Daniel Cormier wants UFC title-shot if he beats Frank Mir, open to fighting Jon Jones

Unbeaten Strikeforce heavyweight Daniel Cormier isn’t necessarily looking past his next opponent, Frank Mir, but he definitely has designs on laying claim to UFC gold if he gets by Mir when the two meet in a few months. Cormier recently won the Strikeforce Grand Prix, taking out respected veterans like Jeff Monson, Antonio Silva, and Josh Barnett along the way.

Now, with the match-up with Mir serving as his final fight under the Strikeforce banner before heading over to the UFC, Cormier has made it clear he wants a crack at UFC gold with one more impressive win on his resume.

“I’ve been chuggin along and if I get through this fight that’s three Top 10 guys in a row. I should be in line for a belt. I should get a shot at either of those divisions,” said the 10-0 Cormier in an interview with MMA Fight Corner, hinting at the possibility of dropping down to light heavyweight depending on how friend/teammate Cain Velasquez fairs against UFC champ Junior dos Santos later this year. “Let’s see what happens. A lot of things are going to be in play. If I come over to the UFC as the number one contender and Cain’s the heavyweight champion, then I have some things to think about. But if somebody else is holding that belt, then yea, I’m gonna stay up at heavyweight.”

Though Cormier may not have a crystal ball, the 5’11” fighter also expressed his interest in potentially being paired against UFC light heavyweight title-holder Jon Jones assuming things fall into place for such a scenario to unfold.

“Standing across the cage from that guy would be great for me. I’d love to do at some point in my career,” admitted Cormier. “Even if I am maybe the heavyweight champion and there’s a chance to make a super-fight, we could figure something out him and I, because I would not back down from that opportunity.”

No date has been set for Cormier’s clash with Mir. Velasquez-Dos Santos are expected to meet in late December, while Jones defends his title against Dan Henderson in two weeks at UFC 151.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Really DC?

DC 5’11” HT 71″ reach
    versus
    JJ 6’4″ HT 84.5″ reach

But I must say I’d watch it!

• Dachman says:

He KO’ed Silva who has a long reach. I would love to see him fight Jones!

• Angry Mike says:

If he moves over to the UFC, he should compete at 205. He is too short/small for heavyweight, imo. And before he got close to a title shot at heavyweight, they should throw him in with Cain Velazquez. That would be a fun fight.

• AlphaOmega says:

I could see them making him fight Overeem when he comes over to the UFC, Overeem should have his license by then I think.

• Richard Stabone says:

DC is another ‘tweener that would seemingly benefit if there was another division between LHW & HW. But since there isn’t (yet) a big enough pool of high end talent to capably fill two divisions above 205, DC should stick with HW and take his chances. Even if he didn’t have the previous kidney issues, I don’t want to see him try some Anthony Johnson type of weight cut in order to compete at LHW. That doesn’t bring out the best of the sport or the athlete.

• hindsightufuk says:

what weight does Daniel usually weight in at?

• Richard Stabone says:

Right around 240.

He could probably still make the cut all the way down to 205, which is near the mark he competed at in his most recent wrestling days, but I think it presents health concerns and I similar to a guy like Anthony Johnson putting your body thru hell just to be bigger than your opponent doesn’t necessarily turn out to be an advantage. There’s a point of diminishing returns, and with the huge gap between DC’s comfortable fight weight of ~240 and the LHW limit of 205, I think he’d reach that point and then some.