Little has been heard in relation to Anthony Pettis’ name since the former WEC champion beat Joe Lauzon in February. Since then “Showtime” has been sidelined with a shoulder injury, opting to focus on recovering fully rather than rush back to the ring. However, Pettis received a bit of attention last week when fellow lightweight Donald Cerrone called him out in relation to having turned down a match-up scheduled for UFC 150.
Rather than let the perception of Pettis as a coward linger any longer than necessary, the 25-year old’s manager – Mike Roberts – has since spoken out on his behalf to elaborate on the situation with Cerrone.
“He’s definitely not running from ‘Cowboy.’ Anthony is running for whoever has got the belt, and unfortunately for ‘Cowboy,’ it’s never been him,” said Roberts in an interview with MMAJunkie. “But having said that, if ‘Cowboy’ wins his fight, and Joe Silva tells us beating him is going to get us a title shot, Anthony would gladly accept that fight.”
Cerrone is scheduled to fight Melvin Guillard next Saturday night at UFC 150.
Roberts also admitted Pettis turned down a tilt with Cerrone but only for health-related reasons, as he is not expected to be 100% again until November.
PHOTO CREDIT – UFC