Frankie Edgar upset about scoring in UFC 150 title-bout but not dwelling on defeat

UFC lightweight Frankie Edgar has always been known as one of the organization’s more respectful, soft-spoken competitors. However, based on his immediate reaction last night at UFC 150 after scores were read in his title-fight with Benson Henderson it was clear “The Answer” was left heated based on his belief he’d done enough to earn the decision win.

Edgar was not alone in his anger either, as numerous fans, members of the media, and his MMA peers also felt the former champion deserved to bring the belt back to New Jersey given his output against Henderson. Still, as controversial as the judges’ ruling might have been, it looks like Edgar has already started moving on from the disappointing result.

“I did think I did enough. I felt I pushed the pace. I felt I brought the fight to him. Yet here we are,” said Edgar at the post-event press conference. “It don’t really matter what I think at this point. I could be pissed off but you’ve still got the decision, it’s never gonna change…it is what it is.”

The defeat to Henderson marked the first losing streak of Edgar’s career as his second consecutive stumble inside the Octagon. That being said, it appears Edgar was not necessarily discouraged by the Split Decision and will be sticking with 155 pounds for the immediate future rather than dipping down to featherweight.

Check out highlights from the post-show presser below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• darth_irritable says:

Not trying to be a dick, cause I love Frankie, but there’s a reason they say you got to knock the champ out.

I say two more fights, then a rematch. That should shake out the top end nicely. Frankie’s a legit danger any day of the week, and twice on Saturday. Maybe not to knock you out, but to win a battle of attrition, hell yes.

• hindsightufuk says:

i thought Benson won the first fight hands down and they didnt need a rematch. that said i think Benson did absolutely fuck all in this fight after the first round, he was still throwing that range finding double jab in the fifth. Seemed to me he was unsuccesfully trying to counter one of the quickest fighters at LW. i scored it for Frankie but to be honest i’m sick of scoring Frankie Edgar fights. i just hope that performance from Benson was a one off cos he just didnt seem willing to attack last night.
    very frustrating fight to watch, Frankie did what he does, darts in and out to score points, and Benson kept shadow boxing and fucking around with his hair.

Bendo said he knew he could push the pace but he just felt lethargic…?

I got love for Bendo but how are you feeling lethargic in a championship fight?… better fix that shit.

• elsicilian says:

Two words: Denver, Colorado.

• AlphaOmega says:

That could be, I wonder if he decided to ignore the elevated altitude in his training

• elsicilian says:

That would be a pretty big oversight on Henderson’s part, but even if he did train at altitude, you have to figure that any complaints of lethargy (or any obvious evidence of early exhaustion) have to be exacerbated by the thin air.

I realize it’s the site of the first UFC (and the fans in Denver are obviously supportive) but it seems kind of weird to stage championship events at 5,000 feet when cardiovascular performance is such an essential part of the sport, and the quality of the product can be so visibly diminished by the altitude.

• AlphaOmega says:

True, but if you can show up and look just as good at altitude as you can normally fighting, then it shows that not only as a champion, but as a fighter, you have the game under control at least in conditioning sense