Josh Barnett aiming for bout before end of 2012

As one of two remaining heavyweights on the Strikeforce roster Josh Barnett is in an interesting position where he is contracted for one more clash under the company’s banner but has zero indication on who his opponent will be. However, with fellow promotional peer Daniel Cormier already linked to a meeting with former UFC champion Frank Mir later this year, Barnett does know he wants to fight again sooner than later.

“I just want it. I don’t care where it happens, but I would absolutely assume it would be in Strikeforce,” said Barnett of his next fight in a conversation with MMA Interviews, adding he hoped to see action before the end of 2012. “There’s always someone who needs an ass-beating.”

“The Warmaster” didn’t elaborate further on who he hoped to face, simply wanting some level of competition and a paycheck.

Barnett had an eight-fight winning streak snapped in May after being outpointed by Cormier in one of the year’s best bouts. He holds an overall record of 31-6 with 26 stoppages and past success against the likes of Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

I too want to see Josh back in the cage. I am still a little irked that they sent Mir over to fight DC, as I have wanted to see Mir and Barnett battle for … shit, I want to say almost a decade.

It will be interesting to see who the UFC finds to fight Barnett (and avoid having to sign Timmeh). I can’t even think of another heavyweight besides Sao Palele as far as dudes Zuffa may have their eyes on.

• MickeyC says:

Funnt Faust, I was thinking Timmeh myself. Besides he is willing to work cheap, Minimum wage stuff. At this point he may be willing to work for food.HAHA

• fanoftna33 says:

the ufc should send in Kongo for this.

• Richard Stabone says:

Fedor!!!!

OK, got that out of my system.

• MCM says:

Still a good idea Richard.

I like the Kongo fight, but I’m one of the few that thinks Timmay has earned a shot. sigh* HW is still a super thin division.

• Lord Faust says:

One issue is that anyone they bring in, aside from Fedor, is going to get eaten alive unless Zuffa relaxes a little and sends someone over — like Kongo, who does have decent wrestling defence and clinch work.

• Richard Stabone says:

I know he had an unpleasant split with the UFC but what about Todd Duffee? I’d much rather see a dude like that bang with Barnett than freakin Timmy.

• joe mo mma says:

If we are to see another UFC crossover type match.. I wouldn’t mind seeing Barnett vs. Gonzaga/Nelson/Nogueira. any one of those fights would be entertaining to watch.

• Angry Mike says:

Meh. Barnett is Matt Lindland on steroids. Don’t care if he shows up in UFC, and doubt White wants him, anyway.

• Lord Faust says:

Dana said he’d be receptive… Which means about as much as “in the mix”.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

BROCK LESNAR!!! OVERROID IN JAPAN, UFC!!! that is all…..

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

I mean those as two options by the way, or steal Cole Konrad.

• AlphaOmega says:

Dana had a bad interview with Lesnar so that won’t happen. Overeem is still suspended, and Fertita already said that there won’t be anymore crossovers.