UFC 150 Results: Benson Henderson holds on to belt with hard-fought decision over Frankie Edgar

For the third consecutive time the UFC lightweight title was be defended in a rematch featuring feisty Frankie Edgar. However, this time around Edgar was be out to procure gold rather than put it on the line with Benson Henderson playing the role of champion after outpointing “The Answer” in February.

The two served as the headliner tonight at UFC 150 with other notable pairings on the card including Donald Cerrone-Melvin Guillard and Jake Shields-Ed Herman.

In the title-fight the two talented 155ers turned in performances not unlike their original encounter at UFC 144 though this time around Edgar landed a staggering strike in the second stanza. Beyond that the bout also went five rounds with each man looking sharp. In the end, the Henderson did just enough to retain his title due to his precision, power, and pace.

Cerrone and Guillard turned in an exciting opening round featuring “Cowboy” getting clocked early only to answer with a high kick stumbling Guillard and opening the door for a first frame knockout. On the other end of the entertainment spectrum, Shields and Herman plodded their way through fifteen minutes featuring a good deal of grappling without any real aggression. In the end Shields earned the judges’ favor, picking up his first win as a UFC middleweight.

Read below for a breakdown of UFC 150 winners/losers:

Nik Lentz def. Eiji Mitsuoka via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)
Chico Camus def. Dustin Pague via Unanimous Decision
Erik Perez def. Ken Stone via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)
Michael Kuiper def. Jared Hamman via Knockout Round 2 (Strikes)
Dennis Bermudez def. Tommy Hayden via Submission Round 1 (Guillotine Choke)
Max Holloway def. Justin Lawrence via TKO Round 2 (Strikes)
Yushin Okami def. Buddy Roberts via TKO Round 2 (Strikes)
Jake Shields def. Ed Herman via Unanimous Decision
Donald Cerrone def. Melvin Guillard via Knockout Round 1 (Strikes)
Benson Henderson def. Frankie Edgar via Split Decision

• THEGUNNER says:

Not ordering this one it would be nice to read a play by play on the co & main event. I got melvyn a benson taking wins 2 night.

• Lord Faust says:

Main card picks: Henderson, Cerrone, Shields, Okami, Holloway.

Facebook fights are already going, and Nick Lentz looked really good. I expected him to win, but he exceeded all expectations. I can’t wait to see him fight again.

• AlphaOmega says:

Justin Lawrence
    Yushin Okami
    Jake Shields
    Donald Cerrone
    Benson Henderson

• Creature says:

@GUNNER just watch a stream, thats what i do when im not buying a PPV

Lawrence

Okami

Shields (I give Ed a decent chance of pulling this out but I gotta go with the safer pick)

Guillard

Frankie

• Richard Stabone says:

Hmmm…maybe a tad early but those are tough split-second decisions. Can’t blame Herb for retiring on the side of protecting a fighter in that one.

• Richard Stabone says:

Erring, not retiring…stupid auto correction

• Lord Faust says:

Stone woke up because he face-planted into the canvas. Herb did right.

• Lord Faust says:

Liver shot finish. I’m guaranteed to be happy no matter how tonight ends.

• THEGUNNER says:

How does that stream work?

• Richard Stabone says:

Anybody else remember the original Buddy Roberts?

Do it for U S of A, buddy!

Hello all

• Lord Faust says:

Buddy “I’m not your friend, guy” Roberts just gave up… Okami also looked terrified on the feet.

• Richard Stabone says:

Ed was way too content to clinch. Sort of reminds me of BJ coming out and taking down Fitch when they fought, as a surprise tactic to try to beat him at his own game, but not a good strategy against Shields.

Not a horrible fight by Shields standards.

• Richard Stabone says:

Meaning, yeah it was a grind feat but not Shield’s most boring fight.

Fest

• Richard Stabone says:

Onto the good stuff… should be two badass fights.

• Richard Stabone says:

Melvin missed weight bad…wtf?? Injury?

• Richard Stabone says:

As Melvin ever missed weight in his career?

• Lord Faust says:

HOLY SHIT WHAT A KNOCKOUT.

• Richard Stabone says:

Hahaha omg…well that was typical Melvin. Fast start, faster loss.

• Richard Stabone says:

And yes…I’m done picking Melvin. He has an amazing ability to hurt his opponents as much as possible without beating them.

Double down on Frankie.

• AlphaOmega says:

@JacksonsMMA: Sorry for being a boring team everyone…. #teamjacksons

In case anyone doesn’t follow them

• Richard Stabone says:

Nice… thanks for sharing AO. I’m surprised they bother to respond. That camp’s success speaks for itself.

• THEGUNNER says:

How did melvyn get ko ed

• Richard Stabone says:

One round apiece…Frankie warming up.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’m not watching the fights gunner, but according to twitter it was a headkick into a combo that put him down

• Richard Stabone says:

Round 4 Frankie. Somebody finish somebody.

• Richard Stabone says:

I got Frankie but it was closer than I expected.

Eesh

Rd 1 Bendo
    Rd 2 Frankie
    Rd 3 draw
    Rd 4 Frankie
    Rd 5 Frankie

• Dufresne says:

I personally thought Edgar won that fight. It was a pretty close fight, but while Henderson appeared to be more aggressive I thought Edgar landed the more damaging shots and held more dominant positions. Oh well, at least now the logjam that is the LW division can get moving again.

• Richard Stabone says:

For those who didn’t see the fight, Melvin dropped Donald early on but couldn’t seal the deal. Cowboy clipped him with a head kick… didn’t look too bad but Melvin was noodle legged & cowboy walked in and landed an unguarded right hand that laid Melvin out.

Rogan ask cowboy afterwords when he recovered from the shot Melvin landed and his response was ‘right now’.

• Richard Stabone says:

Agreed dufresne. I disagree with the decision but it guarantees no more rematches. And I’d still love to see Frankie fight Aldo.

• Lord Faust says:

I knew the main event would end in a contentious decision. Hahaha.

5-0 for the night. Bring on Diaz.

• Richard Stabone says:

Congrats on the clean sweep, Faust.

Glad I wasn’t in Vegas for this card…I would have gotten cleaned out.

• Richard Stabone says:

As for Diaz, my initial thought is Bendo controls him the way stronger wrestlers typically have. But we’ll find out.

• Richard Stabone says:

Frankie vs. Diaz would have been a fun striking match but I guess it wasn’t meant to be.

• Lord Faust says:

I would love to see Diaz -vs- Frankie at some point.

• Richard Stabone says:

Nate Diaz’s last 5 losses: Rory, Stun Gun, Maynard, Joe Daddy, Guida.

What do these 5 have in common?

We’ll see if Nate has grown/improved to be able to overcome his achilles heel.

• MCM says:

I thought Bendo won that one….but just barley. I missed all but the last three on the main card so I’m glad they showed some of the prelims. And yes, it was a stream.

@Richard Stabone
    I want to agree with you about Diaz getting controlled, but he’s looked a shit ton better since his first run at LW. Jim Miller is one of the best wrestlers in the division and Diaz took him out with relative ease. I hate the Diaz’s but if Bendo fights like he did tonight, I’ve got no choice but to pick Nate Diaz for the win.

• Richard Stabone says:

Diaz vs. Frankie would be fun but perhaps even better will be Frankie vs. Aldo. No shame in dropping down; I hope he realizes that.

• Richard Stabone says:

@MCM – I think it’s obvious Nate has improved. But the length of Miller vs. Bendo is night & day.

• Richard Stabone says:

About a year ago Nate got tossed back & forth around the Octagon by Rory. Now, is Bendo on par with Rory? Probably not, but Nate has a similarly unfavorable matchup in my opinion.

• MCM says:

“the length”?
    I don’t know what you mean by that. Miller is only one inch shorter than Bendo, but actually has the reach advantage by one inch.

Look, I’m not trying to hype up Nate Diaz. I’m not only a member of the Diaz Haters club, but I sit on the board. I’ve also been saying Ben Henderson was one of the best LW’s in world since before he tasted WEC gold. But objectively speaking, I’d be lying if I said that Ben looked anything but beatable tonight. If he fights that way against Diaz, I don’t see how he pulls off the win.

• Richard Stabone says:

And re: Miller & Bendo, not just their actual length (and I’m not talking about their male apparatus) but the way they fight… Miller crouched in a ‘fighter’s stance’ while Bendo stretches out with those tree trunk legs, somewhat similar to Lyoto.

I think Nate’s got his hands full, and Bendo keeps on rolling at LW, but this is obviously early speculation and we’ll have to wait to see what happens.

• MCM says:

“…….this is obviously early speculation and we’ll have to wait to see what happens.”

true dat.

• Richard Stabone says:

I’ll close the night with this brilliant thought… if Nate manages to choke out–or otherwise submit Bendo–I’ll shite in my shorts.

• Richard Stabone says:

Oops…didn’t quite finish off that brilliant thought.

I’m basically saying I don’t think Nate will finish/sub Bendo. And in Nate’s last 10 fights he has one victory by decision. Meaning, if Nate is gonna beat Bendo it’s going to take a heroic effort, given his track record.

Then again, I thought Frankie would beat Benson tonight so what do I know?

• Missed the fights but they sounded great. How bout Frankie vs Miller or pettis next?

• JBAR says:

I had Frankie winning 48-47. I gave the third round to Bendo because he is the champ and I had that round even. The biggest difference to me was the way Frankie was slipping punches and landing to the body. That to me counts just as much as leg kicks. I don’t think fighters get enough credit for body work.

• I truly think Ben is a tough match for Nate, his takedown, insane pace and rangy style of striking are all things Nate has never dealt with at 155. However, Nate’s volume punching, slick subs and newly found TDD at LW seem to be something Ben might have an issue with.

LW has now been blown wide open and whether Frankie drops down or sticks around I have a feeling we’ll see a rubber match down the road despite who may have the title at the moment.
    Remember, Nate’s losses to Maynard and Guida were both close split decisions before he made that trip to 170 Dong was and ultra competitive fight where Nate almost got a TKO late in the 3rd and while Rory just smashed him from pillar to post Nate never quit fighting him nor did he even look stunned from being repeatedly slammed on the back of his neck. I truly think that going up and coming back down has really shown him how much stronger he is than alot of guys at a lighter weight class and given him a lot of confidence in the fact that a huge WW in Macdonald or Dong couldnt finish him.

I could praise Ben just as much or more but no need. The guy’s a champ for a reason and Ive been talkin about how awesome he is enough lately. Im stoked the logjam is over(for now) and Im really excited for this fight. Should be a great match up of different but equally exciting styles.

• elsicilian says:

Frankie Edgar does this to just about everyone … he sticks, he moves, he looks pretty good, he engages. But ultimately, even though his fights aren’t boring in and of themselves, he does just enough to win or lose a close decision (I had Bendo 50-48 btw, but the folks I watched it with all favored Edgar in the decision). I don’t know if that’s his game plan, or if he lacks the power to finish guys at 155, or what, but it’s happened enough times now that I am beyond blaming the other fighter when yet another matchup ends this way.

Don’t let the door hit you on the way to 145 Frankie … I will eagerly await your fight with Jose Aldo.

• AlphaOmega says:

So he didn’t ko maynard in their third fight?

• elsicilian says:

@AlphaOmega … sure, after sticking/moving with Gray Maynard for twelve rounds over three separate fights, he finally finished him. But obviously that’s the exception, not the rule. Since he entered the UFC, 10 of his 13 fights have gone the distance, and most of them have been close decisions. He’s not a totally boring fighter like John Fitch, but for whatever reason, he’s clearly unwilling/unable to finish fights with any sort of regularity.

Maybe he’s too small at 155 to possess true knockout power, or perhaps his fight strategy emphasizes caution over completion. I don’t really care enough to analyze it, and the results speak for themselves. I am frankly tired of watching him eke out close victories – or lose close decisions then whine about how he did enough to win – and I am glad we won’t have to see his face around a LW title fight in the foreseeable future.

“Don’t leave it in the hands of the judges” has become a cliche in MMA, but Edgar would do well to take that advice to heart as he tries to figure out what’s next.

• Richard Stabone says:

No reason to single out Frankie when the champ is 5-for-5 in reaching the judges’ score cards since joining the UFC.

These guys are fighting tough dudes to finish. Frankie’s last 6 fights are against Penn, Maynard & Bendo. Nobody finishes those guys. The fact Frankie KO’d Maynard was/is incredibly impressive.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Unrelated to the discussion but I just wanted to let everyone know I’m trying to figure out why certain articles have comments closed on them when they shouldn’t be. Nothing intentional on that front.

• AlphaOmega says:

I think not seeing Frankies face around a LW title fight in the foreseeable future might be stretching it, since it was a close fight I can completely see them giving Frankie another shot once he wins a fight

• elsicilian says:

@Richard – that’s a fair point, and if Henderson runs off a few more close decisions as champ, I will probably start saying the same thing about him (I think the same point can be fairly made with respect to GSP also). The truth is, I expect more from the champs, and I really want to see decisive victories in those championship fights.

If *any* champ is consistently unable to finish his opponents, he is diminished a bit in stature next to guys like Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, JDS, Jose Aldo, etc. Those guys also face the toughest opponents, but they still manage to finish the fights more often than not.

Anyway, I am pretty confident we won’t see Edgar in a LW title fight any time soon. He has just lost two straight championship fights (against the same guy), so he goes to the back of a long line of guys who have been waiting around for a long time for a title shot.