Nick Diaz back in the gym, wants to fight Anderson Silva

The words fans have been waiting to hear since early February have finally surfaced – Nick Diaz has decided he wants to continue fighting rather than remain retired. The 28-year old announced he was done with MMA after a controversial decision loss to Carlos Condit costing him a shot at UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre’s title. However, with a few months to reflect on things it looks like he’s ready to return to the cage and will do so when his marijuana-related suspension runs out in early 2013 (if not sooner).

The good news came by way of Diaz’s manager/coach Cesar Gracie who took to GracieFighter.com to write, “For the last couple of months I’ve watched Nick begin to frequent the gym more and more. He’s training harder now than he has for many of his fights. It was obvious that training and fighting is in his DNA. It is who he is.”

“This week we had a great talk and he made it clear to me that he is ready to get back to the cage. Nick Diaz will return,” he stated, summing the situation up.

With St-Pierre off the table Diaz has set his sights on another divisional champion in the form of Anderson Silva. While the match-up may seem unlikely on the surface, Silva has recently expressed a desire to participate in “big money” fights and Diaz’s style/fanbase would certainly create such a scenario were they to face off in the Octagon.

“Nick has stated that he would like to take fights ‘that matter’. Since GSP will be fighting Condit, he has to look elsewhere. He will respectfully ask for a fight with Anderson Silva, a fighter he respects and would like to challenge,” explained Gracie. “Silva’s camp has been speaking of a fight with GSP, possibly even at a catch weight. Nick will take that fight in a minute but has told me that should Silva decide not to drop at all, he will move up to 185lbs to face the Champ.”

Gracie closed things out by saying he was meeting with UFC President Dana White in August to discuss Diaz’s return and urged fans to show their support online.

The complete statement from Gracie can be found below:

It’s been a trying time these last 4 months as I have been faced with the prospect that one of our team’s most talented fighters had decided to leave the sport. As a fan I’ve always admired what both of the Diazs brought to the cage; a combination of technical brilliance and raw violence.

Nate Diaz has finally put his game together and found the formula to propel him to the top of the 155lbs division. To see Nick leave at the top of his game was difficult.

This week we had a great talk and he made it clear to me that he is ready to get back to the cage. Nick Diaz will return.

To address the NSAC suspension, I will say that we have appealed to the courts and if things go our way, it will be plausible that Nick could return as early as sometime at the end of this year.

For too long NSAC bureaucrats have acted with malicious incompetence towards the fighters. We will challenge them in court.

As far as future opponents, Nick has stated that he would like to take fights “that matter”. Since GSP will be fighting Condit, he has to look elsewhere. He will respectfully ask for a fight with Anderson Silva, a fighter he respects and would like to challenge.

I will be meeting with Dana next Monday August 6th to discuss this and other issues. If you appreciate Nick’s fighting style, please let Dana know that you want Nick back ASAP.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MickeyC says:

I dout Silva will go for it, well I guess I should say his mangment. Id pay to see it.

Most guys on suspension or coming off suspension play the humble role… You know: “just happy to be back here doing what I love” or “Thanks to Zuffa & the fans for the opportunity I won’t disappoint them again”… BUT not Diaz he keeps it gangsta he wants to call out a champ in a different weight class while he’s still serving his suspension and a few months into retirement.

The saga continues…

And yes I’d pay to see that fight… And yes I’d rather see that fight then GSP vs Silva.

• AlphaOmega says:

Didn’t Shields move up to MW because there was a chance he’d have to fight Nick while climbing into title contention again? So how this will affect that if Nick wins.

I bet Silva’s management will make some of the same arguments against Diaz getting the fight as they did against Chael’s rematch, he’s a juicer, criminal, blah blah.

• Richard Stabone says:

Well, I’d love to see this fight. I think it would be hilarious to watch Nick try to stand in the pocket throwing jabs & body shots to Silva.

But as far as the logistics go…

It was ridiculous enough for Nick to be granted an immediate shot at GSP’s belt before that all fell thru. But it was at least his logical weight class.

To give him an immediate title shot in a different weight class, coming off a loss *and* suspension… it would be stupid on so many levels.

So if this fight is gonna happen I think it needs to be a catch weight. By putting the fight together as a catch weight it becomes more of a special engagement, where the usual rules of rankings, etc. aren’t as much of an issue, and with no belt on the line.

It would buy some time while the MW division works itself out, and one of these “amateur kids” can better establish himself to rightfully earn a shot at Silva’s belt. And it would certainly give Silva an interesting matchup that would generate plenty of money. I think it would be incredibly lopsided in Silva’s favor, but if they agree to meet at 180 lbs or something that will at least make it seem a little more even.

Once again, this seems like a scenario that probably won’t actually happen, but it’s fun to talk about. But one way or another, I wish Nick would just let the suspension expire, come back and take fights that the UFC puts together like virtually every other guy does. He’s becoming quite the drama queen.

• MickeyC says:

If it were catch weight it would not be a title fight.

• Big Stank says:

Diaz tryin to make a splash, gotta love it

• AlphaOmega says:

If we can believe the letter, nick doesn’t want to do a catchweight fight, which is kinda weird since the reason the Mayhem fight never happened is Diaz wanted mayhem to cut weight, saying he wouldn’t put weight on to fight him.

• THEGUNNER says:

Its aboit time someones stepping up and making fights that make sense rather have a renatch.

• elsicilian says:

Silva vs. Diaz at 170, 185 or a catch weight?

yes. please.

• This is actually better to me than Silva vs GSP! I would love to see how many shots from the Spider Nick could take and I would also love to see if the high volume insane cardio and iron chin of Diaz could be what might actually break the spider.

On the other kick this is awesome to hear and I hope NSAC quits being a bunch of vindictive douche bags and lifts Nick’s suspension early. They lifted Chael’s early and he not only used a performance enhancing drug, but he lied about it and had his company busted for money laundering while he was at it. All Nick did was smoke a little weed which he has a perscription for, which was already known(unlike Chael) and decided to get into NSAC’s face for not offering him a fair hearing in a timely manner, so they decided to throw the book at him. I hope some other state comission tells NSAC to suck it and licenses Nick.
    Rich said it well too, this would be a perfect fight at a catchweight to let 185 work itself out.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Catchweight of 178.
    5 rds.
    Very difficult matchup for Diaz, the dude has balls.

• madheartmma says:

Diaz is a frigging fighter to say,not only does he wanna fight again, BUT he wants to fight the best fighter ever! How can you not like the guy if you like fighting? Let’s be realistic. He’s not gonna jump the line & get the shot. I actually doubt the fight ever happens at all. He’s to small. But might have the biggest heart of all time. Oh yeah. He won rounds 1-2-5 #WarDiaz

I think Diaz just sees $$$$