Ronda Rousey only interested in facing Cris “Cyborg” at 135 pounds

Former Strikeforce featherweight champ Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos and current bantamweight title-holder Ronda Rousey have had their names linked together for awhile based on the public’s desire to see a dance between two of the top female fighters in MMA. Fuel has also been added to the fire due to Rousey’s willingness to blast “Cyborg” publicly for steroid use, labeling her as a cheater and even going so far as to question the Brazilian’s gender.

However, one of the main issues preventing the potential pairing relates to weight. Though Rousey used to fight at 145 pounds, she has since slimmed down to 135, while Santos has recently backed off previous statements about following suit to say she can’t drop to bantamweight in a healthy manner after all and would prefer to face “Rowdy Ronda” at a catchweight of 140 (if not at featherweight).

Rousey caught wind of Santos’ statements and addressed them on a today’s episode of TSN’s MMA Report where she shrugged off the notion of going up in weight to appease Santos’ demands (credit to MMAFighting for the transcription).

“If she wants to fight me than she is going to have to find a way to come down to 135. We’ll see how she does in a fair fight for once in her life,” said the outspoken champion. “She has a history of coming in overweight to fights and I wouldn’t doubt that if we agreed to some sort of catchweight at 140, she’d show up at 145 anyway and be like ‘ah whatever, fight or not.’ She’s done this many times before. I don’t owe her anything.”

“She’s completely defamed, and anything she’s ever done is nothing because she is a big old cheater and she’s been doping her whole life,” Rousey continued. “She is nothing but a detriment to the sport and the only positive she could play is an Ivan Drago bad guy that gets beat to hell by a Rocky. So no, she can come down and fight me at 135 because I have a whole line of other people that want to fight me already and I don’t owe her anything.”

Not done there, Rousey went on to make several references to Santos’ suspension for steroid use, accusing “Cyborg” of being afraid of a “fair fight”.

“I don’t need to come up and it’s just like, why would I even want to come up to her weight? Stop doping, lose the weight. She can either do the drugs and fight me at 135 and have the drugs be just as much a detriment as a help to her during the weight cut, or she can cut out all the doping and make the weight easily. It’s just whatever. As long as she makes 135, I don’t care if she’s injecting horse semen into her eyeballs but that’s the only way I feel it would be a fair fight. She’s never had a fair fight in her life and I see how the prospect of that would scare the hell out of her and why she would insist at fighting heavier,” concluded Rousey on the matter.

The unbeaten Rousey is currently busy making the final march towards a meeting with Sarah Kaufman this Saturday night where she’ll defend her title for the first time since winning it in March. Meanwhile, “Cyborg” is still sidelined until mid-December after Stanozolol was found in her system last year.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• Richard Stabone says:

“As long as she makes 135, I don’t care if she’s injecting horse semen into her eyeballs…”

That shit stings.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’m curious what they will do with Cyborg when she comes back, is there enough women left at 145 that can/will face her? And she can’t make 135. In some remarks Dana’s made in the past he’s seemed to have given up on the 145 womens weight division

• Lord Faust says:

Of course Ronda wants to fight her at 135… Cyborg can’t make 135… We’ve already seen the numerous issues with women and weight cuts. (A lot of is biology but that’s a side point.)

Ronda knows Cyborg would beat her senseless. She dropped out of Cyborg’s division to go fight for the 135 title.

I won’t say Ronda is scared, but she’s not stupid. She knows she has a small chance to beat one of the scarier human beings to step into the cage.

• Lord Faust says:

Ronda’s also not a Rhodes scholar… The PEDs Cyborg got busted for help weight cutting. If she couldn’t cut the weigh naturally then WTF would stopping the drugs do…

Pretty woman, great fighter, but dumb as shit.

• JBAR says:

Just book it at 140 with a contract stipulation that if Cyborg comes in overweight the fight is still a go but Ronda gets 10% of Cyborgs purse for every half pound she is over. That should eleminate the argument that she will just come in overweight. At 5 pounds over she would be fighting for free.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Yeah, dropping down to 135 pounds probably had nothing to do with it being a better fit for Rousey naturally (based on physique) or the number of challengers there in comparison to the minimal amount at featherweight.

And the banned substance found in Santos’ system was Stanozolol, an anabolic steroid. She claimed it was part of a supplement she was taking to lose weight, sure, but why would you take a caught cheat’s word at face value? My understanding of it is that Stanozolol assists with cutting fat while adding muscle mass. MAYBE not using it would reduce her muscle mass, thus her weight as well. You mean to tell me taller fighters than her can make 135 without a problem but Cyborg 100% can’t without risking her health? She’s had a year to slim down.

Nice guy, good poster, but dumb as shit. :) (JK Faust, you know I love ya!)

• Lord Faust says:

All good. :)

I am not 100% on the PEDs involved, since it’s hard to find legit information. Forums are full of wannabe scientists / endocrinologists.

• Lord Faust says:

Also, I am pretty sure Ronda’s change of weight class had more to do with a title shot than physique. ;)

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Rousey was slightly soft at 145 and is a specimen at 135. Just compare the pre-Tate pics with her more recent stuff. There are definitely worst things in the world than Googling “Ronda Rousey Pics”, right?

• Lord Faust says:

She’s got pretty burly arms, still not sold. She also competed in Judo at 70kg.

• Lord Faust says:

LOL, the more I think about this, the less I want to get too heated in a discussion about women’s weight. I’m not a Mean Girl.

• darth_irritable says:

Stanozolol is a cutting steroid. It’s not used for gaining mass. Plus unlike other roids, it doesn’t tend to cause water retention.

It was actually smart of Cyborg to claim it was in a weight loss supplement, since it’s logical a dodgy vendor might have put them in.

With that in mind, Rousey’s an idiot. But I’d still pay to see this fight.

• Angry Mike says:

Wasn’t Cyborg cut by Strikeforce/Zuffa? She’s not listed as a fighter on the Strikeforce web page.

• Lord Faust says:

Good question. Maybe her contract expired during her suspension… (in general they tend to be X years or Y fights, whichever comes first.)