Dan Henderson: “I don’t plan on wasting this opportunity.”

UFC light heavyweight Dan Henderson has accomplished an incredible amount throughout his athletic journey. From Olympic success as an amateur wrestler to championships in PRIDE/Strikeforce, the 41-year old has had a career other fighters dream of including wins against some of the best competitors MMA has ever seen.

However, one belt eluding him thus far has been a UFC title, a problem Henderson is out to rectify at UFC 151 when he faces divisional king Jon Jones.

“I don’t plan on wasting this opportunity. I plan on making the best of it and making sure that I come out on top no matter what it takes,” explained Henderson in an interview with the UFC promoting the September 1 scrap.

As far as how “Hendo” is approaching his goal, the seasoned veteran pointed to the need to avoid some of Jones’ creativity on the striking front and turn things into a good ol’ fashioned fight.

“I feel like things I need to watch out for most are his elbows, his knees, and a little bit of his kicks. I’m not so concerned about his hands,” said Henderson. “Once I’m inside and tight with him I’m planning on definitely putting him on his back, seeing how he fights from there.”

“I think he’s a little bit cocky. If you keep thinking you’re much better than you are, you’re gonna get caught in a spot you shouldn’t,” he added.

The 29-8 Henderson is currently on a four-fight winning streak with consecutive victories over the likes of Fedor Emelianenko and Mauricio Rua. He has finished more than half of the opponents he’s beaten while only suffering three stoppages himself.

Check out the complete clip with Henderson’s interview below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

This sounds a lot like what Rashad said. Get in tight and put him on his back and not being overly worried about his inside game.

How’d that work out for him?

• Big Stank says:

Dan definatley has the power to put Jones out cold, but can he get close enough to do that without taking too much damage in the process? Only time shall tell…

• MCM says:

@ Mad_Hatter,
    What other game plan is there? It’s not like anybody else in the sport, let alone the division, can hang with Jones from the outside. He’s too long to keep at bay, he’s too quick for straight boxing, and trading kicks is a fools errand. Working from the inside and trying to put him on his back is gonna be the only way to beat this guy until someone with similar dimensions comes along.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Jones seems to come up with a new way to attack each fight. I’m sure he finds some way to keep Hendo away and out of range of the right hand.

Using those long legs with a push kick to create space would make a lot of sense.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

While I think Jones will win I would like to see Hendo take him down for the simple reason of we don’t know how he works off his back and that seems to be mentioned frequently.

• RicM says:

…….One big right hand……..just one……….