5 Oz. MMA Link Club

Welcome back to another edition of “MMA Link Club”, Five Ounces of Pain‘s weekly smorgasbord of offerings from our brothers and sisters in the MMA community. Enjoy…

Josh Koscheck Says Bridge with American Kickboxing Academy is Already Burnt (MMAConvert.com)

Donald Cerrone Calls Out Anthony Pettis (Heavy.com)

Michael Bisping, Kenny Florian, Rashad Evans, and Dominick Cruz Address TRT in MMA (TheFightNerd.com)

Brandon Vera Ready to Alter History with Win Over Mauricio Rua at UFC on FOX 4 (FightOpinion.com)

Lyoto Machida Understands Why Rua Turned Down Fight with Glover Teixeira (5thRound.com)

Are Fans Ready for the Ref-Cam in the UFC? (MMAPayout.com)

Dana White Wants Forrest Griffin to Retire (BleacherReport.com)

Ronda Rousey Ready to Beat Down Steven Seagal (MMAMania.com)

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Richard Stabone says:

I’ll toss another link into the mix… a candid conversation between Tito Ortiz & Joe Rogan on Rogan’s podcast.

I’ve never been much of a Tito fan, especially in the later years when he was causing main card slots to be wasted on shitty fights, but listening to this forced me to shift my perspective about the dude.

• Richard Stabone says:

^ Oh, and just a warning, it’s really long but worth the time.

• Richard Stabone says:

Cerrone calling out Pettis is kinda silly at this point. I love his attitude, he’s reall well rounded, and puts on exciting fights. But I think his early run in the UFC left him a bit overrated. He beat a couple guys who are no longer with the UFC, a couple more who subsequently dropped down a weight class, and then dominated Jeremy Stephens in impressive fashion.

I was a bit of a Cerrone apologist after the Diaz fight, as it seemed pretty obvious Donald was just *off* that night, but at the same time he’s still yet to prove himself against top competition with Melvin being a pretty good opportunity, fighting in front of a home crowd. He’ll need to control his emotions/adrenaline better than he did in the Diaz fight. Should be a great fight but I’ve gotta lean towards Melvin.

• Richard Stabone says:

And Ronda…

Gene is an old fart. Respect the Sensei.

• Richard Stabone says:

Uh oh… the thumbs down warrior is baaaack.

• Lord Faust says:

It’s OK, I’ve got your back. And the podcast recommendation is definitely worth pursuing.

• MCM says:

I gave you the thumbs down on the Cerrone post. Trying to hype up Pettis while diminishing Donald lacks all kinds of logic. I know you’re gonna bring up that Pettis beat Bendo (cause that’s the only argument anyone has for ranking Pettis) but everyone forgets that that was an extremely close fight, one that I had Bendo wining, until the “Showtime kick”.
    I’m not trying to pick a fight. I just feel that Cerrone has proven himself time and time again, while Pettis is still capitalizing off one kick delivered two years ago and hasn’t done anything of significance since.

• Richard Stabone says:

How did my initial post hype up Pettis? It was focused on Donald, and his upcoming challenge against Guillard.

Again, I think Donald’s initial 5-fight win streak, while certainly impressive, led to him being a bit overly hyped. Of the 5 opponents, only Jeremy Stephens is still fighting in the UFC LW division. Then Diaz ran right thru him. I will continue to give Cerrone some benefit of the doubt with regard to that fight, as I think the build up and overall moment overwhelmed him to the point of hurting his performance. But add it all up and his track record up to this point is solid but unspectacular. Melvin will be a good test.

• Richard Stabone says:

And to better clarify, the only reason I mentioned Pettis’ name in that first response is that Donald called him out, which given Cerrone’s upcoming matchup with Guillard makes the call out silly IMO.

But if Donald beats Melvin, I’d love to see Pettis & Cowboy go at it. Great stylistic matchup.

• AlphaOmega says:

Wasn’t it the UFC that brought up cowboy vs showtime first after his win after losing to Diaz? (I forgot who he beat after losing to Diaz)

• Richard Stabone says:

@MCM – To be fair, I read my first post again and I can see how it could sound like I was suggesting Cowboy wasn’t on Pettis’ level, when saying it was silly for Donald to be calling him out. Really all I meant was the timing was dumb considering Cowboy has a tough challenge ahead in Guillard. But it’s not a big deal… I like Donald, I like his attitude, I like watching him fight.

Pettis already responded in typical fashion: “Lmao tough guy in interviews!!!! Cerrone will get his ass kicked I am never scared or hiding!!!”

So maybe it’s not so silly after all and they’re getting an early start on the build up. Donald’s got a stiff test ahead though; he better hope he can grab on to Melvin’s neck.

Finally, since I’ve been rambling about the ‘thumbs up/thumbs down’ thing lately, I don’t mind being disagreed with. I enjoy the back & forth discussion here, and it’s usually more interesting when there’s some level of disagreement. I tend to push my opinions pretty hard, encouraging a response, regardless of which side it falls on. In other words, I’d rather get a response (even the dreaded THUMBS DOWN, BIAAATCH!) than no response at all. I’m an egotistical creature.

But the thing that is weird/annoying is the random and lately consistent thumbs down that shows up with most of my posts. It’s kind of flattering to have a fan, but at least jump in the mix and back it up with substance. Then again, maybe I’m just paranoid and it’s not a single person out there, whom I’ve now dubbed the thumbs down warrior. But I think it’s real, dammit. And if it’s not Alexander Gustafsson, then I’m thinking it might be this guy, tormenting me with one ‘thumbs down’ blow after another.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

MOST…COMMENTS…IN LINK CLUB….EVER!!!

• Brendhan Conlan says:

BTW – If any of you regulars ever want to write a one-off op-ed, let me know and I reckon we could make something like that happen.

• Big Stank says:

When will people realize that Nate simply out classed Cerrone. Not that his emotions got the best of him, Nate dominated that fight in every aspect. Hearing Donald say he wants a rematch bc he was off is just pathetic. U got ur ass kicked dude, get over it.

• Richard Stabone says:

Nate ran right thru Cowboy, no question.

At the same time, Donald did not seem to be fighting at full capacity that night, for whatever reason(s).

Those two statements don’t need to be mutually exclusive. And like you suggest, all that truly matters is that Diaz dominated. Doesn’t mean we can’t attempt to further disssect & analyze the fight.

Anyway, in the spirit of links, I’d like to see Nate bring that attitude of his to this Cowboy.

• MCM says:

@Boner- I agree it’s silly to call out someone when you have a fight already in front of you. I also may have read too much into your post about Pettis. I know you’ve hyped him up in other threads and think he should be in a #1 contenders match and I just chose this thread to add my two cents on those thoughts.

@ Brendhan – If ya’ll wanna comp me tickets to tomorrows nights fights, I’ll do the play by play and supply photos for ya. ;)

• Richard Stabone says:

@MCM – Yes, I do think Pettis should be a top contender. The guy has lost twice in his career — the first time getting jobbed by the judges, and then getting out-grinded in a fight Clay won but Pettis absorbed no real damage & was active from the bottom.

And, most importantly, he’s beaten the current champ. A guy like Donald lost to the current champ. Twice.

But setting all that aside for a moment, why isn’t Nate Diaz fighting? Why did people bitch incessantly about Condit not fighting again, yet it’s all good for Nate to chill on the sidelines? Because the UFC shoved a fake belt down your guys’ throats that Carlos was supposed to give a shit about?

I mean, there hasn’t been a peep about Nate’s unwillingless to take another fight, while instead opting to wait for a title shot. I’m fine with it, cuz I was fine with Carlos doing the same before him. But the blantant hypocrisy is pretty weak shit.

• AlphaOmega says:

You also kinda gotta look at the difference between the WW and LW divisions though, LW is a log jam because of instant rematch after instant rematch, which I still think if Hendo loses he gets an instant rematch because that’s how it’s gone so far, so Diaz waiting at least sets up a new fresh fight right after whoever gets the belt. WW is a log jam because it’s waiting on his champ to heal up, although I think if you have an interim title belt you should have to defend it because that’s the whole idea is that you’re keeping the belt in play while the champion is out hurt.