Michael Bisping: “Up until recently, no one had a clue who Chris Weidman was.”

UFC middleweight Michael Bisping has never been afraid to speak his mind even if his opinions aren’t often politically correct or popular with the masses. In that vein, “The Count” recently decided to give his thoughts on the contendership picture at 185 pounds where he aimed criticism at Chris Weidman’s right to a title-shot and lent support to champion Anderson Silva’s camp.

Weidman positioned himself for a potential title-shot with July stoppage of Mark Munoz, though Silva’s team has shrugged off the idea of a bout with the unbeaten up-and-comer based on his relative lack of name value. Apparently, Bisping agrees with their stance on the situation.

“I think the only contenders left that he hasn’t fought are myself and Chris Weidman. I think Chris Weidman, whilst being a fantastic fighter, all the rest of it still needs to generate a little more hype. You know, no one really knows who he is. So, he needs some more big wins,” said Bisping in an interview with MMA Fight Corner, explaining he’s also spoken to matchmaker Joe Silva who has hinted the TUF winner could leapfrog Weidman for the top spot with an impressive victory against Brian Stann at UFC 152.

“I’ve been there in the UFC now for six years, fighting the best the UFC’s had to offer and I’m still here. I’ve got a stellar record and I want to fight the champ. Obviously I got to earn that right, and that starts on September 22 Pay Per View against Brian Stann. I’m training as hard as I ever trained. I’ve got a fantastic camp going on. Other than that, I’m going to go out there to completely embarrass Brian Stann. I’m going to prove that I’m in a completely different league, beat the crap out of him and take my title shot,” bragged a confident Bisping.

Elaborating on Silva’s refusal to fight Weidman, Bisping pointed to Silva having earned the right to pick his opponents, failing to fault him for not taking on whomever the UFC puts in front of him.

“At the end of the day, Anderson Silva is the biggest name in the sport right now. I could agree with (his position) to be honest. He’s been the champ since 2006. He’s making more money than anybody else. He’s taking people out and he captures the imagination of the UFC fans. Every time he wins a fight, he does it super impressively and he does it with a move out The Matrix. The guy is a master, he’s a man of the moment and he has been for a long, long time. Of course when you’ve been at the top and you’ve been the champ that long, of course you get to say who you fight,” began Bisping, adding, “I don’t think a fight against Chris Weidman would generate the most (PPV buys). Up until recently, no one had a clue who Chris Weidman was. I didn’t. The only thing I knew about Chris Weidman was that I was watching his fight prior to my fight with Chael Sonnen backstage in Chicago before I went out and I had to turn it off because I was trying to get geared up for my fight and watching him fight was like watching paint dry. So, I’m not sure who’s going to pay 60 dollars to watch him get beat up by Anderson Silva.”

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

This pains me to say. But I think on some level he’s right. People would be more likely to pay to see bisping and AS fight, if anything just to see bisping get destroyed.

• stone says:

Brazil doesn’t even have to pay for ppv events and here in the U.S. of fuckin A., people will pay per view Barao vs Faber for shit’s sakes…. Anderson saw what Weidman did to Munoz and wants NO part of it… Everyone called Munoz the next contender and Chris made him look like a chump…. Weidman is the #1 contender now & that’s who Silva should face…. Bisping is not the #1 contender, he’s coming off a loss, a mayhem miller win and a bunch of boring fights before that……. Somebody needs to slap reality into this asshole’s head.

• Angry Mike says:

I would weep for joy if Stann hit Bisping in the mouth so hard that Bisping’s jaw was broken. With his jaw wired shut, Bisping would have to STFU for at least a month or so.

• Rich S. says:

When is he going to stop harping on this Weidman business? Ugh, I was never one of the Bisping haters, but he’s starting to drive me mad.

He really never opens his mouth anymore unless it’s to say he’s a “contender” and deserves to be fighting for the belt.

Just win your fights, Bisping, and impress the bosses… then you’ll get your title fight. You’re not going to talk yourself into one.

• AlphaOmega says:

I think it’s because he’s pissed that he’s never gotten a title shot, mostly because every time he gets close he loses, then he probably looks at some of the people in the UFC who got title shots, or even titles, off of one win or sometimes even a recent loss, and it annoys him. Then you look at Chael, who’s mouth definitely helped him get two title shots.

I feel dirty all over for trying to explain the possibility of Bisping’s thought process now…

• Lord Faust says:

What Bisping said makes perfect sense. I know, it sucks when that’s the case but Silva doesn’t need to prove shit anymore, he’s going to take fights that make dollars and cents. The only person who has successfully called out Anderson is Chael, and it took more charisma than the rest of the MW division has COMBINED to pull it off.

Weidman’s a great talent, but it would be unwise to throw him in there with Silva. In all likelihood, Silva would smash him, the buy rate would suck and it might undermine the confidence of a rising star. Most guys who fight Anderson are never the same these days; Dan Henderson is the only one I can think of who lost decisively and hasn’t been stuck treading water — or worse — since.

• MCM says:

This is what pisses me off about Bisping….

The only time he’s ever fought “the best” is when he loses. Hendo, Wandy, Chael, Rashad. He’s 12-4 in the UFC and of those 12, 8 of them are no longer in the UFC or even fighting and 2 of them are fighting at 170. And that doesn’t include Hamill who just came out of retirement.

I think Bisping is a highly skilled fighter, but he’s fucking delusional about his record in the UFC. At least he didn’t say he’s been Knocking out the best guys in the world, like he usually does.

• Screenplaya says:

Bottom line: The winner of Bisping/Stann will be an easy sell in a PPV title shot. Weidman – not so much.

Give the Bisping/Stann winner (I expect it to be The Count) the title shot, and get Weidman another name opponent.

Then, this time next year….GSP vs Anderson Silva at a catchweight!

• AlphaOmega says:

If the UFC makes the stipulation that whoever wins gets a title shot, I expect Bisping to lose, if they don’t make that stipulation, I expect him to win.

• JBAR says:

Up until 6 years ago nobody knew who Bisping was and now we wish we didn’t. I actually liked him when he was on TUF and it has been downhill ever since. Feels like I went to bed at 2 with a 10 and woke up at 10 with a 2…….. :)

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Give Bisping a title shot. Deserving or not rankings wise, he is a known commodity, and when Silva leaves him staring at the lights similar to how Hendo left him, then we can say I told you so.