Mirko Filipovic mentions interest in returning to MMA

There was a time when heavyweight Mirko Filipovic was among the Top 3 fighters in the division and one of the most feared adversaries in the MMA. However, time eventually caught up to “Cro Cop” and the 37-year old Croatian decided to walk away from the sport after losing three straight in the UFC with all of the defeats involving a strike-based stoppage.

Now, after finding success in a few kickboxing matches and taking care of some injuries, it looks like Filipovic is tempted to give MMA another go even if it doesn’t mean another opportunity inside the Octagon.

“If you ask me, when I look deep into my soul, of course I would like to fight MMA again. People don’t get it. Martial arts is my life,” said Filipovic in an interview with USA Today. “Even as recently as this week I was sparring kickboxing, and it was so difficult not to throw them on the ground and look to ground and pound. Even while I’m preparing for the K-1 Grand Prix, I’m training on the ground with grappling several times each week.”

The 27-10-2 Filipovic is currently a member of the sixteen-man field competing in the renowned kickboxing organization’s 2012 tournament.

“My motivation now is to prove to everyone that I’m still capable of being in the cage. I’m not old. I’m 37, but I can do things that fighters ten years younger cannot,” Filipovic added. “I will prove that, or I will die trying.”

Filipovic’s last MMA bout came in October 2011. 24 of his 27 total wins have involved some form of finish including twenty by knockout. Among the notable opponents he’s beaten are the likes of Wanderlei Silva and Josh Barnett.

PHOTO CREDIT – FEG

• AlphaOmega says:

I’d love to see Cro Cop come back and be immortal again, but I don’t think he can. He has success in K-1 so it’d probably be best to stay there.

• AlphaOmega says:

Also, I wonder if he could cut to LHW and have success there instead of HW?

He can still fight in MMA, i just don’t think he should be doing it at an elite level… go out like Fedor did taking Fights that were not too dangerous and still somewhat marketable… BUT Zuffa isn’t the place for him to do that.

• darth_irritable says:

Agreed. But how awesome would it be to see him get one final run as the killing machine he was.

• It wouldnt, because he’s not going to be fighting anyone worth mentioning. I dont want to see him finish his career by KOing cans, I want to see him be a terror to top guys, or just retire.

Gotta pay them bills….

• Lord Faust says:

I’d love to see the Cro Cop who won the GP finally show up in the octagon.

I don’t know how feasible that is, though. Cro Cop’s style worked best with two major factors: a ring, which makes it possible to cut off your opponents and walk them down, and his out-right intimidation factor — something that can’t be regained without bodying some top-level guys in brutal fashion. From my vantage point, it seems like a catch-22.