Miesha Tate doesn’t feel her win over Julie Kedzie earned rematch with Ronda Rousey

This past weekend, Strikeforce bantamweight Miesha Tate played a major role in one of the year’s best bouts after coming back from the brink of defeat to submit seasoned veteran Julie Kedzie with only 90 seconds remaining in a bout she would have likely lost on the scorecards. However, as impressive as her win may have been, in Tate’s eyes she did little to establish herself as the division’s top contender.

“I was happy that I won but not thrilled with my performance,” admitted Tate at the post-event press conference. “At this point I don’t feel – everyone is saying it was Fight of the Night and everything, and that’s great and I’m really happy it was an entertaining bout – but I personally am not happy with my performance and I definitely don’t think it was a contention-worthy performance. I’m not gonna ask for (a title-shot) because I don’t feel that I deserve it. I think I need to take a couple fights.”

Tate’s honesty on the matter likely caught a few folks off-guard considering the former champion’s unquestioned desire to duke it out with current title-holder Ronda Rousey again. The two have continued to exchange personal barbs at each other even after their meeting this past march where Rousey dethroned Tate with an opening round Armbar.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• Dachman says:

Not something you would expect out of a former champ. I wonder if she isn’t worried about losing again, winning a couple more keeps her relevant longer. I think Rousey is in her head!

• Lord Faust says:

I applaud her sense of honesty here. It was a great fight and she pulled out a hail Mary win, but she’s correct about her performance — she got lit up on the feet and was looking at a 30-27 rout until that submission.

Tate should keep negative opinions of herself to herself… it opens the door for others to agree with her.

• MCM says:

I’m just glad to hear ANY fighter say they don’t deserve a title shot after only one win. Too many title shots are handed out to fighters that don’t earn them. (ahem, Machida, Cain, Faber, etc.)

• Lord Faust says:

I find it funny that by their next fights, I now despise Rousey’s persona and am starting to develop a soft spot for Miesha. I don’t know exactly how to feel about this.

• JBAR says:

She probably wants more time to work on her throw and armbar defense. In reality she probably has one more shot for sure but after that who knows. If it was me and I got beat like Meish I would want to go into the next fight as prepared as possible. The problem is that her biggest advantage is on her feet and it looks like Ronda is working on that part of her game. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.