being booked against you and having you pull out AGAIN, thus forcing someone else to get my shot at the belt. Belcher’s picking a fight, quit ducking.”

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 1

  • stone says:

    MCM+1

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 1

  • Richard Stabone says:

    I know it’s happened, but which particular fighters has Silva & his camp actually labeled as undeserving of a shot at his belt?

    I know they didn’t want to give Chael another shot after Silva had already beaten him, with Chael drawing a suspension from the NAC for using synthetic testosterone & having an elevated ratio, along with the barrage of insults on a personal & professional level.

    But who else have they said was undeserving? And was it an unfair statement?

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 2

  • Dufresne says:

    I know Bisping is already booked, but I would have liked to have seen a mini tournament with Weidman, Belfort, Belcher, and Bisping. Hell, scrap the Bisping/Stann fight and make the tournament and set Brian Stann v Mark Munoz instead.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 2

  • Big Stank says:

    If this fight happens I see Weidman grinding out a decision win or maybe late Sub.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 0

  • MCM says:

    Richard,
    they said both Hendo and Marquardt were undeserving of rematches (one of the reasons Hendo left for SF.), Even though Hendo was on a 3 fight win streak and Marquardt was 4-1 counting that BS split loss to Leites. They also refused the Okami rematch when he was riding a 3 fight win streak before losing to Chael.
    It’s one of the reasons he was dipping his toes into 205, he didn’t want to grant anyone a rematch, no matter what had transpired since their first meeting.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • MCM says:

    Vitor Belfort
    #belcher lets make this fight #ufcrio in oct 13

    from twitter

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • darth_irritable says:

    This reads like Vitor thinks he can beat Weidman. I tend to agree – which is why Silva will happily have Weidman for breakfast when they do meet.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Richard Stabone says:

    MCM, thanks for the additional info & insight.

    So it sounds like Anderson’s biggest thing is he’s reluctant to defend his title against the same guy multiple times. Given his unprecedented level of dominance, and his advancing age, I don’t have a big problem with that. Anderson himself said a while back: “I’m no longer the same, everything hurts and it takes much longer for me to recover (from injuries).”

    But bviously there are circumstances where a rematch is warranted, like we saw with Chael.

    Also, one thing I find kinda interesting is that the 3 guys you mentioned–Hendo, Marquardt, Okami–each lost their next fight after Anderson apparently refused to fight them.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 1

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Follow 5OZ