Ronda Rousey: “If I get (Sarah Kaufman) in a choke, I’m going to hold on to it until she’s actually dead.”

After the conclusion of a recent press conference relating to their bout tomorrow night, both Strikeforce bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey (5-0) and challenger Sarah Kaufman (15-1) took time to speak with the media. However, while hyping the fight, Rousey may have crossed the line in the opinions of many after including some serious threats along with her pre-fight trash-talk.

“Kaufman might not know it, but she should be thanking her lucky stars that MMA is properly regulated in California. If I get her in an armbar, I’m going to try to rip it off and throw it at her corner,” said the former Olympic medalist in judo while speaking to MMAJunkie.

She didn’t stop there either, continuing,“If I get her in a choke, I’m going to hold on to it until she’s actually dead. And if I get a knockout, along the way I’m going to try to pound her face into the ground and she’s depending on the competence of the California (State) Athletic Commission to walk out of that cage alive.”

After catching wind of her comments, Kaufman took the high road, saying, “I have no doubt that she’s trained fully for this fight, and I don’t think preparation is going to be a factor for her at all. She’s going to show up to fight and she’s going to try to kill me, but that’s alright. At the end of the day, someone’s going to walk out with the belt, and I want that person to be me.”

The unfortunate statements made by Rousey come in the wake of the recent passing of 30-year old Tyrone Mimms who made his amateur debut on a card in South Carolina only for tragic circumstances to surface shortly thereafter. Mimms lost the fight by technical knockout and seemed fine to the doctor in cage. Sadly, Mimms later passed out backstage, and despite the efforts of the EMTs and  Medical University Hospital staff, Mimms was pronounced dead hours later.

UFC President Dana White has scolded fighters in the past for making such  threats. Former heavyweight champion Frank Mir made similar statements about former champion Brock Lesnar while talking about a potential rematch. It will certainly be interesting to see how White responds to Rousey’s comments who he has referred to Rousey as “the face of women’s MMA.”

Kaufman and Rousey are set to square off this Saturday night at the Valley View Casino Center in San Diego, California. The fight will be broadcast on Showtime with things firing up at 10:00 PM EST.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

When keeping it (not so) real goes wrong….

• darth_irritable says:

She’s like a more dangerous Sonnen. In my mind the difference is Sonnen knowingly turns the douche dial to 11. Rousey just does it by mistake.

To paraphrase Doctor Who, she’s a beautiful idiot.

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 1

• Lord Faust says:

That was the dumbest comment I’ve ever heard from an MMA fighter since Mir said he wants to kill Brock.

I can’t support that shit. I’ll continue to appreciate her work in the cage but Rhonda just lost a fan. (I doubt she cares.)

Well-Done. Thumb up 18 Thumb down 1

• Sumoninja says:

I definitely get the impression Rhonda isn’t a Rhodes Scholar…and this proves it. Pretty sure she’s not serious, but you just can’t say sh!t like that, and especially not in her position. Digging Sarah’s calm approach. I’m happy with either winning, think Rousey will probably take it, but I’m rooting for Sarah here and I think if it gets past the first round Rhonda is going down.

• RicM says:

It’s brainless statements like that which are partly the reason MMA is still having difficulty getting sanctioned in some areas….more ammunition for the haters…….Zuffa needs to step up and make her issue a public apology for those kind of statements and do some damage control……

• MCM says:

Meh. Sounds like trash talk and hype, just poorly done. No reason to get your panties in a bunch, ladies.

• Screenplaya says:

Uncle Dana, it’s time to punish your favorite niece. Fine her and force her to apologize. She needs a harsh lesson about how to carry herself as a representative of your company and the sport in general.

Loving how classy Sarah is being about all this. I hope she gets the knockout. It won’t make Rousey any brighter, but it might shut her mouth for a while.

• king mah mah says:

Oh come on! Why was my comment taken down? Was it really any worse than Rhonda’s comments that you guys posted to the site for everyone to see?

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Yes, it was. She is a public figure. She is also one of the most popular fighters in the sport. That makes her comments newsworthy and something worth reading.

Your comment about performing a sexual act on her, not so much.

• king mah mah says:

So wanting to have a sexual encounter with a beautiful woman is worse than openly saying you want to commit murder? Not sure I get it, but whatever you say I guess.

• Angry Mike says:

It’s not my place to speak for king mah mah, but I will, anyway. “Your censorship is f***ing killing me.” I think that touches all the bases.

• Richard Stabone says:

King – Rimming Ronda is quite a ways off topic. Plus sexuality always gets censored much quicker than violence.

So anyway, that pic accompanying the article looks like it could have been taken in 1992 rather than 2012. Nicely done, ladies. Maybe one of them will be rocking a pair of leg warmers for their walkout.

As for Ronda’s comments, she sounds like a spaz that stopped taking her meds for fight week. But hey, we want the fighters to be candid with their comments, so I guess crazy talk is better than a lot of the typical canned responses we often hear.

But there does need to be a line drawn somewhere… MMA has experienced tremendous growth over the past decade, and continues to ride a wave of strong momentum, so at some point the overall sport (led by the UFC) will have to figure out how to manage the trash talk & overall showmanship element. How it continues to establish its identify/brand to the global audience will be crucial to its ongoing expansion & ultimate potential. Hopefully doesn’t need to go as far as the other established pro sports (NFL, NBA, MLB) in putting fairly tight reins on athlete behavior in order to protect the image of the league (which sacrifices some of the fun and raw emotion of the competitors), but MMA doesn’t want to let things slide too much either where the general public more associates it with pro wrasslin…or “human cockfighting”…and so on.

• Lord Faust says:

If you can get fired for retweeting a rape joke that is a quote from a TV show, I can’t see why someone shouldn’t get similar treatment for saying you want to kill your opponent.

Then again, I guess you can’t really visit support groups for murder victims to prove you’ve “changed your attitude”.

good point Faust

• AlphaOmega says:

The difference is Faust, that Torez doesn’t make them as much money as Rousey does, or as Rashad does since he made a rape joke right after Torez did, and nothing happened. If you make the UFC money they won’t do much, if you don’t make them much money then they will punish you

• Angry Mike says:

What? Two thumbs down? I put up a post that includes sex and violence after Mah Mah is censored over sex and violence, and that’s the feedback? What are you, an audience or an oil painting?

• king mah mah says:

I guess if I would have said I wanted to kill someone, that would have been more acceptable than my sexual comment. I don’t get it. Plus I was also sticking up for Rhonda. She is just trying to draw as much attention as she can for women’s MMA. Agree with her comments or not, she is drawing attention for saturday nights fight. I don’t recall it being such a huge deal when male fighters have said similar things. I guess as long as you don’t mention sex, everything else is fair game though.

• Angry Mike says:

No sexual content? Screw that.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Not saying Rousey should have said what she did, but sometimes I think comments like this are a product of our 24/7 news cycle.

How many interviews do you think each woman has done over the past 14 days? Text, tv shows, email, mic in your face, phone etc? How many of the same questions worded one way or another?

Think sometimes in the effort to give a original response, giving a good quote gets in the way of overall common sense.

Think we should all settle down and enjoy getting to see two accomplished athletes, who also both happen to be attractive women ply their craft.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Oh yeah and I think Rousey takes another arm home before end of round 1.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’m rooting for Kaufman to get her belt back

• Michael says:

Pure white trash, Rousey is a bag of crap. I would love to see Kaufman contact the police over the threats.. Be really funny to drag out that she bitch in cuffs before the fight..
    All Rousey has done in last three weeks is shoot off that mouth of her’s and show how unready she is for the big time.

• AlphaOmega says:

There’s a few people who say Kaufman won’t last long because she’s not getting upset over anything Ronda has said, and even said that she doesn’t want to trash talk Ronda because it’s not her way. And they are pointing out that Dana said he can name two female fighters, and Kaufman wasn’t one of them. I think those are the same people who forgot that it was Kaufman who chewed out Coker and the SF organization about not putting the 135 womens division on tv until they finally did it, and now look where we are with the 135 womens division.

By the way I know this post doesn’t have anything to do with Ronda’s comments, except for the part about how Kaufman is just being quiet and not upset over them, but Hendo is the same way.

• AlphaOmega says:

Also that post wasn’t really caused by anyone here on 5oz specifically, I like most of you and respect your opinions, it was in regards to an article I read on yahoo.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I dont think they should let her fight.
    What she said is so far over the top and out there…I actually think a fine and suspension is in order.

• Big Stank says:

If I ever run into logic I’m gunna rip his arm off and beat him to death with it lol. See what I did there? All it is was an idol threat. No harm, no foul. Seriously though suspending her? No, she just has diarreaha of the mouth and probably tired of answering the same question over and over. It made me want to watch this fight a little more than I already did. Hype? It worked on me.