Jon Jones labels Dan Henderson as a “one trick pony”

In preparing for an opponent a fighter has to consider all of the threats posed by his/her adversary. However, when it comes to UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones’ upcoming title-defense against Dan Henderson it appears as though the 25-year old didn’t have to hit the books too hard based on the seasoned veteran’s singular attack.

“Dan Henderson’s a winner, an animal, a beast…but it’s no secret that Dan Henderson is a one-trick pony. He just has that power. Uppercut, overhand…when he touches people they go down,” said Jones in an interview with the UFC. “My objective is to not get hit at all.”

“When you put Dan Henderson against a guy who can wrestle against him, you’ve gotta throw his wrestling out the window,” he added.

While Jones plans on defusing Henderson’s trademark “H-Bomb” and any other similar strikes, the 16-1 champion believes he can inflict the sort of damage on “Hendo” he’s attempting to avoid himself.

Jones-Henderson will meet in a little more than two weeks as the headlining tilt at UFC 151.

Check out the interview with Jones below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• moosebaby02 says:

HMMMM
    funny thats how I was seeing it

• “I feel very confident that I’m gonna be the first guy to TKO him,” explained Jones “Slowly, methodically, hitting one hit at a time until he decides his body is hurting and he wants the fight to be over. Nature will take its course.”

Moments like this make me feel Jones is bit by bit buying into his hype, which considering the results of his fighting life, he has the right to do.
    However, this makes me think a little less of Jones, He’s fighting one of(and debatebly THE) best fighters of all time, who may not be the most diverse fighter in the game, but not alot of people are able to shut down his “predictable” game.
    No one has the heart, chin, will or tenacity of Old Man Dan, and only a few other people at 205 have his power. I hope Jones just gets a little too cute with his striking and wakes up just in time to hear, “aaaaaaaaannnnd NEW UFC Light heavyweight champion of the world…..”

Well-Done. Thumb up 11 Thumb down 1

• Richard Stabone says:

Dan either cements his status as greatest American MMA fighter…or passes the torch to Jon Jones.

I’m pretty darn confident it’ll be the latter, but I hope it’s a great fight and one guys finds a way to finish the other. Rest of the card appears very underwhelming so this one’s gotta deliver.

• darth_irritable says:

I really wanted to refute this, but I looked at Hendo’s record and….

That said – I hope the H-Bomb lands hard.

• Dufresne says:

So Olympic level wrestling, power in your left hand (ask Wandy), and power in your right adds up to a “one trick pony”? That’s at least three tricks right there Jonesy. I think that car wreck might have rung your bell a bit more than you thought.

Do I think Henderson will win? No. But will I count him out? Absolutely not. Hendo is a beast and he’s been on a hell of a roll lately. I don’t like his odds, but I might put a little money on him anyways.

• THEGUNNER says:

Im gunnin for hendo him vs michida would be nice.

• MCM says:

I’m not a huge fan of Hendo, but after listening to this turd speak, I wanna see him shut Jones’s lights off like he did Bisping. And throwing in the extra elbow at the end would seriously make me smile.

• Lord Faust says:

More and more I want to see Dan smash Jones back down to earth.

Yes, Jones looks like a world beater. I’d like to see how he handles an honest loss, then we can talk about true greatness.

And I’m also getting tired of Jones indecision over who he wants to be. Is he Mr. Humility, is he the next Muhammad Ali, or does he even know? The guy can’t even commit to trash talk of Twitter without deleting the evidence.