Nevada Athletic Commission not looking to license Alistair Overeem early

Nevada Athletic Commission executive officer Keith Kizer has put a stake through the heart of talk surrounding heavyweight Alistair Overeem returning to the Octagon sooner than he is currently eligible for, implying “The Demolition Man” will likely not be available to face UFC champion Junior dos Santos on December 29 as had been rumored.

Kizer’s statements came in an interview with MMAFighting where he said, “Even if the commission had some discretion to grant some waiver of time, I personally don’t see this as the case. I’d be against that. There is some discretion at the commission level, but I don’t think this is the case to use that discretion.”

“This is not just a guy who engaged in cheating, but a guy who ran out the front door when the testing was being done,” he added, alluding to Overeem allegedly exiting the premises last March after learning a random drug test was in line for a group of heavyweights promoting an upcoming event.

The screening ultimately found an elevated T:E ratio in Overeem’s system that was later linked to testosterone use. Since then Overeem has been undergoing random drug tests in hopes of receiving a license – even one with conditions – before December 27 when the punishment runs out.

Overeem went on MMA Uncensored last week where he stated he was scheduled to meet with the NAC later this month to discuss the possibility, a claim Kizer denied to be true, saying, “That must be wishful thinking. He will not be on the agenda.”

With Overeem officially out of the picture it seems Cain Velasquez is instead destined to dance again with Dos Santos at the UFC’s year-end event.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC/K-1

5 COMMENTS
  • Lord Faust says:

    Although it does not bode well for The Reem based on these comments, from what I understand Kizer is not involved in these decisions. The actual commission members will decide whether or not Reem gets a spot on the agenda, and whatever decision will be made at that time.

    If this pans out, Alistair ought to drop by Ceasar’s and give Nick Diaz some legal advice.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Richard Stabone says:

    Sounding more & more like the UFC won’t be able/willing to go out on a limb in booking Reem for a fight on a 2012 card, let alone the main event of one of the biggest events of the year.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Dufresne says:

    I don’t know why he thinks he can get early clearance for “good behavior”. Congratulations for not continuing to break the rules?

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • AlphaOmega says:

    Since Dana announced yesterday that they confirmed JDS vs Cain @ for Nov, looks like its a done deal of Overeem not getting licensed early

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • Rece Rock says:

    This guy is a trip… I guess he was the kid growing up that always was in some shit but always came out of it unscathed.

    Reem would be better suited to fall back maintain radio silence… his constant over exposure during times of controversy is going to work against him eventually.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Follow 5OZ