Brandon Vera: “What I’m game for is seeing whose legs break first – my shins or his shins, my knees or his knees.”

UFC light heavyweight Brandon Vera has no illusions about what fans and even his employers expect to see on Saturday night when he mixes it up with Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in the main event of UFC on FOX 4. Rua is a former divisional champion with wins over some of the MMA’s best, while Vera has a single win since 2009 and was briefly released by the UFC after a 2011 loss. As such, Vera will be far from the favorite come showtime, yet “The Truth” seems unfazed, remaining supremely confident in his ability to pull off the upset and possible even earn a title-shot as a result.

“They brought me into this fight as a fish for ‘Shogun’ to eat. What they don’t realize is that this fish is a shark, ready to eat ‘Shogun,’” stated Vera on FOX’s recent Road to the Octagon special highlighting the build towards this weekend’s event.

“What I’m game for is seeing whose legs break first – my shins or his shins, my knees or his knees. And I’m game to find out. If he wants to crack shins all day long I’m down,” an animated Vera continued, elaborating on his plan against the 20-6 Rua. “’Shogun’ is used to being a bully. If ‘Shogun’ can bully you, he’s gonna beat on you, but if ‘Shogun” can’t bully you he starts to get confused real quick. His demeanor starts to change and he becomes a thinking man. ‘Shogun’ is not a thinking man, he’s a ‘going’ man. If I can get ‘Shogun’ to think he’s f*cked.”

UFC on FOX 4 fires up at 8:00 PM EST on network television. Prelims can be caught on Fuel TV leading up to the main card.

Watch the full Road to the Octagon feature below including a look at the bout between Ryan Bader-Lyoto Machida:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• THEGUNNER says:

If vera loses he should go back to prelim fights.

• Lord Faust says:

Vera wants to know whose bones will break first? He’s seen his medical suspensions, right?

• MCM says:

At least Vera shows up to fight. Gotta love that, if nothing else.

• hindsightufuk says:

in a move that i do not understand nor have any control over, i find myself rooting for Brandon Vera in this fight. the big donkey will be getting my support and i hope he wins in devasting fashion and goes on to face JJ

• darth_irritable says:

Interesting that Vera’s talking about shins and knees, as opposed to say… noses.

• Lord Faust says:

I hope he wins too, and looks good. I always have a soft spot for underdogs, and I think Vera’s taken a lot of unwarranted hate for being in this main event. (What’s he going to do, say “no Dana, I don’t want to be a main event on Fox; these guys on Twitter don’t think I’m good enough.”)

Shogun has made a believer out of me, but the mileage is really starting to show — no telling what the Hendo fight did to him in the long run.

Orbital & nose bones

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Yippie! The fight night to see who gets to send Jones to the hospital to have parts of their face removed from his elbows, again.