Matt Hamill ends retirement, will fight Roger Hollett at UFC 152

It looks like Nick Diaz and B.J. Penn aren’t the only Mixed Martial Artists out there who got the itch to fight again after initially announcing their decision to call it a career despite having plenty of potentially good years ahead of them. According to UFC President Dana White, light heavyweight Matt Hamill has also decided to give MMA another go and will fight Canadian Roger Hollett at UFC 152.

The show is set for September 22 in Toronto and will feature flyweights Joseph Benavidez-Demetrious Johnson battling for the right to become the division’s first UFC champion.

Hamill announced his retirement nearly a year ago after suffering consecutive stumbles inside the Octagon, stating he no longer had the passion to perform at the necessary level and would focus his time on coaching rather than competition. He holds an overall record of 10-4 with instances of success against the likes of Mark Munoz, Keith Jardine, and Tito Ortiz.

The 13-3 Hollett will be making his UFC debut at the event after winning five in a row to earn the opportunity. Eleven of his victories have involved some form of stoppage.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

Hoping he got the fire back and will do well again, always pulling for the guy

• Angry Mike says:

Hamill is an inspirational athlete, but I thought his retirement was the correct decision. Watching the guy drop his hands and get punched in the head, repeatedly, was kinda painful.

• Big Stank says:

I hope Matt puts the hammer on this kid, he’s the most inspirational fighter I have ever watched. I can’t help but have a soft spot for this guy (not the same soft spot Tito talked about)

• MCM says:

Who is this Matt Hamill fighter, I’ve never heard of him? Perhaps is I had received my Matt Hamill prize package that I supposedly won from this site, I’d have some clue as to who this inspirational person may be. But since I have not, I’ll go on wondering about this Matt Hamill person. *sigh*

Thumbs up MCM… Thumbs up. I feel your pain.

• Angry Mike says:

“Matt Hamill prize package?”. What’s that? Ear muffs and a concussion?

• darth_irritable says:

He’s deaf so his equilibrium is out of whack. Fighters will take advantage of that.

• Richard Stabone says:

Don’t really need to see this. But best of luck to Matt.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

If the production company that offered up the prize packs had delivered them to us you can rest assured you would have gotten them. Can’t send what is promised and doesn’t show up. Next time I’ll make sure we have the merchandise in hand before any sort of contest. Live and learn.

• MCM says: