Jake Shields content with win over Ed Herman, predicts better performances in the future

When Jake Shields first signed with the UFC he was seen as a legitimate threat to Georges St-Pierre’s reign as welterweight champion. However, after struggling to find consistent success, Shields decided to return to middleweight where he held the Strikeforce title while claiming the toll of cutting down to 170 pounds had affected his output in the Octagon.

Last weekend Shields took to the infamous eight-sided structure as a 185-pounder at UFC 150 where he fought Ed Herman, yet the slick submission specialist did little to impress fans en route to a Unanimous Decision win.

Shields addressed his showing at the post-event press conference where he admitted he exited the bout with mixed emotions.

“I think Herman’s a tough, underrated guy. I was happy to beat him, but bummed I didn’t finish him of course,” said Shields, adding he still has a lot of work to do in terms of putting on enough muscle mass to compete as an elite middleweight.

As for what’s next, other than hitting the gym, Shields stated he wants to mix it up with one of the division’s best to prove he belongs.

“Hopefully I can fight someone who is a top contender and get my name back closer to the mix,” explained the 28-6-1 Shields.

The win was Shields’ second straight including a February decision over Yoshihiro Akiyama. In addition to Herman, Shields has beaten the likes of Jason Miller, Robbie Lawler, and Dan Henderson as a middleweight.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Screenplaya says:

There are many classifications of MMA skills, but the bottom three (for me) are:
    1) Those who are really good at only one thing…and don’t do it. Jorge Gurgel is about the only person in this class.
    2) Those who are only good at one thing. There are few people in this class these days.
    3) Wrestlers who are garbage at ground and pound. Shields and, to a lesser extent, Sonnen are in this category.

Shields only “beat” Herman because Herman was happy to clinch, making takedowns (followed by ineffectual ground and pound) all too easy. If Shields and Sonnen ever fight, the PPV will be called “Watching Paint Dry: Shields vs Sonnen.” Fortunately, Sonnen would sell the hell out of that fight. He would have us all believing that Shields is mentally handicapped.

• hindsightufuk says:

i found it interesting that Joe Rogan told us during the fight that Ed Herman had never faced a guy with BJJ like Jake Shields before.

i ithnk Shields is an awesome fighter to be able to compete at the highest level with 0 striking abilities. he’s a throw back to the 90’s in a way

• JBAR says:

The only problem I have with Jake is that he has been at this a long time and his striking is just plain terrible. When you know what your weakness is you work on it and improve your overall game. GSP was a striker with no ground game when he started and now his ground game is pretty good but he has excellent takedown defense. Frankie Edgar was basically a wrestler when he started and each time I watch him fight I see improvement in his strilking game. If Jake has put in the same kind of effort over the years as these guys did to improve his striking he has got to be the worst striker in the history of mankind.

• AlphaOmega says:

I think he has been working on his striking, look at the gsp fight, he struck the whole time, and he’s been training at the Pit a lot lately, almost more then at Gracies. I think the problem is he’s just one of those people who just aren’t good at one skill, he might eventually become technical in it, but I don’t think he’ll ever have knock out power, or look fluid. I like Shields a lot, he’s my second favorite fighter, I think he needs to work on his striking just so his takedowns aren’t so telegraphed, or he doesn’t need to try and pull guard.

• JBAR says:

In all fairness Alpha, in the GSP fight he got struck the whole fight because he could not get the fight to the ground. It is not like he chose to fight standing. Don’t get me wrong, I like Jake as well, I just wish he could add an average level striking game to his skill set.

• AlphaOmega says:

Ya the GSP fight he had a bad game plan of trying to clinch and then pull guard, that would never work with GSP

• stone says:

UFC needs to cut this dude…. His fights are borring as all hell

• AlphaOmega says:

So they should cut Shields but not fitch? That makes total sense..