Mike Swick: “I’m going into this fight and every fight afterwards like it’s my last one…”

This Saturday night has been a long time coming for Ultimate Fighter original Mike Swick. The 14-4 welterweight hasn’t set foot inside the Octagon as a competitor in more than two years due to a ruthless run of injuries and will end the drought when he faces DaMarques Johnson on the network-bound portion of UFC on FOX 4.

The extended absence from action coupled with his health issues have left Swick eager to entertain fans while making sure to soak up the moment, knowing better than most it very well could be his final appearance in the ring.

“Obviously you’re always going to be nervous anytime you’re about to fight, but to be honest I’m excited more than anything else. You’re going out there in a position where you can lose something you want and that something for me is to get my career back, but overall my nerves are pretty low on this one. That has a lot to do with all that I’ve been through these past two years,” revealed Swick in an interview with Fighters.com. “At the time of the Paulo Thiago fight I truly felt my career was going to be over. I thought I would never fight again and to be given a second chance to get my career back and fight in the UFC is awesome.”

In 2010 Swick was diagnosed with a serious stomach condition called dyspepsia which forced him onto a strict diet limiting his ability to maintain the fitness necessary for MMA. However, it was later discovered he suffered from a different affliction and he was able to receive other treatment once again making fighting a possibility.

“I am also going in there with a body that is healthier than it has been in years,” he added. “I’m going into this fight and every fight afterwards like it’s my last one because you never know what’s going to happen to you. There’s nothing stopping me from fighting for the next four or five years, but on the flip side nothing is guaranteed either. I’m going to make sure I leave everything I have inside of the Octagon just in case it is my last fight.”

The bout between Swick-Johnson can be caught on FOX when the main card fires up at 8:00 PM EST.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• fanoftna33 says:

Cannot wait to see Quick back in action.

• AlphaOmega says:

That sounds somewhat familiar of brocks story with having an injury that hurt the training chances and everything. I wonder how many fighters actually do get internal injuries like that but we just never hear about.

• Lord Faust says:

Swick’s bigger issue was the misdiagnosis; it cost him something like a year of arguably the prime of his career.

I had no idea what had happened to him, and I’m glad to see he’s coming back for at least one more fight; his initial run through the UFC had all the makings of a good success story. Then, he dropped weight, fought once and disappeared.

• fanoftna33 says:

I still think he was much better suited for 185, really he only lost 1 fight at MW and that was a decision to Okami, he hasnt looked great at WW but hopefully now that his health is back we see the old Swick.

• MCM says:

Ha. I was just typing that fanoftna33, but you beat me to it. I think he was better at 185 too and thought that the sickness and misdiagnosis were responsible for his drop to WW. But he did pretty good at WW too. He was on a 4 fight winning streak at WW when he met Hardy so I think his body adjusted fine to 170 lbs. If it was me, I wouldn’t risk the cut with how damaging it is on my body, and go back to MW. We’ll see what happens this weekend.

• Lord Faust says:

Okami made him realise he was in the wrong weight class. He came to the realisation during the fight; I will never forget the stunned sounding of his voice, telling his corner every round “that guy is ridiculously strong”, “he’s pushing me around”.