Andrei Arlovski taking on Tim Sylvia (again) at ONE FC: Pride of a Nation

The rivalry between former UFC heavyweight champs Andrei Arlovski and Tim Sylvia has been rekindled this month, as a fourth fight between the two has been added to ONE FC: Pride of a Nation. Sylvia and Arlovski faced off three times in the UFC with “The Maine-iac” edging Arlovski out at 2-1 with a strike-based stoppage and decision victory to his credit. The organization’s title was on the line in all three tilts.

Arlovski and Sylvia join Jens Pulver on the August 31 card as fighters who held UFC gold in the past. Other notable competitors scheduled to see action at the event include Bibano Fernandes, Renato Sobral, and Shinya Aoki.

Sylvia has won seven of his last eight outings including three in a row. He holds an overall record of 31-7 with twenty wins by way of TKO.

Comparably, “The Pitbull” has scored finishes in back-to-back outings to bring his total up to sixteen in seventeen total victories. The 33-year old Belarusian has found in-ring success against the likes of Ben Rothwell, Fabricio Werdum, and Roy Nelson.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Big Stank says:

I hope Arlovski wins

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sylvia, Werdum, Nelson, Fulton, Eilers, Matyushenko, Zentsnov and Buentello for Arlovski.
    Arlovski, Rothwell, Rodreguez, Monson, McGee, Vera, Buentello and Silva for Sylvia.
    Both UFC champions, both been ranked as high as #2 and yet both get disrespected big time.
    I think its mainly becuz they left the UFC. If Sylvia had remained in the UFC and had lost a few to fighters like Kimbo he would still be respected and considered a top fighter, or at least not the joke he is seen to be today.
    The reason he and Arlovski are not in ZUFFA today is NOT becuz they are not good enough. It is becuz both chose to leave in order to get more money and fight the likes of Barnett, Fedor etc. They both left the UFC as “top 5″ HWs and both lost to Fedor. This did a lot of damage to the bubble of deception that the UFC had created by persueding everyone that it had all of the best. Dana still holds a grudge for this reason. Those that claim that Sylvia of Arlovski are not good enough to be in the UFC are kidding themselves. They are not top of the division but they are both better than many UFC HWs imo.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Another thing, Sylvia used to get boring and people claimed he didnt finish fights. He stopped his opponent 24 out of 31 times. 20 by TKO/KO. JDS has a stoppage % only slightly better.

• Lord Faust says:

It actually bothers me how easy it is to hate Timmeh.

I was one of those people during his title reign, but after a while hearing the guy booed no matter what he did just broke me. I think Tim wins this fight, he’s not in the UFC for some undisclosed personal reasons, whereas Arlovski has gone from feared striker to Glass Joe in recent years.

• AlphaOmega says:

Um..there aren’t any comments talking down about these two fighters, just Big Stank saying he wants Arlovski to win

• Lord Faust says:

I don’t know about anyone else, but my comment about “haters” was extremely general, not specific to this post.

• AlphaOmega says:

I didn’t see your post when I posted mine

• Big Stank says:

I didn’t really give a reason but I think he’s more ruthless than Tim. His attitude toward fighting is better. And oh yeah he isn’t begging to be back in the UFC like Tim. Here’s an idea Tim, win fights and win them impressively instead of bitching about how u “deserve” to be there. Show me u can still fight with the tenacity when u beat the shit out of Cabbage or McGee or Ricco. Then I’ll get on ur side

• Dufresne says:

I’m hoping Andrei wins here as well. And while I don’t actually hate Sylvia, I will admit to having an intense dislike for the man as a fighter. It has nothing to do with the fact that he left the UFC. It has everything to do with the fact that after he left he lost fights in 36 seconds, 9 seconds, and 32 seconds and because he blew up to over 300 doughy pounds. If he can’t be bothered to eat right and train enough to actually make a HW weight limit, I can’t be bothered to give a sh*t about his career.

• Richard Stabone says:

I don’t hate Tim; I pity that fat bastard.

I am not a fan of Dana White but he should not be a scapegoat for Sylvia’s career, much like his abnormally large dumps, spiraling down the toilet.

A win here gets neither man any closer to where they want to be