Cris Cyborg: “I will not endanger my health to satisfy the rantings of a spoiled little girl…”

In what is fast-becoming one of MMA’s fiercest feuds, former Strikeforce featherweight champ Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos has responded to a number of recent comments coming from unbeaten bantamweight queen Ronda Rousey regarding a fight at 135-pounds rather than at the Brazilian’s regular weight. Santos, who said it would be her final remark on the matter, remained resolute on her inability to make the bantamweight limit while questioning Rousey’s decision to avoid the division she once called home.

“She claims she is the ‘Champion’ and openly challenges me to fight at 135 pounds. She competed in the Beijing Olympics at 70 kilograms/154 pounds, and fought at 145 pounds in MMA till she learned she would have to fight me, and then dropped to 135 pounds,” stated Santos in an official comment to Inside MMA. “I have never fought below 145 pound, and I am considered the pound for pound top women fighter in the WORLD!”

“There really is NOT a safe way for me to cut to 135 pounds, not without hurting myself physically,” Santos continued. “I am less than 8% body fat at 145 pounds. And my cardiologist and physician have advised me that to make such a drastic reduction in weight could have permanent effects in my long term health. And I will not endanger my health to satisfy the rantings of a spoiled little girl who has yet to prove that she can truly compete at the my level, at a weight she has not only fought at before but has been awarded an Olympic medal!”

For now, barring a change of heart from Santos or Rousey, it appears the gap separating the two from a future scrap remains as large as it has ever been. Rousey improved her record to 6-0 last weekend by submitting Sarah Kaufman less than a minute into their match-up, while the 10-1 Santos has been out of action since mid-December due to a drug-related suspension.

The complete statement from “Cyborg” can be found below:

“I get many questions about Ronda Rousey, and I would like to set the record straight for the “last time”, as I do not consider her much personally, much less as a fighter.

She claims she is the “Champion” and openly challenges me to fight at 135 pounds. She competed in the Beijing Olympics at 70 kilograms/154 pounds, and fought at 145 pounds in MMA till she learned she would have to fight me, and then dropped to 135 pounds. Which I find laughable. I have never fought below 145 pound, and I am considered the pound for pound top women fighter in the WORLD! I have yet to lose a fight while holding the Strikeforce (featherweight) title. My last fight was considered a no contest, but that has NOT changed the fact that I AM the women’s 145-pound CHAMPION!

There really is NOT a safe way for me to cut to 135 pounds, not without hurting myself physically. I am less than 8% body fat at 145 pounds. And my cardiologist and physician have advised me that to make such a drastic reduction in weight could have permanent effects in my long term health. And I will not endanger my health to satisfy the rantings of a spoiled little girl who has yet to prove that she can truly compete at the my level, at a weight she has not only fought at before but has been awarded an Olympic medal!
So to put this issue to rest, if Ronda is the future of WMMA, and is the “Champion” that she envisions….you know where I am, and I am more than willing to give you an opportunity to test me. I WILL fight you at 145 pounds…you know, the weight that you started at, and then you can have two belts, and prove to everyone that you are indeed a “Champion”.

If not, stay at 135 pounds and continue to delude yourself and your fans that you can beat me. You’re really not worth my time otherwise. I will do all of my talking in the ring. Until then your really not worth my breath.”

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• Lord Faust says:

Cue people saying “then cut some muscle”. Frankly, I’m tired of armchair quarterbacks telling athletes to cut weight, regardless of how safe it is. The weight cutting in MMA is getting so absurd, and Cyborg seems to be taking the brunt of it — combined with having to deal with being called everything from a she-male to a juicer. (She got caught once, and while she’s no saint in that regard I fail to see why she gets less benefit of the doubt than her male counterparts.)

Cyborg will continue to get shit on, as long as her opponents look better than her in skin-tight clothing. The misogynist tenor of a lot of her critics is really off-putting. It’s like some people will only extend respect — and a token amount at that — if a female fighter is equal parts athlete as they are eye candy. I do not approve of this.

Cyborg should stick to her guns, win some more fights at 145 and ignore Mouthy Rhonda Roussey.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 22 Thumb down 25

• Dufresne says:

Why is Champion in quotes? She is the champion. She has the belt to prove it and she’s got a defense of her belt on her record to back it up.

I get that Cyborg doesn’t want to cut weight because of health concerns, but if that’s the case then I guess she won’t be fighting Rousey for belt.

And on a more cynical note, she didn’t seem to be worried about her long term health when she was just taking whatever her soon to be ex-husband and trainer told her to take without question. The only reason I even halfway believe that she might not have known that she was taking roids is because those two separated just a few months after she got popped.

Well-Done. Thumb up 16 Thumb down 3

• YetiLee says:

“I will not endanger my health” is the funniest thing she could have said, I think everybody knows the dangers and long term effects of steroid abuse and yet she had no problem doing that shit. Not to mention the obvious but cut out the steroids and she wouldn’t have a problem making weight, just an excuse because she knows she can’t win in a clean fight.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 15 Thumb down 11

• Lord Faust says:

To be fair, although it’s popular on forums to do so, arguing with your personal physician is probably not a good idea.

IMO, the quote marks aren’t sarcasm, she’s just referring to Rhonda’s title. English is a shitty language; I’m not going to get too mad considering I am pretty sure that is a translation.

• Lord Faust says:

Actually, that is still a highly contentious subject.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 8

• Lord Faust says:

Thumbs down all you like. I have yet to read about any deaths linked to steroid usage; a whole generation of pro-wrestlers have died, and did abuse steroids, but their deaths were due to insane abuse of painkillers. (Hence why the common cause of death is heart attacks.)

Some PEDs are bad for your joints, and they certainly lead to overtraining, or blood clots (in the case of stuff like EPO). But I am presently unaware of any study that specifically links steroids with things like heart disease or cancer.

• Angry Mike says:

I firmly believe that steroids are just as safe as cigarettes.

• Lord Faust says:

That’s cool, do you have anything to back that up? I’m a smoker, and I can find lots of studies that say “the last few years of your life are probably going to suck.”

• AlphaOmega says:

Bad to be an arm-chair quarterback, good to be an arm-chair doctor.

• Angry Mike says:

Nah. Just trollin’.

• Lord Faust says:

Who needs to be a doctor to debate generalities? I’m not offering a diagnosis.

• Lord Faust says:

I am also potentially confused. (This happens a lot of th– OOH SHINY!)

• YetiLee says:

“Thumbs down all you like. I have yet to read about any deaths linked to steroid usage” – Lyle Alzado comes to mind right away.

• Lord Faust says:

Aside from his own claims, I am having trouble finding anything to back that assertion up. Dude played football, and had his brains scrambled. (It’s not like CTE is a new thing, but the testing is.)

Sure, it’s possible but I’m not sold on what I have read. HGH and various steroids might exacerbate the growth of a tumour, and some oral steroids can fuck your liver up, but the latter can be said for Tylenol as well.

• Lord Faust says:

Also, scientists still don’t even know what causes cancer; as far as I am aware, cells get damaged and divide at an out-of-control rate, but the actual catalyst is still unknown — and probably varies, depending on the type of cancer.

• Richard Stabone says:

Cyborg is shredded and expecting her to cut an additional 7% below the 145 mark she already cuts to isn’t feasible. Then combined with the fact Ronda has spent the bulk of her career competing at or above 145, it does seem like Ronda has consciously steered clear of Cyborg. Ronda is tough; Cyborg is a killer.

If Ronda wants the fight at 145, she can have it. Go ahead and make a big stink about drug testing… I can understand that. Force Cyborg to go the VADA route, the way BJ & Rory have done.

But to continue running her mouth while hiding behind the protective barrier of the 135 pound division is wearing thin. Imagine if Frankie Edgar had dropped to 145 earlier and then started calling out Maynard, stating he’d only fight him at 145. Weak sauce.

• darth_irritable says:

Actually, Faust, there are plenty of examples of steroid related deaths – usually due to enlarged hearts. However – you are 100% right that these deaths occur as a result of abuse. Anabolic steroids, used within safe parameters are actually well documented as very safe.

Lyle died of brain cancer. There’s nothing to suggest that juicing causes that, but plenty to suggest that repeated concussions might have something to do with it.

Santos tested positive for Stan metabolites. Doesn’t say how much she was taking, so to assume it would adversely impact her health is a pretty big leap. It’s a bit unfair to thumbs down because of Faust’s comments.

That said ” I will not endanger my health to satisfy the rantings of a spoiled little girl who has yet to prove that she can truly compete at the my level, at a weight she has not only fought at before but has been awarded an Olympic medal.”
    — may be the best comment ever.

Also, to be fair, I hear Santos is hypo-gonadal like Chael, so a bit of TRT exemption seem appropriate.

That is all.

• Lord Faust says:

Darth, thanks for the additional insight. I would definitely believe the enlarged heart angle, though some people are born with that too — it’s got to be difficult to test after-the-fact. I’ve heard everything from steroids allegedly causing cancer to …. damn, you name it. Anecdata is easy to find online.

I’ll be doing some more digging for my own benefit, regardless.

Also, black market PEDs are in issue on their own; same with drugs, you don’t know exactly what you’re getting once you’re going that route. If you’ve got the coin for pharmacy grade, I am sure the downsides are lessened.

• darth_irritable says:

I give you the side effects of steroid *abuse*

• Lord Faust says:

Just saw the video title… Wild guess…. HGH gut? :)

• jasonah says:

There Might be some conteversy about Cyborg, But She’s a legit B.J.J black belt, and wasn’t a member of Chute box? I got her Knocking out rousey round In the First round! That chick is packing way to much testostorone.

• darth_irritable says:

Yessir.

• Angry Mike says:

Doesn’t steroid abuse cause atrophy of the testicles and enlarged breast tissue in men? Frank Shamrock claimed that Ken had surgery to reduce/remove breast tissue due to steroid use. So maybe they don’t kill you, but when you’re junk shrivels and you have to borrow your girl’s brassiere, you’re pretty close.

• AlphaOmega says:

It’s a bit unfair to thumbs down because of Faust’s comments.

But there seems to be some lurkers who thumbs down just for fun anymore.

I’ve heard that it does that too Angry Mike, I’m curious though what it does to women, not give them bigger boobs that’s for sure.

• darth_irritable says:

Alpha, if you want to find out, google Chyna clitoris. and look for images or video.

Don’t do it at work. And have a bucket handy.

• Sumoninja says:

Although it’s currently the most important fight that can be made in WMMA, it’s the fighter’s decision to fight in whichever weight classes they choose, and I respect that. Just don’t lie to me and say there’s no safe way for Cyborg to get down 10lbs. (lose muscle) or that Rhonda can’t compete at 145. Seems to me they are at a risk vs. reward stalemate with respect to their skills and weight and the easy answer is fight at catchweight of 140. I’d feel differently about a catchweight fight if there were relevant competitors for either in their respective weight classes, but since there’s not, let em fight without the possibility of losing their belts. Bonus is that the promotion doesn’t lose a dominant draw in either class regardless of the outcome.

• AlphaOmega says:

I don’t think Ronda has ever said that she can’t fight at 145, just that she doesn’t want to.

• Sumoninja says:

To alpha: I didn’t say that well. I was referring to thoughts I’ve heard voiced from other people that she’d be nuts to go up and meet Cyborg at 145, not that she said it herself. Just saying she there’s not hard reason she can’t fihgt up just like there’s no hard reason Cyborg can’t fight down.

• AlphaOmega says:

If they were to fight, I think it’d be very stupid of Ronda to move up to Cyborg’s weight, all the advantage would be in Cyborg’s court then, where as if Cyborg cut down the advantage would tip in favor of Ronda. A catch weight would neutralize that to some degree, but both women are to proud to agree to that I think.

• Richard Stabone says:

Well said, and I agree with most of what you’re saying. Both gals have their heels dug in pretty deep, so if something’s gonna get done it does seem like 140 is the way to go. And that would certainly be better than no fight at all, but the catchweight thing is a little bit lame. It would satisfy our appetite as fight fans to some extent, but it would be like a good meal but having to leave the dessert on the counter. Or playing the Super Bowl without awarding a trophy. But again, as contentious as this thing has already gotten, I guess we gotta take whatever we can get.

The part I can’t fully agree with you on is the weight cut. For Cyborg, I suppose it’s within the realm of possibility she could shed enough muscle and overall body mass to get down to 135. But that would be a pretty extreme endeavor. I don’t know what her normal day-to-day weight is but I’d imagine she’s already making a significant cut when she fights at 145. Dropping another 10lbs below 145 represents about 7% of her body weight, which on a relative basis is like a LHW fighter shedding 15 pounds. And apparently for women this weight cutting game is a different animal, with biological differences making it more difficult (perhaps downright unhealthy).

So anyway, Cyborg would clearly need to alter her entire lifestyle, diet, training, etc. And it would transform her body from the fine-tuned machine it’s been for however many years, into something completely (and perhaps permanently?) different. So yeah, it’s probably *possible*, but expecting her to go thru that type of transformation considering her line of work, it’s a risk not worth taking IMO.

I threw out Frankie & Maynard as a loose comparison in a previous comment. I think there are some general similarities between Ronda-Cyborg and Frankie-Maynard. News has finally broke about Frankie dropping to 145, but if he had done it a couple years ago and then started calling out Maynard, that would be similar to the route Ronda has taken here. And I’m sure Maynard could hypothetically alter his entire lifestyle to figure out a way to get down to 145 lbs, but asking/expecting him to do it would be asinine, under any circumstances.

• Richard Stabone says:

And again, it’s not like asking Ronda to move up to 145 is anything unusual. This isn’t GSP moving up to 185 to take on Silva, at a weight class he’s never competed at. Ronda has spent the bulk of her career at 145 or higher. So as far as the stalemate goes, if the fight had to take place at 135 vs. 145, it’s pretty obvious which option is more feasible, and therefore which gal is dodging which if it never gets done.

Like Faust has said though, can’t really blame Ronda. Look what has happened to everyone else to step in front of Cyborg. During the referee instructions / touch gloves moment before each Cyborg fight, the thing that always pops in my head is the Drago line from Rocky… “If (s)he dies, (s)he dies.”

• elsicilian says:

“Cyborg should stick to her guns” … that’s funny for a number of reasons!

The truth is, Cyborg was suspiciously over-muscled to begin with, and then she got busted for roids. I don’t think it’s a stretch for anyone to imagine that 10lbs worth of that freakish muscle was the product of chemical engineering, and her domination of the 145lb division is never going to be considered legitimate in retrospect. So while Cyborg’s position is probably more pragmatic, she’s never gonna have the high moral ground in this argument.

I’m guessing the fight never happens, which is just too bad.

• elsicilian says:

PS – Cyborg needs this fight a LOT more than Ronda does … so do the math.

• Lord Faust says:

For what it’s worth, Cyborg is two inches shorter than Georges St. Pierre, and her walking-around weight is 10 lbs. less than the divisional limit that GSP cuts 15-20 lbs. to meet.

Would you expect GSP to drop to 145, because “hey, you can always shed some muscle”?

• elsicilian says:

GSP’s dominance is not predicated on physical superiority to even a fraction of a degree that Cyborg’s has been. Moreover, GSP has not been exposed as a steroid cheat, and had the legitimacy of his entire title run cast into doubt, due the doubts that now exist regarding that selfsame physical superiority. Finally, GSP is not crawling back from the precipice of irrelevance, seeking a matchup with the hottest commodity in the sport.

So I understand the point you are trying to make, but I don’t think the two situations you’re comparing are even remotely analogous.

• darth_irritable says:

I don’t think Cyborg is seeking a matchup with Rousey at all, is she? Rousey’s calling out cyborg.

• Lord Faust says:

No, the promotional positions Cyborg and GSP are in are diametrically opposed.

But, like Darth says, Cyborg never asked for the fight; the fans and now Rhonda have asked for it.

• elsicilian says:

That’s a fair point. Here’s the situation as I see it …

Rousey is calling out Cyborg, and insisting she come to her 135lb weight class (which is totally reasonable, given all the reasons enumerated above). Cyborg is being coy, and trying to convince everyone that she can’t make the weight cut, that Rousey should really want to fight her at 145lbs, and that Cyborg herself doesn’t particularly care about fighting Rousey one way or the other.

Does anyone really believe that?

• Lord Faust says:

Unless she is lying about what her physician said, then I am willing to believe her.

Her game has always been about ferocity and man-handling her opponents, why would she reduce these elements of her MMA game just to take a fight with someone who left her divison and, as she said, was skilled enough to win an Olympic medal at a weight class 9 pounds higher?

Monetarily, Cyborg probably needs to take this fight. Health-wise, and career wise, I don’t think dropping to 135 is a wise move. She’s had weight issues before; why risk a big money fight with a reluctant fighter who claims they cannot make weight and who has missed the 145 mark before?

If she says “fine, I’ll do it” and then misses weight, she’ll catch more heat than Rumble every time he talks about eating bags of gummy worms.

• Richard Stabone says:

It’s an interesting & tricky situation. Hard to really size up either gal’s true motives & agenda. Get it?…size up…heh heh. OK then, my take would be something like this…

Ronda saw how things went down with Cyborg and Gina. Ronda has enjoyed a similarly fast rise to Carrano, and recognizes the inevitable hype for her to be the next to challenge Cyborg. But something tells me Ronda wants no part of Cyborg…no need to follow that part of the Carrano script.

Some dude once said the best defense is a good offense. So she & her camp have gone on the offensive, calling out Cyborg, ranting & raving about drugs & horse semen & the like, and demanding she meet her at 135 pounds to make it happen. Well, I think they know Cyborg can’t make 135 and don’t expect her to call their bluff. And in the meantime Ronda comes across as the one asking for the fight and looking like tough stuff…without ever having to face her in the cage.

• AlphaOmega says:

She’s kinda screwed either way, if she is trying to get out of her UFC contract and go to Invicta, Ronda will be relentless about how Cyborg ran from her and got out of the contract because she couldn’t cut to 135 fairly.

• jeref says:

As mentioned before, there is a difference between men and women cutting weight. There’s also a difference simply based on the weight classes. This isn’t like Anderson Silva who manages to cut weight for 185 but has to cut weight even to fight at 205. For either woman it makes no sense to change weight classes for one fight. Cyborg cutting muscle for one fight, then turn around and try to regain that muscle (juice free) for the next fight couldn’t be healthy. For Ronda to gain 10 pounds of muscle for one fight would be no less unhealthy. None of us can say for sure why Ronda dropped to 135 in the first place. Maybe it was for a size advantage, or maybe, just maybe, it was because she feels better/quicker/healthier at 135. Besides, Ronda has nothing to gain and everything to lose by facing Cyborg. If she loses, then all the noise will be “one trick pony”, “first real competition”, blah blah blah. If she wins, then it will be “well, Cyborg isn’t what she use to be”, “Cyborg’s had a year layoff and had ring rust” etc. etc.

• Lord Faust says:

Ultimately, I would like to see the media frenzy over this channelled somewhere more constructive with regards to WMMA in general.

Whether Rhonda ever fights Cyborg is a small issue in the grand scheme of things; the fact there is a fight this compelling in WMMA bodes well for the future.

Ideally, to grow WMMA you need both Cyborg and Rhonda. The UFC wasn’t built on the back of just Tito, or Hughes, or Franklin, or Liddell, or Randy, but all of them combined. The same principle applies to WMMA; we need more marketable stars and right now we have 3-4 — depending on whether or not Kedzie’s performance was her all-time best or a sign of things to come.

• AlphaOmega says:

By UFC contract I mean Zuffa.

• AlphaOmega says:

No no no no Faust, UFC was built on the back of Tito, I mean sheesh he created the LHW divison and made the UFC famous after all, gawd.

• Lord Faust says:

Yeah but he had help for those rare occasions he was recovering from injuries.

• AlphaOmega says:

@jeref If Ronda wins against Cyborg I think what everyone would be saying is that Cyborg can’t win without juicing

• triangleman says:

People are saying you do not die as a direct result of taking steroids? Do you realize that people do not die from Diabetes, they die from Heart failure or stroke that is caused by the symptoms of the disease. The direct causes from steroid use are over grown muscles that cannot be supported by the ligaments and tendon that attach to joints because they cannot keep up with the exponential muscle growth that takes place while taking PEDs. Thereby causing severe joint pain and discomfort and causing wrestlers and fighters to take painkillers. The side effect of the increased testoserone in your body is the body then stops producing natural testoserone on its own because it regulates itself and sees it doenst need to do this anymore. There for you body is now completely thrown off. This causes mood swings and depression in a lot of people. ANYONE who thinks PED’s dont cause major long term physical and mental issues is a MORON and should pick up a simple human biology book and understand that they are not good for you PERIOD! The only thing bigger than Chris Santos adams apple is her balls. She has no business calling anyone out on weight or what is not good for her health.