Benson Henderson: “I knew I had to win the fifth.”

UFC lightweight champ Benson Henderson may not have appeared to be extremely confident in his performance while awaiting the call from Bruce Buffer Saturday night. However, once it was read that Henderson has successfully defended his title against Frankie Edgar at UFC 150, “Smooth” made sure to let everyone know he felt like the win was in the bag – well, as much in the bag as any Split Decision can be.

“I thought I was ahead, at worst it was even (going into the fifth round),” said Henderson during the post-fight press conference. “I knew I had to win the fifth.”

While proud of his performance, Henderson also knows the best way to assure future victories is to finish fights.

“You can’t leave it in the hands of the judges,” admitted Henderson. “We’ve seen some suspect judges’ decisions and you never know. Our fight was close, I just knew I had to get after it that fifth round.”

Henderson will now be paired with Nate Diaz for his second title defense. A date is unknown for the expected championship affair though it has been rumored as the potential headliner for UFC on FOX 5 in December.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• moosebaby02 says:

that belt should be in Jersey right now partying it up instead its hangging in Zona getting ready to head to Stockton

• Screenplaya says:

Yeah, let’s not waste our time debating this outcome. It was a close fight, and the champion won, and I see no reason to bitch about it when that happens. You want the belt, you gotta go get it.

But, it is going to be Nate’s in a few months anyway, and that was going to be case no matter who got this decision this week.

• hindsightufuk says:

nah i’m not done bitching about it. if it had been a good competitive fight i would just accept it but it was two guys too afraid to take chances.

we’ve also seen some suspect fighters not willing to put it on the line and try and out point people for a decision. Benson didnt get after it in the fifth round; flicking out his range finding double jab and doing very little else does not constitute getting after it.

i agree with Moose, belt should be in Jersey, instead its probably holed up in a church somewhere…

I don’t think Nate is just going to walk right through Bendo…

• Dachman says:

Diaz is going to get bullied around the ring when they fight. Honestly I don’t think it will be close. I say TKO round 2.

• hindsightufuk says:

what could cause problems for Nate is the leg kicks, those early low leg kicks from Henderson against Frankie were nice, i can see Nate taking too many of those early on.
    Benson does have a tendencey to stick his neck out at times though, and i’m pretty sure Nate wont just hang on to him and try and ride out some points like Frankie did

• Richard Stabone says:

Bendo vs. Nate

Pettis vs. Cerrone

Maynard vs. Eddie Alvarez

• Rich S. says:

It’ll go one of two ways all Diaz (both Nate and Nick) fights go. Either Nate overwhelms him with striking and/or submits him, or he’s outwrestled and loses a decision.

Bendo has some of the best submission defense I’ve ever seen. Well, that’s not the best way to put it. Some of the best submission resistance I’ve ever seen, because he’s not exactly good at preventing or defending a submission, he’d just rather die than tap. And he must be awfully double-jointed because I’ve seen him pull out of some nasty armbars.

Nate’s striking will no doubt force the takedown – I don’t think Bendo will want anything to do with Nate’s pressure. It’ll all depend on what Nate can do when he’s on his back.