Gilbert Melendez set to meet Pat Healy in September

Strikeforce lightweight Pat Healy has finally earned a crack at Gilbert Melendez’s divisional title after stringing together five consecutive wins. The bout will take place on September 29 in Sacramento and unfold on Showtime.

Strikeforce officials confirmed the clash earlier today as did Melendez who went on Twitter and wrote, “Game on!”

Healy only holds a career mark of 28-16 but spent a number of years facing all-comers including Paul Daley, Dan Hardy, and Carlos Condit (all of whom he beat). He was last seen outpointing Mizuto Hirota earlier this month at Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy.

The 21-2 Melendez will be defending his belt for the fifth time with successful outings under his belt against Shinya Aoki, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Jorge Masvidal, and Josh Thomson.

No other bouts have been attached to the card though heavyweight Daniel Cormier is expected to see action at the show.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

“Game on!” = ” There’s shit else for me to do and it’s an easy win!”

• fanoftna33 says:

Better than facing Thompson for the 4th time, still I would like to see Gilbert vs KJ in the future.

• Richard Stabone says:

Melendez will be a heavy favorite but I expect this to be a very competitive fight… Gil is overrated and Healy is a scrapper with plenty of experience.

• Lord Faust says:

Typical Strikeforce booking… The next title contender was on the fucking undercard of the last event.

(Not knocking Bam here. Way to build a contender, Strikefarce.)

• hindsightufuk says:

whatever about Strikeforce, at this stage they are doing more damage than good. that said i do want to see this fight, i like Pat Healy and his run deserves more than Strikeforce have been giving him (undercard fights)

• MCM says:

thank you hindsight. I thought I was the only one that thought Healy rightfully deserves a shot at the belt. I’ll even go so far as to say that I think Healy pulls off the win.

Are you reading this Bam Bam? Choke his ass Out!

• AlphaOmega says:

MCM: Wouldn’t that be funny if that happened and screwed up all of Gilbert’s work on hyping himself up and putting down all the other competition SF gives him?

I think it should be a good fight

• hindsightufuk says:

Gilbert has been looking less impressive and less motivated in each fight. now he fights a guy who doesnt even get on Strikeforce main cards, i dont see him taking it any more seriously.
    I’m with MCM, Bam Bam for a late choke win

• fanoftna33 says:

Hindsight I think maybe you missed Melendez vs Kawajiri as Gilbert was a complete beast, and Masvidal is such a tough fight for anybody that I cant remember the last guy that looked great beating him. And the fight with Thompson was so exciting, I understand Healy isnt a household name but I am sure we see a motivated and impressive Melendez.