Dana White not interested in booking bout between Anderson Silva-Nick Diaz

A number of names have been thrown around as of late in conjunction with serving as UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva’s next opponent. After an early run at the spot, the list of potential foes for the dynamic Brazilian has essentially been whittled down to three candidates – Chris Weidman, Georges St-Pierre, and Nick Diaz.

The unbeaten Weidman has emerged as one of the top threats in the middleweight division in after stopping Mark Munoz with strikes and showing an ongoing evolution in the Octagon, while longstanding welterweight champion St-Pierre has been teased as an adversary for Silva before based on his relative dominance, and Diaz is a dark-horse whose name piqued curiosity a week ago based on an open challenge he made to Silva.

However, it appears Diaz may not actually be an option after all without a major push from fans and/or Silva based on comments UFC President Dana White made to MMAJunkie after a press conference attached to Saturday night’s UFC on FOX 4 lineup.

“Nick Diaz makes no sense,” explained the always-candid White. “I know that sounds fun. Yeah! Throw Nick Diaz in there! If you really look at the thing, Nick Diaz just lost to Carlos Condit at 170, so that gives him the opportunity to move up to 185 and fight the pound-for-pound best in the world? In what (expletive) universe does that make sense?”

“(Cesar Gracie) would have a better chance of convincing me, I don’t know, to get hair plugs,” added the bald businessman, referring to Diaz’s manager/coach.

While White’s opinion could change, for now it looks like Weidman or St-Pierre have pulled ahead in the Silva sweepstakes where the Grand Prize is a probable beatdown from the best fighter MMA has ever seen.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Richard Stabone says:

Well yeah, Dana, but stop thinking about it logically. Like I said earlier this week, give us this ‘beer goggles’ matchup.

There’s nothing sexy out there for Anderson right now, so why not indulge in some dirty-dirty that will appease the fans & make a shit-ton of money?

I would laugh my ass off watching Nick approach Anderson with his paws out, ready to throw jabs & body shots, so I would really like to see this fight happen. I think it’s time to make a bunch of noise on Twitter to try to convince Dana otherwise.

BTW, I do like the fact Anderson hasn’t even bothered to ackowledge Nick. Totally fitting.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Weidman will kick Silvas ass.
    Trust me.
    Strong heavy handed wrestler = perfect Silva killer.
    As shown time after time A.Silva cant stop wrestlers taking him down and holding him down. Unlike Sonnen Weidman does a lot of damage on the ground. Silva will struggle to last 1 rd of Weidmans gnp let alone 5 like he did against Sonnen.
    If Silva accepts the Weidman fight it will be Weidman via TKO rd 1.

• darth_irritable says:

Richard – but would you pay $60 for the 1:09 it would take Silva to stop laughing, and then decapitate Diaz?

• AlphaOmega says:

Weidman might be able to do that in awhile, but I think right now he won’t, he’s to fresh and green, he’ll be nervous seeing as it’ll be his biggest fight, and against A.Silva the guy touted as the best PVP in the world, the hype will get to him.

• stone says:

Weidman will be the Jon Jones of the 185ers

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Anderson hasn’t personally responded to any of the offers out there (GSP, Diaz, or Weidman). However, his managers have, and they’ve been more open to Diaz as an opponent than Weidman based on name value.

That being said, Darth, would you rather pay the $60 for Weidman? That is, if you buy PPVs for single scraps instead of the fact there are 5-6 fights on the main card. And what’s to say he doesn’t get knocked out in the first round too?

• AlphaOmega says:

Where’s the $60 coming from? Every ppv my friend and I’ve gotten has been 45

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Was just using his figure. $55 here for HD.

• Richard Stabone says:

@darth – Heck yeah, I’d pay to watch an event anchored by Silva-Diaz. Again, the matchup makes little sense and would be a complete mismatch IMO, but given the lack of current options I’d be all for it.

@Brendhan – When I say Silva hasn’t responded with regard to Diaz, I’m including his mgmt team by extension. They’ve spoken out about other potential “super fight” adversaries (being cold on a Jones matchup; hot on a GSP matchup) but I haven’t seen anything from anyone attached to Silva in response to Diaz/Gracie. Is there anything out there I’ve missed?

• MCM says:

Ed Soars said
    “Sure, we’ll consider anyone the UFC puts in front of us, I don’t have a choice. Nick Diaz is a good opponent possibly, I mean, he’s a smaller guy, but he’s a guy who comes out and fights every time, he’s going to put on a good fight. I don’t know what’s going to happen, that’s a question for Dana and [UFC matchmaker Joe] Silva.”

• Richard Stabone says:

@MCM – thanks!

So if Ed’s being genuine, sounds like they’d be open to making that fight happen if the rest of the logistics come together (mainly $$).

My order of preference would be…

1) Silva fighting Jones in the super fight of super fights. With Anderson’s advancing age, and the current situation where neither guy has an obvious opponent lined up for their next title defense, it’s now or never. Assuming Jones beats Hendo of course.

2) Silva fighting Diaz. Biggest obstacle would seem to be Diaz’s current suspension. If he can’t fight relatively soon, I’d rather Anderson not be sitting on the sidelines inching closer to age 40, and instead go ahead with this next option…

3) Silva taking on the immortal Chris Weidman. Less than 10 fights into his career, quite a few people are clamoring about this guy being the next Jon Jones, and how he’s going to GnP Silva into the mat. So this wouldn’t be a terrible option, even though I’d rather see Weidman get a little bit more experience and better earn his title shot with at least one more win. (Same goes for Gustafsson at LHW)

• MCM says:

I’d like to see Anderson take on the winner of Jones/Hendo. If Jones wins, superfight of superfights. If Hendo wins, Hendo gets a shot at redemption and Anderson gets an easier (cause he’s already beat him) chance at being the first fighter in history to hold two UFC belts at the same time. At this stage in his career, it’s the only goal left for A.S. And beating Hendo to do it is just too poetic.

This also gives both LHW and MW a chance to solidify a top contender, even though Gustafsson is already there IMO.

• darth_irritable says:

Brendan – I don’t think Weidman’s going to be the one taking Silva out just yet either. I think he needs a few more fights than just that win over Munoz, no matter how convincing it was. I *would* pay to see Rashad v. Silva, or the Right Hand of Dan Henderson get another shot. I might also be interested in Silva Shields too.

I just think Diaz is a clown – and Cesar’s a bit delusional if he thinks a Silva fight is going to happen. Diaz’ sloppy punching is going to get him messed up badly against Anderson.

Ordering the PPV on HD nets to about $60 with tax (stupid California). Generally a card needs 2-3 good fights to order it, or something really compelling. GSP, Randy, Hendo, Silva would all fall into the compelling camp.