Ovince St. Preux: “I knew he was out before he hit the ground.”

Strikeforce light heavyweight Ovince St. Preux appeared to be on the cusp of top contendership in the division before running into a decision loss at the hands of Gegard Mousasi this past December. Sidelined since the defeat, St. Preux went into last night’s clash with T.J. Cook at Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman hoping to make a statement and did just that with a third round knockout.

The win marked his ninth in ten fights and was the sixth strike-based stoppage of his career. However, after a big opening round, St. Preux almost saw victory slip through his fingers after apparently overexerting himself early on in hopes of finding faster success.

“I caught him with a big shot and I stunned him really bad. I went in for the finish and every time I’d get a clean shot in he’d go out back out and get back up…I think I exerted too much energy trying to finish him and he got on me a little bit,” explained OSP in an interview with Showtime after the match-up. “In the second round I felt a little tired but the third round came about I was feeling refreshed. I had a little bounce in my step.”

While he may have struggled to put Cook away in the opening round, when it came to the actual punch rendering Cook into a puddle of goo St. Preux was already confident he had the fight won before the referee even stepped in to call the bout.

“I knew he was out before he hit the ground,” stated the 29-year old St. Preux on his beautifully brutal finish of Cook.

Check out the complete interview with OSP below:

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• AlphaOmega says:

I think if he could put it all together his reach and strength could eventually go up against Jones at some point. Just depends on if he can put everything together and get to that stage or not.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

You mean against Jones as a sparring partner? Or maybe you meant against him in Madden? You couldn’t have meant against him a fight that counts that people might have to pay for did you?

He took two rounds and some change to put away some guy who is lucky to not be on the undercard some local event.

Nothing OSP showed me last night led me to believe he would be competive against anyone in the top 25 at 205 in UFC.

Sweet KO, yes. Does a lucky punch against some journeyman with a heartbeat mean he is ready for Jon Jones? Hardly.

• AlphaOmega says:

I said if he could get everything together just based upon his size and reach. Do I think he can do that? No not from last nights fight, does that stop me from kinda wishing he would just so we could see Jones fight someone as big and lanky as him? No it doesnt.

• JabCrossHook says:

He wasn’t impressive at all last night, the guy who he fought only trained part time and he managed to come back and outland OSP in power strikes. OSP let too many punches through, the only thing it shows is that if he fought Mousasi again he would be picked apart on the feet brutally. He was lucky Mousasi was sick/injured in that fight or he would’ve been finished in the first round.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

UFC is currently grooming Gustaffason for that “someone as big and lanky as him” role. Gustaffason is still rough around the edges , but appears to be a much better fighter than OSP.

• Angry Mike says:

When he was ko’d, Cook was obviously gassed, so his hands were down. If he’d had the opportunity to train full time and properly prepare, he might’ve won that fight. That fight and ko–as impressive as it looked–isn’t a measure of OSP’s skills or how he stacks up against UFC caliber fighters.