Dan Henderson invites Jon Jones to try and TKO him

In a recent interview, UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones expressed extreme confidence in his ability to stop challenger Dan Henderson with strikes despite his iconic adversary never having been TKO’d in the past. He also went on record to label “Hendo” as a “one trick pony” based on Henderson’s propensity for putting opponents away with his infamous “H-Bomb” rather than finding other ways to finish them.

Henderson had a chance to address Jones’ comments this week on UFC Tonight where he shrugged off both statements in typical laid-back fashion.

“Must be a pretty good trick. It’s kept me in the sport this long, especially if people keep wanting to see it,” responded Henderson on the subject of his reputation for knocking people out. “It doesn’t matter. People know what I do and I still seem to be able to do it.”

“As far as being TKO’d, I’d love for him to try. It means he’s coming after me and I don’t have to chase him as much,” he concluded.

The 41-year old veteran, who incidentally celebrates a birthday next week, also commented on entering the bout without having much of a chance in the eyes of a lot of fans and media members who see Jones’ victory as a foregone conclusion.

“I kinda love it. It’s great. I love being the underdog. I like being challenged. I feel like it’s a bigger challenge and I’m gonna step up and prove people wrong. It adds to the motivation, fuel to the fire,” explained the 29-8 Henderson.

Jones-Henderson will meet on September 1 in the main event at UFC 151.

The complete interview with Henderson can be found below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

A part of me wants to see Hendo beat Jones, it’d see if Jones can do it all over again, or if he was just riding the wave of success. I also want to see Machida fight and beat Hendo for the belt.

• Creature says:

#Believe In Hendo

• MCM says:

If Hendo does win, what would be the argument against calling him the greatest MMA fighter to ever live? And could we possibly see a rematch with Anderson Silva where Both belts would be on the line with the winner being the first UFC dual divisional champ?
    Doesn’t that sound much more exciting than having to listen to Jon Jones verbally stroke himself every time he’s on a microphone?

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 0

• king mah mah says:

Oh please Dan! Please knock this cocky asshole out!

• climbarock says:

The undercurrent of Jones hate is strong on this website. I don’t get it. Jones is a brilliant young fighter; he’s done things in the octagon we’ve never seen before, and I’ve enjoyed every single one of his fights. To hell with his uninteresting, feel-good-bromide-laden interviews and his alleged cockiness…I couldn’t give less of a shit.

Hendo has always had cardio issues in later rounds, and I expect Jones to TKO him in the championship rounds.

• Lord Faust says:

Jones’ persona is what gets the hate, I don’t think anyone here discounts the terror he is in the cage.

• Richard Stabone says:

Jones is poised to yank the torch from MMA legend Dan Henderson, solidifying himself as the greatest American MMA fighter of all time. At age 25.

He’s on the fast track to becoming what Michael Jordan was for the NBA and Barry Bonds for MLB. Plenty of people hated those cocky bastards when they were dominating their peers. For MJ & Barry it was part of what fueled them; Bones would do well to figure out how to process & embrace it in a similar manner. His biggest fault at this point might be that he’s too sensitive.

• Lord Faust says:

I liked Ali’s “greatest of all time” schtick because he really seemed fired up about it. Jones strikes me as someone who’s taken a lot of PR classes. He wants to say the right things and it’s just really obvious.

• darth_irritable says:

That’s a great answer. Rousey could learn from it.

I love this fight. I love Hendo, and think he’s got a great shot.

Best of all, either way, someone’s going out on their shield. Hopefully it’s a long gangly shield.

• darth_irritable says:

Also, Chael’s a funny guy.

#IbelieveinDanHenderson

Hendo needs to make JJ uncomfortable right off the bat and make JJ fight more reckless and then Hendo will have an opening to rock emm…I haven’t purchased a PPV since the Silva/Sonnen rematch I think I’ll spring for this one.

• joe mo mma says:

How do you not like Hendo, he’s such a badass. I would love to see Hendo get the win here, but I honestly don’t see that happening. I just hope it’s more than 3 rounds of action.

• JBAR says:

I am a Hendo fan and I am pulling for him in this one because he just does not have that many years left. I do not dislike Jones but I think a loss for him right now might be the best thing for him. He does come off pretty cocky right now, and who could blame him since he has not really been challenged. There is nothing like a humbling loss to get you focused and give you a renewed drive in your training, can you imagine how good he would be during the comeback if he was driven with a renewed hunger?

• AlphaOmega says:

I agree JBAR, that’s one of the reason’s I want to see him lose, not only will it breathe fresh life into the LHW division, but we’d get to see if Jones could make the push once again after falling, or if he crumbles

• JBAR says:

The best losses I have experienced in my life were the ones that brought me back to earth and gave me a renewed focus. I would tell my students that you really do not learn anything by whipping somebody, you learn by getting whipped.

• Lord Faust says:

Good advice, it applies to everything. Winning teaches you nothing, losing teaches you everything.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Jon Jones fights always bring out the best in MCM. The unbridled hate for Bones is so funny:

“Jones won’t be so cocky when Rampage knocks him oh wait.. Hmm”

“Machida has his number and is gonna take that belt ah crap..well”

“Rashad is better than Jones will ever be and he is gonna make him..umm uh”

Now it’s Hendo with the chance to make MCM look like the genius for picking him the whole time..just to scream “I TOLD YOU SO !!!”

Don’t see it happening ,but hope something can give you that satisfaction so you don’t feel the need to come back to forum hat in hand again.

A Hendo win does open up interesting matches, but still do not see Hendo outlasting the younger, more athletic Bones.

And btw just playin’ with ya MCM–no disrespect meant.

• MCM says:

Dude! I never picked Rampage or Machida. I still think Rashad has all the tools to beat Jones, but he didn’t do anything in that fight but looked scared and confused. And I’m on record as saying I don’t think Hendo wins this fight either, I’m just hoping he does. I’ve only come back to this forum hat in hand once. Once!

*grumbling while leaving thread*

It may be another case of mistaken identity MCM….
    ;)

• Lord Faust says:

I was one of the Machida guys. I still think he has the ability to do it, whether or not it happens is another story.