twitter google

Junior dos Santos aiming to face Alistair Overeem in the Octagon, not Cain Velasquez

For months all signs have indicated Cain Velasquez would serve as the UFC’s top heavyweight contender and take on champion Junior dos Santos later this year. However, it appears a new plan is in place at the urging of “Cigano” who now wants to face Alistair Overeem instead based on a series of public challenges from the decorated Dutchman.

According to UFC President Dana White, he met with Dos Santos over the weekend to discuss his future plans when the title-holder dropped the news on him.

“He said, ‘I have nothing but respect for Cain Velasquez. I like him as a person and as a fighter and I think he deserves a shot at the title but I do not want to fight him.’ Which is not what he said a month ago,” explained White to media after UFC on FOX 4 (caught on video by MMAFighting). “He said, ‘Alistair Overeem is a punk. He’s got a big mouth and he’s been saying lots of bad things about me and I want to knock him out. I want to knock him out now.’”

Overeem is currently unable to apply for a license in Nevada after a random drug test earlier this year revealed an enormously elevated T:E level later found to be the result of testosterone use. “The Demolition Man” was forced to pull out of a title-fight with Dos Santos as a result and currently cannot be licensed until December 27.

The 32-year old Overeem has been attempting to whittle the sentence down ever since by submitting monthly samples for testing.

Interestingly enough, Lorenzo Fertitta also came forward over the weekend in a conversation with to reveal the UFC has Dos Santos tentatively scheduled for a scrap on December 29, adding on the possibility of Overeem as his adversary, “The best case scenario is he’s licensed in enough time to put him on the December card. We can’t commit to that because we don’t know what the commission will do.”