UFC 151 Conference Call Highlights

In less than two weeks UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones will put his title on the line against the legendary Dan Henderson in the main event at UFC 151. However, before the talented 205ers lock horns in Las Vegas they faced off over the phone earlier today in a conference call with media.

Things remained cordial throughout with each having takes on a variety of matters including TRT use, whether Henderson is being unfairly overlooked, why Jones is interested how his PPVs sell, and much more.

Five Ounces of Pain was on the line, listening in, and jotted down highlights from the festivities including a number of nuggets of information and a handful of quotes.

Read below for highlights of what each had to say, as well as for some comments from UFC President Dana White who participated early on in the call:

Jon Jones:

– Thinks his chin has been tested, isn’t “proud” about being able to take a punch since those things slow careers down
– Feels people are discounting Henderson’s chances “but I’m definitely not”
– Calls the match-up “high risk, high reward” / Says he feels he’s fighting a current champion in some ways based on Henderson’s Strikeforce gold
– Won’t make the mistake of gassing out against Henderson as other past opponents have
– Isn’t going to apologize for being business savvy and being concerned about PPV numbers because he refuses to end up as a broke athlete
– Has been easier and easier to get ready for title-fights based on his experience in them
– “Life is life. I think what people don’t realize is just because you’re a pro athlete doesn’t mean you’re always a professional. We’re all human. We all do things that we regret. I’m moving forward in my life and I’m actually grateful that happened. Things could have been so much worse for me.”
– Likes Henderson on a personal level, calls him a “man’s man”
– “I believe that if you’re healthy enough to play a sport you shouldn’t take any performance enhancing drugs or any testosterone. Fighters make a lot of money in their 20s, make a lot of money in their 30s, but when you’re in your 40s you’re in your 40s. I don’t think you should be able to take a drug to make you as strong as you were in your 30s.”
– Has no problem with non-athletes using TRT but doesn’t think it belongs in the sport

Dan Henderson:

– “I’m excited about it. It’s a fight I’ve been waiting for and working towards. One of the final goals I have is to get that UFC belt.”
– “I know what I’m capable of.” / Likes being the underdog
– “He’s a tougher one to figure out than most are.”
– Still thinks Jones is a bit sloppy with his striking

Dana White:

– Could see Henderson making another title-run even if he loses to Jones
– Confirms Hendo is a Hall of Famer, win or lose
– “Dan Henderson has been around forever. He’s fought everybody at every weight-class. He’s one of these guys who will always step up and take a fight no matter who it is.”

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Creature says:

Glad to see Dana officially guarantee Hendo a spot in the HOF. Everyone knows he has definitely earned it.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Dana has said a lot of things that are completely bullshit. If Hendo pisses White off like before, White will turn on him quicker than you can say Andre Arlovski.

• Creature says:

True.. but he has also given into the demands of a shit ton of angry fans blowing up his twitter before as well, and i think if he turned on Hendo like that it would backfire on him very fast.

• Angry Mike says:

It’s canceled. Hendo tore his ACL. Chael Sonnen stepped up to replace him, but Jones’ camp/Jackson said he wouldn’t fight Sonnen on eight days’ notice. White’s pissed off.

• Creature says:

I read it was a partial tear of his MCL. But still royally sucks ass. I was looking forward to seeing Hendo take it to Jones more than any other fight this year and also pissed Jones camp didnt accept the Chael fight. That would have been good for as long as it lasted

• AlphaOmega says:

Probably one of the few times Bisping made me laugh, and respect him a tiny bit:

michael ?@bisping

Jones said he’s not fighting chael on 8 days notice. I did. …. Just sayin

He lost though. :)

Also:

And even those its not listed on that site, Joe Rogan’s stand up gig was cancelled by mandala bay, spelled that wrong I know, due to the UFC not having a show there.

Youre right faust he did

• AlphaOmega says:

Oh I forgot to say what the link is. It’s a list of a lot of the tweets with fighters responses to the cancelling, and Jones backing out of the fight with Chael

• Richard Stabone says:

Has a UFC champion ever been asked to face a new opponent on less than 10 days notice?

I mean I understand the natural fan reaction but we’re talking about something unprecedented here, right?

• Lord Faust says:

The hate for JBJ here is absurd. Dana White is mad because one fight being off ruins the card; that is the promoter’s fault.

I am still not a fan, but JBJ has it right when he says he fights for money. Figures, one of the few honest men in that regard gets thrown under the bus by Dana, Rogan (who seems more like Dana’s sock puppet every day), and now Chael — the unofficial company spokesman.

Again, if you’re angry here you need to be upset that Hendo got hurt and that the UFC put together such a dubious card that there was no contingency plan or even a legit co-main event.

Dana sounded like a spoiled child in the media call and throwing their champion under the bus makes them look bush league and petulant.

Again, I say this as a guy who probably gives JBJ less benefit of the doubt than he deserves.

• Lord Faust says:

*here refers to this situation, not 5oz specifically — sorry for the confusion.

• AlphaOmega says:

It is unprecedented, but due to Jones backing out of a fight with Chael, 20 other fighters now don’t get paid either. While it upsets me that Jones backed out, especially after he said he didn’t want to fight Machida cuz he didn’t want to be a broke athlete and now decided to just not fight at all. It’s also on the UFC for completely cancelling it, they could of just bumped fights up, granted it would of done horrible numbers, but a card would of still been shown, and the other fighters would of still been paid.

• Lord Faust says:

This is going to be some sour medicine, but ultimately when we get major value at UFC 152 I think people will relax a little.

We were looking at two PPVs in September, and even I didn’t see $100 value spread across them.

This is a promoter problem; the fact Team Jackson didn’t bail Dana and co. out just shows that maybe the UFC and Dana get a little too much credit for what they do. (I mean, after-all, if JBJ has the power to “murder UFC 151″ as they said in their press release then IMO I read that as a sign they don’t know how to run their own business.)

• AlphaOmega says:

Its a huge blow that hurts a lot of people, so all of the reactions aren’t public friendly, or what they should be. Dana and company are very pissed right now so probably not thinking straight. The question is did they only ask Jones to fight Chael? Cuz I’m sure there’s a lot of LHW’s that would of stepped up. Hell machida probably would of stepped up since he said he wanted to fight sooner then wait for Jones after the Hendo fight. They could of offered it to other people, but instead chael would of made them lots of money and cancelled when that didn’t happen

• YetiLee says:

If Jones really fought for money as he claimed then he would have taken the Sonnen fight in a second. Let’s be honest here love him or hate him Sonnen is a draw and that fight would sell more than Hendo/Jones. So if Jones was being legit in that he fights only for money then this fight would have made him the money he craves so much. Jones once again showed everybody who he truly is.

• AlphaOmega says:

..Faust, we need to stop posting around the same time..it screws up our responses.

• Lord Faust says:

The Sonnen fight on 8 days notice, with no time to promote it is the definition of absurd. And would be a waste of a major marketing opportunity.

Sonnen is coming off a one-sided stomping at a lower weight-class. There is no legitimate reason he should be challenging Jones for the title at this point. Anyone with half a brain would turn that down on 8 days notice. All it does is serve to boost Chael, meanwhile if Jones won then he’d get all sorts of flack for beating up an “out of shape 185’er with no UFC wins at LHW” as many have said.

JBJ fighting Sonnen at some point in the future make sense. Chael played this perfectly; he turned into a hero and made Jones a villain by agreeing to a fight he knew would not happen.

Let’s also not forget Dana’s exact words 2 days before this shit-show:

“He’s not coming off the Silva fight and just talking his way into a 205lbs title shot”

But nevertheless, people are falling for his character assassination.

• AlphaOmega says:

If Jones won I don’t think he would of gotten flack for all of that. I think what people saw is that a champion stepped up and accepted a fight to help out his bosses. They would of seen him as a company man, and I think that would of boosted his stock more then the fight itself.

• Lord Faust says:

Maybe, but again, I think it’s a terrible fight to burn up as a last-minute replacement. Sonnen, as much as I have started to like the guy, is not a credible challenger right now. At least if Machida had thrown his hat into the mix, there’d be some legitimacy. As it stands, Jones -vs- Chael is a terrible consolation prize.

• AlphaOmega says:

Also I think between all the heat against Jones and Jacksons, I think Jacksons will end up getting the worst of it and faltering the most from this. Since it was Greg Jackson that told Jones to turn down the fight since that was the worst mistake he could make in his career. Once the dust settles, itll be a fighter listening to his coach.

• Lord Faust says:

The UFC can’t hurt Greg Jackson, they can only hurt themselves.

• Lord Faust says:

It’s funny, people were bitching about the overall quality of this PPV card. Now that it’s supposedly JBJ’s fault the event is cancelled, suddenly people are acting like Jones murdered their cat in front of them.

• AlphaOmega says:

I don’t mean the UFC hurting Greg Jackson, I mean fighters and fans turning their back on them, its a possibility, might not happen and it might. Just saying that I think the flack against Jones goes away faster then it does against Jackson.

Ok since i refreshed constantly to wait your second response, here’s my reply to your first. It makes you wonder if the UFC even tried asking other fighters first, or if they were just like Chael stepped up, we give it to him, *while seeing dollar signs after dollar signs of the trash talk*, oh crap Jones turned it down, you know what fuck it lets cancel the whole thing. Nope don’t bother calling any other fighter, dont listen if they call stepping up, fuck it, chael vs jones was big money now its fucked.

Dammit faust..

• Lord Faust says:

I doubt Greg Jackson or his team has anything to worry about. Greg’s results speak for themselves. Guys like GSP, Condit, and Jones are right at the top of their division. Fighters care about themselves and their payday (as they should) — they’ll work with whoever can benefit them the most.

• AlphaOmega says:

by the way that was suppose to be off the trash talk, not of

• Lord Faust says:

Chael is a master, by the way…

Do you honestly think his back-and-forth on Twitter with JBJ was a coincidence. Dan’s had this injury for a while (there were pics of him sparring in a knee brace). Chael is a master opportunist and he engineered this weeks in advance. I can’t even put into words my appreciation for that kind of deviousness.

• AlphaOmega says:

Even if Dan hasn’t been injured, I always figured Chael started the trash talking to get in Jones’ head so that he would over look Henderson, who’s Chaels buddy. So even from that side Chael’s a master/good friend.

• Lord Faust says:

As with most things involving two extremes in thought, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Still, the random Twitter war — with zero provocation — seems too coincidental to be a coincidence, in the words of Yogi Bera.

• Richard Stabone says:

Talk about an H-Bomb being dropped. Canceling a PPV card…an event taking place in Vegas…during a holiday weekend…this is enormous. What a freakin bummer.

A few initial thoughts…

1) This Chael guy never ceases to amaze. That sumbitch nearly talked himself right into a title shot. Now obviously this is highly unusual circumstances, and apparently Chael wasn’t the first choice as DW reports other guys turned down the offer, but still… somehow, some way a guy with a total of one fight in the UFC at LHW (which happened over 5 years ago and Chael lost btw) was offered & accepted a shot at Bones’ title. The fact that was even an option on the table is pretty incredible; the Chael hype machine continues to fire on all cylinders.

2) So I wonder who else was offered the fight? Names like Gustafsson & Teixeira naturally come to mind, but I can’t blame anyone for not fighting Jones on short notice. Jones has been preparing all along and is right on schedule to fight 9/1, all revved up to go. But for whoever was going to step in as a replacement they couldn’t possibly have been prepared mentally & physically to fight 10 days from now (nevermind a main event title fight against an undefeated wrecking machine). If I’m Gustafsson, one win away from a shot anyway, I take my chances going thru Shogun rather than force the issue by taking this fight. But I would imagine most fans don’t see it that way. I wonder if the names of guys who turned down the offer will eventually be leaked.

3) DW will bitch & moan to the press about this fight (and entire event) falling thru. And how a champion refused to fight. Which is all fine & good, but I wonder how much of an effort the UFC really made to salvage this event. What type of kickback did they offer Jones to accept a completely different opponent 10 days out? As a holiday weekend card, this figured to be one of the top-10 biggest events of the year. So canceling it is obviously a huge hit to the UFC. So did they offer to double Jones’ payday? And were they prepared to triple it if necessary? Or did DW just take the typically ridig strongarm approach, and then bitch & moan when he doesn’t get his way?

4) So Bones wouldn’t budge. He had told us earlier he wouldn’t allow Chael to talk his way to a title shot, and we can now see that Jones said what he meant & damn sure meant what he said. He’s already catching a ton of flak for this, but he stayed true to his word. Chael’s talk & overall act has certainly paid dividends during his UFC career, but part of his act has involved disrespecting fellow fighters which naturally rubs some fighters the wrong way. Well, it definitely came back to bite Chael in the ass this time around. If Chael had expressed his intent to move to LHW without immediately firing away at the champion, talking about snatching away his belt like stealing candy from a punk kid, would Jones have been so adamant about not fighting him? Who knows, but for Chael the chickens have come home to roost.

AlphaOmega shared an interesting link above that shows a bunch of the tweets coming out rapid fire from other fighters. Similar to the general fan sentiment, Jones’ decision not to settle for the Chael fight was an unpopular one. But it’s sorta easy for them to say. How many of them have been in Jones’ position, holding a UFC belt & trying to defend to protect his position as champion and all that comes with it?

Scrolling thru the tweets I see comments from only one UFC champion (former or current), with Bendo tweeting the following:

“For all the ppl who don’t understand the SPORT OF MMA…ask an NFL team to play the Superbow vs a not worthy opponent…”

It’s a bit of an awkward statement but I get what he’s trying to say. I think Jason High was able to cut right to the heart of it with his tweet…

“Screw u guys calling him selfish man. I can’t stand fans. Of course he’s selfish. Who’s gonna take care of his shit if he doesn’t? You?”

5) And finally, the silver lining in all this is that all those fans lighting up the forums & twitter about how excited they are to see Machida face Jones again, which will now happen in just a few short weeks. File this one under “Careful what ya wish for.”

• AlphaOmega says:

“As a holiday weekend card” Which holiday? I’m so out of the loop and suck at remembering holidays as it is. Also, were you refreshing constantly as well until we stopped typing?

Ok now to some of your points. I don’t think this bit Chael on the ass, actually I think this boosted chael’s stock and will more then likely give him a title shot after one win, where as before I believed he wouldn’t of gotten it, only after two wins. I think that some of the other points i kinda touched on my opinion already, so no need to give people more reading in repeating the same thing. I will say I get both sides, is Jones a bit of a bitch for turning down the fight when he’s the champ? maybe (yes), Is it all Jones’ fault that the card got cancelled? No.