Cain Velasquez not willing to let Alistair Overeem cut him in contendership line

Eyes were opened over the weekend when UFC heavyweight champ Junior dos Santos expressed his interest in silencing smack-talking challenger Alistair Overeem rather than facing the man who was named as top contender a few months back, Cain Velasquez. Among the peepers popped open by Dos Santos’ change of heart were those belonging to Velasquez, a former title-holder who earned his shot at “Cigano” by knocking out Antonio Silva at UFC 146.

Needless to say, Velasquez was far from pleased with the idea of being bypassed for the crack at divisional gold as he made clear this week on The MMA Hour.

“I’m in line next for a title. For Junior, I have the most respect for him as well as a person and as a fighter. I think he represents the sport very well. But as a champion, if you have a number one contender, then you don’t normally get to choose who you fight,” explained the oft reserved Velasquez.

“Dos Santos is not ducking me. He’s a great competitor. He’s a great fighter,” Velasquez continued respectfully. “I just think him and Overeem and him had some words spoken back and forth to each other and he wants to fight him. He really wants to fight him first, wants to beat him. But you gotta get through me first.”

Overeem has openly questioned Dos Santos’ desire to face him while he himself is sidelined for matters related to testosterone use. He is currently unable to receive a license to fight in Nevada until December 27 though the UFC is planning it’s annual New Year’s Eve Weekend event for December 29 with officials already pointing to JDS competing on the card.

Meanwhile, Velasquez appears left in a lurch while circumstances out of his control unfold around him. If Dos Santos is truly off the table due to a tilt with Overeem, other logical options for Velasquez could be Fabricio Werdum or even the winner of the September scrap between Stefan Struve-Stipe Miocic.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

Yes, because defeating Bigfoot Silva should earn you an immediate rematch after a one-sided KO.

If JDS didn’t knock him out in seconds, I might understand where he was coming from.

JDS wants to beat the shit out of Reem and that stirs interest of both the fans and the promotion much more then a former champ looking to get his belt back from the guy who knocked him out in under a min.

• Angry Mike says:

Screw ‘Reem. I know he’s big, powerful, etc., but everybody knows how and why.

• AlphaOmega says:

Cuz of Horsemeat right?

• Richard Stabone says:

Cain lost to JDS and Reem earned himself a PED-related suspension, so there’s a knock against each guy getting the next shot. I want to see Reem fight both these guys, so whatever order of events gives the best chance of that happening is fine by me.

Hopefully all 3 are on the 12/29 card, with the odd man out facing Werdum. I don’t think Werdum is on the same level with the other 3 but he deserves to be in the mix and fight for the next #1 contender spot.

• THEGUNNER says:

I like that idea rich. I say let cain get the rematch and reem can fight jds after either way.if jds loses he fights reem if jds wins reem gets the title shot.

• I say let Reem have the shot, unless paperwork has been signed, Cain can only vocalize what he wants, not make demands. That’s harsh but I’d rather see two elite strikers that have never faced each other do battle, rather than see a rematch with a guy who got Ko’d in 111 seconds, or something like that.
    Dont get me wrong, Cain is the one with the best claim to his title shot as HW is kind of the “Junior dos Santos whooped my ass” club, with the exception of the young up and comers out there, but he’s a member of aforementioned club and I dont believe one win should get you a title fight regardless of how thin the division is.
    That being said, I hope Alistair comes in and gets his head knocked off in thirty seconds. The guy is exciting as they come and well rounded to boot, but from holding up The Strikeforce title for two years to failing a drug screening weeks before a fight, this guy is a cheater, a bad ambassador for the sport and an inconsiderate jerk.

• Big Stank says:

Too bad Cain doesn’t make the decisions. Dana will go with what he thinks will make him the most $$$$

• Lord Faust says:

PEDs or not Reem is fresh blood. How many more rematches do we want this year?

There is currently no fight scheduled, so Cain is entitled to his opinion — and I don’t blame him for trying to remind people he’s still in the mix — but something tells me he knows which way the wind is blowing.

Reem either has an ace in the hole, or he’s trying to change reality via pure persistence. He’s been doing everything possible to kiss the NSAC’s ass, presumably to get licensed in time for a December fight. (The commission, in their final comments to Reem before handing down the suspension made specific mention of the suspension’s affects on his ability to earn an income — I find it interesting that they cut his suspension down to make JUST enough room for a year-end fight.)

Maybe I’m all wrong, but where there’s smoke there’s fire.

• Richard Stabone says:

Hope you’re right, Faust. Then we get the matchup that was teased to us for the memorial day card. Reem’s more powerful & diverse striking vs. JDS’ superior technical boxing. It would be damn fun to watch.

But if they just can’t work out the Reem licensing stuff in time to feel confident enough to again risk booking him for a main event of a huge PPV card, then I am all for seein Cain get another shot. That first fight was lame. Both guys hurt. Cain coming off shoulder surgery & a year layoff, along with the separate knee injury that required a cortisone shot, weighing 10 pounds heavier than normal. I just need to see those guys go at it again at some point.

• Lord Faust says:

I would not be against Cain getting the shot, which may have been hard to gather from my initial comments. Personally, I still think Reem is ahead of him but that’s just my own take.

And yes, I would love to see these guys put on a high level MMA striking match. Both Reem and JDS are as smart as they are skilled; I think we’d be in for the best heavyweight tilt in ages.

Regardless, I am surprised that nothing has been said officially yet. Dana’s flip-flopped on Overeem so many times I legitimately lost count.

• Richard Stabone says:

Overeem does strike me as a pretty smart dude. Not ivy league type intelligence but Articulate responses that he comes up with on the fly & make a lot of sense. Maybe the horse meat aids more than biceps & pecs.

• Lord Faust says:

His documentary was very interesting. Apparently he’s a big reader, which is awesome — though he lost some points for liking Twilight.

I find, on average, MMA guys shock me with their overall intelligence and educational credentials.

I’m not too surprised about mma fighters being well spoken or show signs of intellect…I mean most fighters are college educated to some degree… alot are former college athletes, you gotta maintain a passing avg. to compete in school sports.

• Lord Faust says:

True Rece, but guys like Chuck have their Masters (pretty sure Chuck’s is a major in Business and / or Accounting)… That’s hard work, and a lot more than is expected of an athlete in school. Hell, that’s more education than I have, and I’m an IT guy!