UPDATE: Frank Mir facing Daniel Cormier at upcoming Strikeforce event

A former UFC heavyweight champ will indeed take on unbeaten Strikeforce Grand Prix winner Daniel Cormier this fall when the former Olympian returns to the ring but it will not be Tim Sylvia as had been rumored. Instead, Cormier will collide with Frank Mir in what will be his final fight under the organization’s banner before joining the UFC.

USA Today reported the match-up late last night, confirming the story with both Strikeforce and UFC officials including outspoken executive Dana White.

“There has been a lot of speculation as to who Cormier would fight next, and this is the fight that makes the most sense,” explained White. “The reality is, Cormier is one of the best heavyweights in the world…He needs to fight opponents of that caliber, and Frank Mir is that guy.”

UPDATE: News has since surfaced stating Cormier-Mir will be moved to a different Strikeforce card in October or November rather than placed on September’s show.

Mir will be looking to avoid back-to-back losses when he enters the ring, having fallen by strikes to UFC title-holder Junior dos Santos in May. The stumble snapped a three-fight winning streak for the 16-9 Mir who holds past wins over Sylvia, Mirko Filipovic, Brock Lesnar, and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Cormier is coming off a win over Josh Barnett. He holds an overall record of 10-0 with seven stoppages to his credit.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC/STRIKEFORCE

Sounds good to me….
    Ppl on line have already handed DC the win, but Mir is still a threat & could pull a win out of his ass.

Well-Done. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

• G-DUB says:

Absolutely RR. This is not a gimmie fight. Interesting matchup and it makes tons of sense for both fighters since both DC and Mir have something to gain with a win here. Other than this fight, Mir was pretty much out of options. A win here brings him back to the UFC as a viable threat to any HW. It could happen, but you’d have to install DC as a significant favorite here.

• moosebaby02 says:

Sorry dont see DC winning this one. Cant stand Mir and never will but he is way too good (God that almost killed me admitting that). This is not a good match up for DC at all but a win does so much for him coming into the UFC

• sdouglasmc says:

I really like Mir and I actually thought he stood a chance against JDS but I’m not quite sure about him in this fight. I know he’s only really lost to bigger guys that could have their way with him against the cage, but JDS showed that he couldn’t handle hand speed.

I see DC as having quicker hand speed than Mir. Unless Mir can take this one to the ground, which will be tough from what I’ve seen of DC so far, I don’t see this being a very good night for him. This could easily play out just like the Josh Barnett fight for DC.

• hindsightufuk says:

lets hope big Daniel trains his boxing a little bit more, seems it only takes one punch to put Mir on queer street these days (never said that before, queer street, i feel liberated).
    still wanna see little Timothy fight someone though.
    Actually Josh vs Mir would be a nice fight.

seeing as the comments are closed on the Ben rothwell fight i’ll just add

Ben Rothwell withdraws from UFC on FOX 4 match-up with Travis Browne

i dont blame him, it would be fucking boring anway, sick of seeing subpar heavyweights ruin UFC main cards. WHERE THE FUCKS MARK HUNT AT?

• qat says:

Yeah i think the matchup is not that good for Mir here, i cannot see him getting a takedown on Cormier or having the upper hand in a clinch, and Cormier has looked strong on the feet as well. But you can never ever count Mir out. This is a stiff test for Cormier that could catapult him into the title picture, im pumped.

• fanoftna33 says:

Great match up here, for Cormier if he wins he beats a former UFC champ and recent title contender, if he loses dito, win win. Personally I see a tough fight for both guys as if Mir is on he is double tough, good striking great submissions so really nowhere is safe, but if he isnt on Cormier can probably take a tko in the later rounds.

• fanoftna33 says:

Hindsight, I think that was a pretty interesting fight to push one or the other into the top of the division, a revamped Rothwell vs Brown would see some heavy leather being thrown.

• hindsightufuk says:

yeah but that again shows how light the HW division is. If we’re talking about either Browne or Rothwell being on the cusp of being one of the 10 best heavyweights on the planet, then thats not a good place to be. I dont mind Big Ben but i’m not sold on Travis being anything more than card filler.
    I had a nice accumulator going on Jamie Varner and Ben Rothwell both getting the win, ruined now

• AlphaOmega says:

Cormier trains with Cain at AKA right? I think that’ll be a big help in figuring out how to beat Mir

• Richard Stabone says:

Cormier wins this one.

I don’t see Mir faring any better than Barnett, and Mir is less durable than Josh when it comes to absorbing punishment so I think it’ll be yet another (T)KO mark on Frank’s record.

Interesting to see a UFC guy agree to step over to SF to take a fight – props to Frank for that.

• Spoken says:

I’d be down for the winner of this fighting Overeem in the UFC for a shot at the title. I’d hate to see Mir back in there against JDS but I’d say the chances of him beating Cormier and Overeem are incredibly slim.

• Lord Faust says:

I think this is a closer fight than most think.

DC is at a severe size disadvantage against Mir; this is also a scenario where Frank tends to do a lot better — when he isn’t being bullied.

Disregarding the doughy shape Frank appeared to be in for the JDS fight, he’s got an 8″ reach advantage and probably the best BJJ at the heavyweight level.

I’d say DC is a slight favourite, but Mir has legit avenues to win this fight.

• MCM says:

From a fan perspective I would have rather seen Mir fight Josh. But I can’t legitimately argue the matchmaking in here. DC has a lot more momentum going into this fight, but Mir is a tough SOB. I could see either winning this but I think Mir’s propensity for eating shots against the cage and when taken down are gonna be the deciding factor in this fight.

And Damn it, I wanted to see Rothwell vs. Browne. I think it’s unfair to call Rothwell a super HW after how he looked in his last fight against Schaub and it’s not like he’s never been on the top 10 list before. I also feel that even with the ton of mileage he has, he’s just hitting 30 and is now hitting his prime.

MIR 6’3″ 79″ reach 261lbs
    DC 5’10” 71″ reach 238lbs

Interesting….

Just for reference…

Barnett 6′ 3″ 78″ reach 248lbs

• Lord Faust says:

Barnett also fought five rounds with a broken hand.

I still want to see Mir / Barnett before they both retire.

• Richard Stabone says:

Based on size/reach, Barnett had a similar “advantage” over Cormier to what Mir will have. Yet DC was able to literally toss him around the cage. The dude has beast strength. He reminds me of Brock in a smaller package, with far better striking.

There’s a good chance this fight will hit the mat at some point, giving Mir a chance to latch onto something, but with DC’s outstanding grappling skills and ground & pound, that’ll be a danagerous endeavor.

I think this one ends with a concussed Mir suffering another brutal defeat. Like the matchup though.

• Richard Stabone says:

Barnett & Cormier both broke their hand in the 1st round of that fight. DC had broken it while KO’ing Big Foot too, so he apparently opted to have it surgically repaired this time, so that it will hold up better moving forward… in theory, anyway.

• Lord Faust says:

I do not disagree with anything being said. And yeah, Cormier has ungodly strength; I don’t think I have ever seen anyone come close to ragdolling Barnett like DC did. That guy is like 10 lbs. of muscle stuffed in a 5 lb. bag!

• AlphaOmega says:

I think everyone here recently who’s fought Big Foot has broken their hand. Has any word on if Barnett is getting an opponent surfaced?

• MickeyC says:

Biggest winner in this is Showtime. With good publisity. & some decentt pre fights it will be there biggest card to date

• AlphaOmega says:

Hopefully this sets a good precedent. Maybe now some of the lower tier fighters will start going over to SF, even for one off fights. The fighters who are good enough to beat all the people under them on the ratings listing, but when it comes to title competition they just can’t quite grasp it.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I wouldn’t get too excited about that prospect just yet. This is a special situation since Cormier is being folded into the UFC’s roster after the fight. Plus, it’s not like the UFC has a hard time finding slots for their fighters on their own events given the sheer number of shows being put on every year. No reason to book guys on Strikeforce cards and further water down their own product.

If anything Strikeforce might benefit from sending over their fighters occasionally to prevent situations like Jason High’s or Tim Kennedy’s where they get to fight once every 9-12 months instead of 3-5.

• elsicilian says:

great matchup … looks like i won’t cancel my showtime subscription quite yet.